Walking Contradictions

New Years Eve

Brad and Izzy sat on the roof, watching fireworks shoot off over the bay on New Years Eve. The sky lit up with a red flame and Brad pulled his girlfriend closer and kissed the side of her head. "I'm so glad I have you," He whispered in her ear.

Izzy blushed and put a hand on Brad's knee. "You're too sweet,"

Blocks away, Anna and Seb sat with their legs hanging off the edge of the boardwalk that went over the frozen bay. Their faces glowed with the bright colors bursting over head.

"Never thought I'd spend more then a month outside of LA," Anna said with a sad smile on her face.

"Didn't think Dad was serious about leaving Australia," Seb sighed, slipping his arm around Anna's waist. "We can be homesick together,"

"Sounds good," She cracked a smile and kissed him gently as a firework exploded over head.

The couple arrived home with their dog Tre in tow an hour before midnight.

"Hey faggot," Brad taunted from the roof.

"What's up cracker," Anna called back, flipping her brother off, who just laughed.

"Get your ass inside before you freeze," Izzy called down.

"Get naked and have sex in the road? Whatever you say, sis," Seb smirked, pulling his jacket off.

"Seb!" Izzy called, watching as her idiot brother twirled his jacket around over his head. "Sebastian!"

"Elizabeth!" Seb shouted back, putting his jacket back on with a shiver. "Come on babe, let's get in," He took Anna's free hand and led her and her dog inside.

"Yeah take your asses in," Brad called as the door closed. "Dumb ass kids,"

"Yeah, because we were never that young," Izzy smirked.

"Nope, never was. I came out of the womb at age 17," He smiled, getting up. "Come on, I'm getting cold,"

As Anna and Seb walked in the house, they were greeted by Oz dancing around the living room. As soon as Tre was off his leash, he ran in and hopped around on his hind legs.

"You wanna join me?" Oz smiled, picking the pug up and bouncing him around in time to the song. "Hey Anna Banana! Where have you guys been," He asked the teenagers standing in the doorway.

"We went down to watch the fireworks," Anna said, taking her coat off. "I'm surprised you aren't having a party tonight,"

"All I know are my customers. I'm not inviting them over here," Oz scoffed, holding Tre on his hip like a baby. "They might try to rob us," He looked at the dog he was holding. "Or try to steal you," He cooed. Tre seemed to smile back, agreeably that he wasn't worth the risk. "So what are you two gonna do for the next hour?"

"Hang out up in my room," Anna shrugged, looking at Seb, who looked eager to get away from the only adult in the house.

"No sex," Oz said in a stern voice, "and if you're gonna smoke, don't be greedy. Ooh I love this song!"

The pair nodded and slunk away and up the stairs as Oz danced around and sang along badly to Night Moves by Bob Seger.

Just before closing her bedroom door, Anna glanced down the hall and saw Brad and Izzy swaying along to the music blasting from the den. She smiled, glad to see that her brother was finally happy for the first time in years. She forced herself to close the door and flopped down beside Seb on her bed.

"God I thought my dad was the only person who liked this song," Seb smirked as the song that never seems to end wafted up through the air vent.

"It's fitting," Anna mumbled, starring up at her ceiling until Seb rolled on top of her and smiled.

"Whatcha thinkin about?" He asked, brushing a stray hair out of her face.

"Life," She sighed. "This time last year we were in the heart of LA at a huge party and I got separated and had a meltdown until Dad found me." She remembered tears streaming down her face and she frantically looked around for her father and brother for ten minutes before her father grabbed her wrist and pulled her into an alley and then held her for five minutes, shaking from fear that she had been kidnapped.

"Anna Anderson, don't you ever scare me like that again, do you understand me?" Her father scolded as he examined her to make sure she was ok. "Tryna give me a heart attack?"

"I'm sorry," She sniffled, trying to hide the tear stains on her cheeks.

Her father sighed and grabbed her hand, forcing his fingers between hers. "You hold my hand and don't let go no matter what, understand? Not even if a pack of elephants come through," He forced a grin and she couldn't help but crack and smile and nod.

"Ok daddy,"

"Alright, no more crying this year kiddo," He smiled, kissing her head. "Let's go have fun,"


"I wonder when he's gonna come home," She mumbled, "He's been gone for a week,"

"I'm sure he's fine hun. He'll be home soon." Seb smiled reassuringly. "If my mom can survive the army, your dad can survive this."

"I hope so," She whispered, almost to herself.

"Cheer up babe, the year's almost over. It's a fresh start,"

The pair stayed in Anna's room until 15 til midnight.

"Let's go gang," Oz called from the base of the stairs.

"Can we all have a beer?" Brad asked as he and Izzy came down hand in hand.

"Promise not to tell and sure," Oz said as he sipped on his martini. "Alright, mom and I always spent the last 15 of a year remembering everything and since you guys are family, let's do it." He leaned against the kitchen counter and looked around at the four teenagers in the kitchen with him. "Start us off Brad,"

"Alright guys," Brad said with a breath, handing out beers, "we've all survived another year. Shoot outs, crying, laughing, running for our lives. Hugging family, fighting, beating the shit out of our siblings. Favorite moment would have to be graduating. Worst would be leaving LA," He looked at his girlfriend, "no offense babe."

"Alright. Izzy, share your wisdom."

"Hmm. Well favorite moment is easy; when mom came home," She smiled at her brother, who raised his beer in agreeance. "Worst moment.....probably getting my wisdom teeth out because it sucked."

"Seb, add on buddy,"

"Well I'll agree on the favorite moment being when mom came home. Worst moment would probably be getting hit while riding my bike. That bastard was speeding!"

