Never Means Forever

One

I watched yet another little girl through her bedroom window and wondered again why it was necessary to present death to such a small innocent child. Why could this young girl possibly have done to have her life shortened so drastically? And if it was a disease or sickness, why couldn't they save her? 

I also wondered why little children were always so understandable when it came to me. Why did they never ask questions like adults or even teenagers. They always seem so peaceful and happy to go. The term 'children are a blessing' is nothing short of the truth.

I felt the final pull. The one that meant I must present death promptly. I took a deep breath and stepped through the wall, materializing next to the girls bed. I gaze at her flawless porcelain face and feel utter sadness consume me. 

Her eyelids flutter open and her big brown eyes look at me thoughtfully. "Angel, why are you crying?" 

I wipe away the stray tear which managed to escape and smile sadly. "I do not wish to take you from your family." 

"But you have to." She says calmly. "I understand." 

"You are right, Maribella. Are you ready to go?" 

"Can I go say bye to my daddy first?" She asks.

"You may, but you must hurry. We have only two minutes." I insist. 

The small child, about six or seven, scurries from the room. I close my eyes tightly and coax myself to stop being upset. This is my job. This is what I have to do. 

Maribella returns what seems like seconds later and is nothing but a shimmering ghost. I slide the small dark box into her hand and she wraps her small digits around it. She smiles up at me widely.

"This will help you." I explain. "Your journey will be tough, young one. Have faith and carry on." 

"Thank you." She whispers. With one last shimmer, she disappears.

I feel the pendant around my neck heat up to a dangerous degree before cooling off instantly. I take a deep breath and let my wings unfold before stepping through the wall once again. 

I feel myself falling and then I stretch my wings out and fly into the night. My job here is done.

|~|*|~|


I touch ground outside of the small coffee shop that's owned by my guardian. As I enter, the older angel looks up and smiles, setting a sheet of cookies down on the counter. "Lucian, How was your day?"

"May I ask you something, Guardian Santos?" I ask instead of answering her question. 

"Of course." 

"Does it ever get easier? Presenting death to a young child?" 

The guardian sighs and takes a seat in one of the overstuffed armchairs that stand in front of the fireplace. "Lucian, you must not get attached to small children or it will destroy you. You must not get attached to anyone. Emotional detachment is part of the job."

"I did not ask for this job." I snap, standing in front of her and allowing the fire to warm my wings.

"You were created for this job and you will continue to do this job until you find your soul mate. Then you-" 

"Then I will turn into a guardian like you. But it's been two centuries. I'm beginning to believe that that will be impossible." I argue. 

"It will. And when it does you will be graced with a young reaper like yourself to guide into guardianship. Until then, you will reap or you will die." She gives me and empathetic smile. 

"I feel I would rather die." 

"You will not save them." The guardian says somberly. "He will just send another reaper." 

"Well then let that reaper bear the death of little children!" 

"Lucian! You are still young and foolish." She scolds. "You must think of your words or He will hear them. Now come and have a treat." 

"Unless it is relief from this burden, I desire no treat. Thank you." I stand and stretch my legs. "I think I will take a walk."

"On your walk, think of this." My guardian smiles slyly. "You are responsible for the souls of those you reap. Without you, they would be trapped here for eternity. Instead, you release them to heaven. You are the good guy." 

"Thank you, guardian Santos." I nod to my guardian and walk out of the door. Before I even get to the corner of the street feel the familiar pull behind my navel. The pull that means I've been assigned to take another life. 

I close my eyes and feel the air change around me. When I open my eyes once again, I'm on top of a roof in an unfamiliar yet nice part of town. 

A name pops into my head. Alexander. 
♠ ♠ ♠
New story? I think yes.
Updates should be really often.
We hope you like this :D