Status: updating whenever

No Happily Ever After

Chapter 25

‘What do you think of this?’ I seized a black sequinned dress, holding it against myself. Alex nodded in appreciation and went back to browsing through the dresses with me.
And why was I dress shopping with Alex? Because Mary and her boyfriend wanted to meet up for dinner so we could discuss my living arrangements. Of course, I hadn’t told anyone that – least of all Jack or Zack. Last time I left, Zack had point blank refused to let me go and Jack had attempted to throw the most miserable leaving party ever.
Oh, Jack. I had no idea what had gone through our heads during Christmas, but I knew, without a doubt, that we weren’t getting together. After a near kiss on New Years, we’d completely ignored each other to the point where things were getting ridiculous. Sighing, I lifted up the lacy snowy dress and dragged it to the checkout.
‘I don’t understand why you feel the need to buy a completely new dress just for Mary coming back.’ Alex mumbled as I handed over my card.
‘It’s the sign of being a good sister.’ I replied, shoving my wallet back into my bag. I grabbed the bag, smiled graciously at the assistant and dragged Alex out of the store, desperate to get this shopping expedition out of the way.
‘So what happened between you and Zack and Jack?’ Alex asked nonchalantly, sipping on an iced coffee.
‘What do you mean?’
‘Well, none of you are talking, and Zack won’t stop throwing Jack dirty looks every time they’re in the same room together.’ Alex shrugged. ‘It kinda makes me and Rian wonder what happened.’
‘I wish I knew.’ I replied, curling a strand of my honey coloured hair behind my ear. I felt a brush grow on my cheeks as I thought of Zack and Jack fighting over me. It just wasn’t something I really pictured, but I knew Alex was probably telling the truth – he didn’t lie. I wasn’t sure who I truly wanted, because whilst Jack could be absolutely perfect, his mood changed startlingly quickly and Zack would be the one to clean things up afterwards. Because of this, there was a new animosity between the former best friends and I was wedged between it.
By the time we got back to Jack’s house, there was no one there. Zack was inevitably at the gym, having neglected his muscles for too long, and Jack was probably attempting to find a party. Rian and Kara were obviously together and Lisa was at the library.
‘What do you wanna do?’ Alex dumped my bags at the bottom of the stairs and threw himself onto the sofa.
‘What do you want to do?’ I shot back, grinning.
‘For starters, you could get yourself out of that coat and explain why your hot sister’s back in town.’
I sat down in seat next to him and draped my legs across his lap. Maybe in another world, this’d be called flirting, but flirting to Alex was outright telling him that you liked him and perhaps winking seductively.
‘She was just passing through and wanted to see me.’ I lied, running a hand through my bushy tangled mess of hair.
‘Yeah, right.’ Alex snorted. ‘I know you’re lying.’
‘What?’ I frowned. ‘I’m not lying.’
‘Tell me the real reason, El. You’ve been jumpy all morning.’
I shook my head.
Alex was incredibly perceptive – when he wasn’t flirting or with Lisa. I didn’t spend much time with Rian, simply because Kara was always with him so I had no idea whether or not he was this insightful, but I knew Jack wasn’t like Alex and Zack. I sighed.
‘She wants to discuss where I’m living.’
‘But you’re staying here.’ He frowned.
I threw him a withering look. ‘Mary doesn’t really trust me living in a house of 4 males and 3 females. Trust me, if I wanted to stay, I would.’
He shook his head. ‘This is about Jack and Zack, isn’t it?’
I didn’t answer. I wasn’t entirely sure about Mary’s motives, but I guessed that the awkwardness of the current situation would be one of them.
‘Listen, Ella. You’ve had fun with Jack, but each time he ignores you, or you’re upset, you go to Zack. I know you’re attracted to him and well… What I’m trying to say is that you should give Zack a try. And then if things don’t work out, you can both move on and things could get better. But you’re just stuck in this awkward mess and you need to decide something now.’
‘What’s the point?’ I mumbled. ‘I could be leaving soon.’
‘We’ll make sure you don’t. You’ve already left us once.’ He reminded me, grinning. ‘And come on, we’ll throw more parties and you can get a tattoo! You promised you’d get one during the tour but you didn’t so now you have to.’
‘A tattoo?’ I shook my head. ‘Not my thing.’
‘C’mon, El.’ He whined, tugging a strand of my hair. I grabbed his hand and sighed.
‘Fine! But not today.’
‘Soon?’
‘Soon.’ I promised.

‘So, how was your Christmas?’ I asked, trying to keep things civil. It was difficult with Mary – her perfectly shaped eyebrows gave her a permanent look of disbelief and that annoyed me.
‘Average. The guys at work threw a giant party and we got totally hammered. What about you?’
‘The guys and their parents came over to Jack’s and we all just sort of chilled there.’ I replied, fiddling with a strand of my hair. ‘It was a lot of fun.’
‘Right.’ She set down her soup spoon and sighed. ‘I’m thinking you might need to move back in with me.’
‘Excuse me?’ I shook my head. ‘You don’t understand. Those guys are my best friends, and I’m not leaving them.’
She quickly changed the subject. ‘How’re you and Jack?’
I shrugged. ‘We were fine on Christmas, now we’re… I don’t know. I miss him.’
‘Have you even tried talking to him?’ Mary scolded. Knowing her, she probably had tons of experience in dealing with guys like Jack.
‘Yes.’ I shot her an irritated look. ‘Clearly, it didn’t work out.’
‘And this is why you need to move back in with me! I can help you with these things.’
‘I’m not leaving! Even if I have to move back in with Mom and Mason, I will. But I’m not leaving them alone.’
Mary placed a hand over mine. ‘Do you really think Mom and Mason would take you back? You deliberately went on tour with your boyfriend when she told you not to, and you know about her and Dad. I don’t think either of them wants us around.’ She smiled wearily, and for the first time, I wondered how her moving out had affected her.
‘Mary, when I last came to live with you, you completely ignored me.’
‘That was different. You were depressed over Ja-‘
‘Mary, it was just over a month ago!’ I protested. ‘Let me live with them and prove to you that it’ll be okay. If things don’t work out, I promise you that I’ll come and live with you.’
‘I don’t know, Ella. I’m worried about you.’ Her face crumpled. ‘I lost Mom, I lost Dad and now I feel like I’m losing you.’
I sat there, completely stunned. My vicious, beautiful older sister had shed some light on a viewpoint I had never completely understood. She was right, though. She’d argued constantly with Mom until eventually, they’d stopped talking completely, and when Dad had eventually left, she had too. I was the only part of our family that she had any contact with.
I got up, scraping my chair back, and wrapped my arms around her neck. ‘Mary, I’ll never leave you.’
She nodded, dabbing at her eyes. ‘We’ll discuss this next time I’m in town.’ She flashed a dazzling smile. ‘Until then, you can stay with the guys.’
I smiled. ‘I love you, Mary.’