Oz forced of laugh. "That's the worst. Alright Anna Banana, top us off."

Anna took a moment, picking her moments carefully. "Worst moment would be everything falling apart. Having to run across the country, dad leaving, uncle Mike getting attacked. Best moment....right now." She smiled. "I feel pretty damn good right now, even if dad isn't here."

"Oh God love ya, child," Oz smiled, finishing his drink and eating the olive from it.

"What about you, Oz?" Izzy asked. "We've spilled our guts, now it's your turn.

"Alright alright," He put the empty martini glass down and rubbed his chin. "Well, worst moment would probably be going over to you guys's apartment and finding that you'd skipped town on me,"

"Sorry about that," Brad sighed, rubbing the back of his head and looking down.

"The best moment would have to be tracking you guys down again and being right," He smiled, "and getting to take care of you guys again,"

"Aww we love you Oz," Anna smile, everyone raising their beers in a toast.

"Hell, I raised you guys like my own for the past 15 years, you think a few states would stop that?" He glanced up at the clock on the wall. "Alright, let's get this shit crankin."

The group went and stood in front of the TV, the two couples holding each other at the waist. The ball started to drop and everyone took a breath.

10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1..

The front door flew open. "Happy New Year!"

Everyone turned and gasped.

"Daddy!" Anna screeched, running from her boyfriend's side and into her father's open arms.

"Oh my god!" Brad yelled, running just as fast and latching on to his father.

The trio stood in the open doorway, not caring that the cold air was blowing in or that fireworks were shooting off all through out the neighborhood. They didn't care if they were all crying and shaking and clinging to each other. They were finally reunited after a week of separation, the longest they had been separated in years.

"I missed you two so much," Thomas sobbed, pulling his children as close as he could, "you have no idea."

"We've missed you more," Anna sniffled.

After a few more minutes the three finally pulled apart, Thomas examining his children for injuries or malnourishment. "Oh for fuck sake Oz, you let the minors drink?"

"Only tonight," Oz scoffed. "I'm not that irresponsible!" The friends smiled and hugged each other. "We missed ya man. Glad you're back."

Thomas sighed and smiled. "Alright guys, family meeting."

"Since when?" Brad asked, taking a step back, worried that something else was wrong.

"Since right now. Help me unload the car and then we gotta have a chat."

After unloading the car and walking their significant others next door, Brad, Anna and Oz sat on the couch as Thomas bit his nails and paced the floor, looking at the door every other second. Finally he paused and smiled before walking to the door and going outside.

"Ok the fuck is this about," Brad said, looking at the two beside him.

"I'm as lost as you are, kid," Oz mumbled, watching the door. "Should I get the gun?"

"He wouldn't bring danger home, would he?" Anna asked, peaking over the back of the sofa.

"He's done it before," Brad scoffed. "Do you think Uncle Mike's ok?"

"I didn't get a call saying otherwise," Oz said, watching as Thomas came back through the door. He wasn't alone this time.

"Ok, do you guys remember Cindy?" Thomas asked, closing the door.

Cindy pulled her hood off to reveal two blond pig tails and a doll face. "Hi guys," She smiled warmly but nervously.

"Vaguely," Brad said in a cold tone.

"Last I remember she stormed out after we all almost got killed," Anna growled.

"That's the past," The two adults entered the living room and stood in front of the trio on the couch. "You wanna tell them?" Thomas asked nervously.

"No, you do it," Cindy said back nervously.

Thomas sighed and cleared his throat. "Alright....fuck,"

"I'm gettin the gun," Oz said, starting to get up.

"Quit it," Thomas said, putting a hand up and gently pushing Oz back down. "She's pregnant."

There was a tightening silence that filled the entire house. Even the dog who had been asleep woke up when this phrase was uttered. He seemed just as shocked as everyone else.

"It happened before we left. Look, I did the right think with your mother, why wouldn't I do the right thing this time?"

"Mom was batshit insane. And you'd known each other at least," Brad growled.

"Actually, I only knew your mom a few months before you popped up," Thomas corrected.

Any color that was left in Brad's face was instantly drained.

"Look, we talked about it and this feels right. We're going to get married before the babies born and you guys will have a little brother or sister. Everything's going to work out fine," Thomas tried to reassure his children. It didn't seem to work.

"And if Tony comes back?" Anna drilled, eyeing Cindy. She could be a spy.

"Babydoll I took care of that. He's not coming back. Will you guys just trust me? I know what I'm doing. Sure things with your mom didn't work out, but for awhile they did. I'm not saying this is the answer or end to all our problems, but we're just gonna have to take it a day at a time, ok?"

"Well, this isn't how I saw 2012 starting off," Oz sighed. "We don't have much choice but to trust you. Woulda been nice to have gotten a heads up though."

"Anna, I think it's time we go to bed," Brad said, wanting to get away from this woman he didn't know.

"I'm sorry guys," Cindy sighed, "I know this is kind of a bomb shell. I thought you called and told them what was going on," She gave Thomas a look and he looked away, blushing.

"My bad,"

"Anna, let's go," Brad said, grabbing his sister's arm and pulling her out of the room. "I don't like this at all," He said as soon as they reached the top of the stairs. "This is too sketchy. Something's up. I don't know if it's her or Dad's just stupid, but something doesn't feel right."

"She's after something," Anna whispered, leaning over the railing and looking down at her father, Cindy, and Oz as they sat in the living room talking. She didn't trust this woman as far as she could throw her.

Little did they know how right their instincts were. Their father was blind to who Cindy really was and what her plans really were.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the final chapter in part 1 of Walking Contradictions. Don't worry, the gang will be back before you know it and all your questions will be answered! <3