Status: updating whenever

No Happily Ever After

Chapter 20

‘Rian, I feel sick.’ I mumbled, a week later. We were standing awkwardly by the gate, waiting for Alex to get back.
‘Don’t think about it.’ He suggested. ‘Flying is fine.’
‘People die, Rian.’
‘People also die in car crashes, falling down the stairs, chopping tomatoes… What?’
‘People don’t die from chopping up vegetables!’ I laughed despite my anxiety.
‘How do you know?’ He snorted. Kara, half asleep, opened her eyes at the sudden sound.
‘Baby, are we here yet?’
‘We haven’t even left.’
‘Oh…’ She swore and sighed, closing her eyes and trying to fall back asleep. Jack was leaping about, excited for the upcoming ride and trying in vain to get Zack to dance with him.
‘Are you drunk?’ I heard Zack hiss.
‘Just high.’ Jack sang. It was freezing cold, so wrapped up in multiple scarves and a strange jacket, he looked oddly bulky. ‘Ellaaaaa!’ He sprinted over, and lifted me up with him. Several people stared over at us, but he ignored them. ‘I’m so excited.’
‘So am I!’ I grinned as he grabbed my hand and pulled me along with him, dancing around. Alex joined in too, and twirled us both around.
‘You guys are so embarrassing.’ Kara rolled her eyes.
I stuck my tongue out. ‘C’mon, Kara, you know you want to.’ Before she could protest, we had her in our embrace.
‘Guys, I think we should get on the plane now.’ Jack told us, seriously. A few people clicked photos, but that was expected. I followed Jack onto the plane, unzipping my faded green jacket and hanging it over my chair. I had the window seat, with Jack next to me, Alex next to him, Zack next to him, and Rian next to him and Kara on the end. First class was great.
We spent the majority of the 2 hour plane ride playing truth or dare, and I Have Never.
‘Rian, you go first.’ Jack commanded.
‘I have never… watched Jersey Shore… Or whatever it’s called.’
Jack peeled off his shoes and scoffed at my surprised look. ‘It was late and I couldn’t sleep.’
‘I have never…’ He paused. ‘There’s a lot I have done… Uh, taken weed.’
Alex jerked the baseball cap off of his head and surprisingly nobody questioned it. I felt surprised – he seemed… Not the type to take weed. Regardless, it wasn’t my place to judge him.
‘I have never cried over a guy.’ He chuckled. ‘Nope, never.’
I took my left shoe off and threw it into the pile, as did Kara and Jack.
‘Jack, you cried over a guy?’ I sighed. ‘You watched The Notebook, didn’t you?’
He blushed. ‘Listen, it was on TV and Rian dared me to watch it!’
Rian grinned at the memory.
‘I have never…’ I bit my lip, trying hard not to laugh. ‘Cried over a girl.’
All of the guys threw an article of their clothing in the pile.
‘I have never…’ Zack shrugged. ‘Been in love.’
I tugged my necklace off of my body and threw it into the pile. Kara had only a shirt and a pair of jeans left; she threw Rian a guilty look before peeling off the shirt to reveal her undershirt. He protectively wrapped his arms around her – not that any of the guys would even try to hurt Kara.
‘I have never…’ Kara tapped her lip with her finger, deep in thought. ‘Someone help me!’ She sighed. ‘I have never lost an athletics race. How lame is that?’
I was the only person who didn’t throw something in the pile.
‘Really, Dawson?’
‘I was the perfect girl, remember?’ I teased, linking arms with Jack whilst playfully glaring at Zack.
‘Um, guys, we’re here…’ The hostess poked her head into the first class area, and bit her lip at the sight of 4 half naked guys, a girl wearing a transparent undershirt and another wearing a lacy dress and nothing else.
The guys pulled on their clothes, and I traced the goosebumps on Jack’s arm. He shivered from the warmth of my touch, and reached down to press his lips to mine. I wrapped my arms around him, our bodies pressing in more than at least 5 places, and trying hard to ignore the lack of oxygen getting to my lungs.
Things weren’t right, so having Jack in my arms like this was something I was going to take advantage of. All too soon, Zack cleared his throat, and we sprang apart guiltily. Or Jack did, obviously regretting the embrace. I tried hard not to start crying as I grabbed my clothes and slid into my jacket.
I stuck to Kara whilst waiting for our luggage, and she took the hint.
‘I need to go to the ladies. Coming, Ella?’
‘Please.’ I jumped up and walked with her to the restroom. Once we were in there, she turned on me.
‘Ella, what’s wrong?’ She wrapped her arms around my shoulders. ‘Is it Jack?’
I nodded, not trying to hide the tears.
‘That boy… He doesn’t even realise…’ She muttered to herself. ‘Do you want Rian to talk to him?’
‘I just want my Jack back.’ I mumbled. Her face was devastated – I wasn’t getting my Jack back anytime soon.
