Never Means Forever

Thirteen

Alexander beams up at me as I lead him through town, hands laced together. His fingers fit perfectly between my own. I can't help but to smile at the warmth coming from his palm and spreading through my entire body, from the tips of my fingers to the tips of my wings. 

I didn't know what exactly what were going to do yet but as long as we're together, I don't think it really matters. I stop abruptly in the middle of the sidewalk and pull Alexander against me, unable to resist him any longer. 

I lean down and capture his lips in a slow passionate kiss. He quickly winds his arms around my neck and pulls me deeper into the kiss. I can feel myself fall deeper and deeper into him as a being. Every time our lips meet I feel my status as a reaper slip further and further into a guardian status. It's not a bad feeling but it certainly is different.

Alexander giggles and pulls away, gasping for air. "What was that for?"

"What? I can't just kiss you?" I ask, smiling and pecking his lips once again.

"Of course you can." He smiles. "I was just wondering if there was a reason." 

"Well, your lips are just too irresistible so I decided not to resist." I shrug, threading my fingers through his once again and continuing down the street. He sighs in content and presses himself against my side. 

I smile to myself, unable to believe that I was lucky enough to have him as a soul mate. I've heard plenty of stories about reapers being assigned to guard humans who were completely unworthy. Reapers don't truly meet guardian status until they've fallen in love with their soul mate. Many angels don't know this so they fight it and it never works in their favor. It takes years of them being in this painfully confusing limbo between reaper and guardian before they finally cave in.

Lucky for me, I can feel myself falling in love with Alexander already. I don't know what it is about him but I have a feeling that it would be hard to resist these feelings even if I tried. Every kiss just sucks me farther into the confusing maze many refer to as eternal bondage. 

"Hey, Lucian?" Alexander's smooth voice captures my attention easily.

"Yes?"

"I think I'd like you to meet my friend Brad, if that's okay. I feel bad for not spending time with him lately but I'm not ready to let you go just yet." He explains.

"I would love to accompany you, love." I say, swinging our joined hands just slightly. "And I'd also like to take you out to dinner, if that's okay with you." 

A small smile breaks across his beautiful lips and he looks up at me with adoring eyes. "Like, our first date?" 

"Yes, exactly." 

"I'd like that very much." Alexander grins and pauses to lean up and kiss me. 

"I will take you anywhere you want to go. Just tell me where." I propose, loving the way his pretty blue eyes light up. 

"Really?" 

"Of course." I agree. Making him happy makes me happy and honestly, it's my newly acquired mission in life to keep this smile on his face for good.