I’d excitedly told the news to Alex, who’d screamed with delight and insisted on ordering pizza. Jack still wasn’t home, even at 1am and Zack was busy talking to Lisa.
‘I’m bored.’ Lisa threw herself backwards, interrupting Zack in the middle of their conversation. ‘Zaaaaaaacky! Lexi! Ella! Let’s do something fun tonight!’
‘We have pizza.’ I held up a slice, speaking around a mouthful of cheese.
She wrinkled her nose. ‘That’s not much!’
‘I’m so sorry, your highness.’ Alex grabbed her by her hand and pulled her up, waltzing her around the room. She played along, until he eventually wrapped his arms around her and pressed his nose against hers. The intimacy of the situation made Lisa obviously nervous, because she pulled away and grabbed some pizza.
‘We need something fun to do.’ Lisa whined. ‘Ella, come out with me?’
‘Where to?’
‘I don’t know, somewhere fun! We’ll all find a party or something.’
‘No, no parties!’ Alex protested. ‘We have too many.’
‘We’re not throwing it, stupid.’ Lisa rolled her eyes. ‘I’m bored, though!’

ZACK POV
I sat there, listening to an angry Lisa throw insults at Alex, who had no idea how to respond. Ella was giggling behind pizza slice after pizza slice.
‘Lisa, why don’t you go to a party alone?’ I suggested, attempting to, at the very least, lighten things up.
‘It’ll be boring.’ She mumbled. In that single moment, Alex had her in his arms and was soundly preventing any further arguments by kissing her quickly.
‘A party would be fun though.’ Ella smiled at me. ‘I mean, we haven’t had one in what feels like weeks.’
‘Does the one over Christmas count?’ I probed, grinning.
‘Well, considering everyone’s parents were there… No.’ She bit into what seemed like her 11th slice of pizza and laughed.
‘We’re going to a party, damnit Gaskarth!’ Lisa shrieked, angry again.
‘Fine!’ Alex yelled, grabbing her hand and dragging her out. As Lisa stormed out furiously, he ran back and pressed his lips to Ella’s cheek. She smiled at him as he followed Lisa out.
‘So what are we doing now?’ She crossed her legs and offered me the pizza box.
I wasn’t quite sure what had happened. We’d been on speaking terms since Christmas, where she’d fawned over Jack with idiocy, but now he was barely home and she was still just as naïve as before. I wasn’t even sure if she was single or not, but that didn’t stop her from clinging to Jack hopelessly.
My first thought was to write music or sing, but it was weird now. The intimacy of the simple acts of writing and singing and laughing was too awkward now.
‘We could play video games.’
Effortlessly, I had her beaten within 10 minutes.
‘Geez, Merrick, if I didn’t know any better, I’d think you did nothing but play video games.’
‘Well, it’s all I have left to do now that we’re not even talking.’
Did I really just say that? Really!? Of all things to say, I said that. Her expression was unreadable as she paused the game.
‘Come on, Ella. Stop acting the victim!’ I sighed. ‘You have it fine – you have 2 members of All Time Low prepared to kill themselves for you, and yet you continue to pretend that we’re the ones who have it easy.’
‘You’d think I would, wouldn’t you?! But the fact that my best friend and boyfriend don’t even understand me is enough to make me feel like crap. Okay, Zack!?’ She yelled the last part, throwing the controller onto the floor and storming upstairs.
Gee, did I feel crappy now?
‘Ella!’ I called out, sprinting to her room. I had to make things right for us. For her. I stood outside her door, sighing. ‘You know what? You’re right. I’m being selfish and spoilt and you don’t deserve any of this. But can you blame me?! I developed a crush on my best friends girlfriend, who reciprocates my feelings but still feels loyal to her faggot of a boyfriend! And I know Jack’s my best friend, I know that, but everyone agrees he’s been a jerk recently. And I’m sorry I’ve made you feel like this, but it’s hard for me too.’ I paused, but only because the door opened, and a tear stained Ella looked at me with reproachful, caught-in-the-headlights eyes.
‘Ella, I’m sorry.’
‘I’m sorry too.’ She whispered.
‘Don’t cry.’ I wrapped my arms around her waist, holding her gently against me. She relaxed, resting her head on my shoulder.
‘I didn’t mean to cause you all this pain, Zack.’ She mumbled. Her hand found mine, and she stared upwards at me. ‘I swear.’
‘I believe you.’ I replied. And just as quickly as my outburst had come, her lips came forwards and pressed themselves onto mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back, and wrapping this story up in a few more chapters! Then a sequel.
Exams are over so I'll be writing a looooot more and updating more! Yay hooray! :D

Keep smiling! xxx