‘Oh, baby.’ She mumbled, holding me.
She wet a paper towel with cold water, and I pressed it to my swollen eyes. She hitched herself onto the counter and swung her legs. ‘Jack’s a faggot, Ella. Anyone would treat you better.’
I pressed the towel to my eyes again, desperate to hold back the saltwater tears again. She took a look at my face and her face fell.
‘This is hard for you to hear, obviously, but there’s something out there that will treat you right. The only thing stopping that guy is his morals, and I know him, Ella. He values his life and his friends too much to make a move.’ She hugged me again. ‘Do you want to spend more time in here, or should we go?’
‘Let’s go.’ I sniffed, and followed her out. Jack was talking to a girl with dark hair, but Zack watched me with wary eyes. Kara stuck by my side until I was folded into a hug by Zack.
‘What’s up?’
‘Long story. I’ll tell you later.’ I smiled as he linked arms with me and we made our way back to Alex. He was shoving our many cases into two taxi cabs alone.
‘Jack, help me, faggot.’ He yelled. The girl held her phone out to him, and he thumbed something into it before handing it back. She smiled and shoved it back into her pocket.
‘He’s not stupid, Ella.’ Zack whispered in my ear. ‘Trust him.’
My legs threatened to give way, but I tried hard not to show how much it bothered me. I gratefully squeezed into the window seat of the cab with Zack in the middle and Alex next to him. Jack was riding with Kara and Rian.
Ok then.
‘What’s she like?’
‘She’s cool.’ Zack shrugged. ‘Pretty, nice… Smart beyond belief. She’s cheerful too. Super sweet, aswell.’
‘Really? Alex, why did you break up with her?’ I demanded.
Alex gave me the finger and I stuck my tongue out at him, before resting my head on Zack’s shoulder. He rested his head on mine and squeezed my hand. It felt nice, overall.
‘We’re here.’ Alex announced, about 15 minutes later. I stood by the cab with Zack as he paid, and we automatically took hands. His were warm, although the snow clung to them making the cold outweigh the warmth.
Without waiting for the others, we made our way to where Alex and a girl with shoulder length dirt blonde hair that turned upwards at the corners. She was beautiful.
‘Hey, Ella. Meet Lisa.’ He had his arm around her shoulders, and once she turned to face us fully, I saw how pretty she really was. Her dark brown eyes were alight with happiness, and she’d lined them, badly – but it looked adorable. She wore an open shirt, a pair of shorts with tights and converse sneakers and a band tee. She was so pretty!
‘I’m Ella.’ I smiled and stuck my hand out formally. She reached out and hugged me though.
‘I’m Lisa!’ She squealed.
Alex immediately took her back, wrapping both his arms around her. ‘I love you, Lisa.’
Flushed pink, she nervously answered his sudden words. ‘I love you too, Alex. Now why are you here?’
‘I wanted to see you.’
She shook her head. ‘What about when you were on tour, hm?’ Her glittery brown eyes were filled with tears.
‘Lisa…’ He said her name as if it were the prettiest word out there. The love saturated out of it, and I couldn’t believe Alex could love a girl so much. To me, he was always a one-night stander.
‘Zack!’ She shrieked, temporarily distracted. Ignoring Alex’s murmurs, she threw herself into Zack’s arms and he hugged her gladly.
‘I’ve missed you, Lisa.’
‘I’ve missed you too.’ She punched his arm affectionately. ‘Is Ella your girlfriend?’
I froze and shook my head. ‘I’m dating Jack.’
She frowned but then smiled. ‘As long as you’re both happy.’ She skipped off into the house. ‘And where is Rian?’ She yelled.
Alex chuckled. ‘He’s coming.’
‘And Kara?’ Her face lit up. ‘Are they still together?’
‘Probably getting engaged soon.’ Zack replied, a smile playing on his lips.
‘Oh my gosh! I’ve missed them so much.’ She narrowed her eyes playfully at Alex who stared at her with adoring eyes. ‘I love you, Alex!’ She shrieked, jumping straight into his arms. Shaken, he held her and kissed her.
She was so strange, but so sweet.
‘Lisa!’ Jack screamed, making a beeline straight to her. She jumped out of Alex’s arms and straight into Jack’s and the two of them danced around.
‘Jackie! Your girlfriend is so hot.’ She hugged him tightly. ‘Look after her.’
‘I will, Lisa.’ He promised, not looking at her in the eye.
She didn’t even notice; she was suddenly with Rian and Kara, squeezing the life out of them both.
‘She is so full of charisma.’ I mumbled to Zack who grinned.
‘Tell me about it. So perky and…’
‘Adorable!’
‘Come on, guys.’ She beamed, grabbing my hand and dragging me inside with Kara, who had an amused grin on her face.
‘Gosh, Lisa, you haven’t changed at all.’
‘Neither have you. Still sports obsessed, I see.’
The two of them conversed over old times, completely forgetting the abandoned members of All Time Low outside.
‘I’ll go get Zack. He must be freezing.’ I grinned and the two girls escorted me out to the guys. They’d lumbered the cases into Lisa’s main room, and were watching TV. Lisa sat in Alex’s lap, playing with his hand like a child. Kara and Rian smiled at each other from across the room, and me? I was wedged between Zack and Jack like the awkward person I was. Jack chatted happily to Rian, completely oblivious to my presence. I sighed and started talking to Zack.

‘Ella, let me do your make up.’ Lisa pleaded. ‘Please!’ We’d been here for 2 weeks now.
‘Why, Lisa?’
She struck me over with her charm. She acted like a complete fool, but she was more observant than even Zack. Everything that came out of her mouth was either stupidity, or something with another meaning.
‘Because then Jack will love you.’ She replied, simply.
I tried to laugh it off. ‘He already does.’
‘Uh-huh, sure. He’s a faggot, and you could do better.’
‘I don’t want better.’ I scowled but Kara stopped me.
‘She’s right. He completely ignored you.’ Kara was wise – something she picked up from being with Rian.
‘We’re on a rough patch.’
‘Honey, even Alex doesn’t treat me like that.’ She spoke in a fake black woman accent, but stopped and started talking seriously. ‘We didn’t see each other, but he never ignored me. Never.’
‘We’re on a rough patch.’
‘And you could do better without him. He needs to learn how to treat you.’
‘I wonder if he’d still ignore you if you stopped hanging with Zack.’ Lisa mused.
I choked on my coffee. ‘Seriously? You’re blaming Zack.’
‘Ella…’ Kara wrapped her arms around me. ‘You do hang around with Zack a lot.’
‘So it’s not ok for me to have a friend?’ I scowled. ‘Jack is a faggot.’
Lisa noticed my tears, and immediately got up, a determined air in the way she walked.
‘Oh gosh.’ Kara gasped. ‘Jack’s in for it now.’
‘Pardon?’
‘When Rian made me cry, she beat the crap out of him and made him apologize. I feel sorry for Jack now.’ Her lips quivered, and I noticed she was indisputably feeling sorry for Jack.
She got up, taking me with her, and crept out to the room where the boys were staying. We placed our ears onto the door, desperate to hear what was being said.
‘You are a faggot!’ It was Lisa shrieking.
‘Lisa, leave him.’ Rian pleaded. ‘You’re going to kill him!’
‘I’m glad!’ She growled. ‘He’s a ba-‘
‘Lisa, stop it!’ Alex was begging her now. I heard them sigh in relief, and then Jack shout back.
‘What the hell was that for, you bi-‘
‘Don’t finish that sentence, Jack Barakat,’ she warned. ‘Or that will be the last sentence you will ever say.’
‘Then answer it.’ He yelled.
‘Because you’re making Ella cry!’
‘I knew it.’ Rian gave a whistle.
‘And what have I done, exactly, to make her cry, hm?!’ Jack was really angry now.
‘Ignored her. What kind of sick boyfriend does that?!’ She hissed.
‘Ella’s crying?’ I heard Zack ask.
‘Even Zack cares more than you do, Jack. She’s your girlfriend, and a devoted one at that!’ Lisa roared.
‘Oh, Zack’s much better than me, isn’t he? Why doesn’t she go out with Zack then, hm?’
‘Jack Barakat, you are the stupidest guy I have ever met. She loves you. You, Jack stupid Bassam Barakat. And if you are too idiotic to realise that, you don’t deserve her.’
I let out a choked sob, and suddenly everything went quiet.
‘Ella?’ It was Zack. ‘Are you there?’
I crawled away, only to have Zack lift me up.
I didn’t know where we were going until I opened my eyes. We were sitting on the floor in the bathroom, and he was holding me.
‘Ella, how much did you hear?’
I shook my head. ‘He doesn’t care, Zack! He doesn’t care about me anymore.’
‘Ella, I’m so sorry.’
‘How long did you suspect this?’ I whispered, looking up at him.
‘Pretty much ever since he gave another girl his number.’
I gasped.
‘Ella, I’m sorry you had to hear that. Jack is… So stupid and you don’t deserve this. Now, listen to me.’ He was still holding my hands and I sniffed. ‘If you love him, you’ll make him see that he can’t treat you like this anymore. Because you’re not happy, and neither is he. He’s acting like he’s single and that’s not cool. He… He is a…’ Zack struggled to find words to explain what exactly Jack was. ‘Go to sleep, Ella. Lisa and Kara will take care of you.’
He lifted me again, and helped me walk into Lisa’s room. Kara had red-rimmed eyes, Lisa looked absolutely furious and I was glad when Zack pushed me into their arms. I felt as lifeless as a limp rag doll.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here it is. The chapter I hated to write, but everyone knows it was bound to happen.
If you do stay subscribed, the drama does go away, I promise. c:
Anyway, ENJOY.