Never Means Forever

Nineteen

I could tell that Alexander's dad wasn't happy about my relationship with his son but, honestly, it was going to happen whether he liked it or not. I felt a little guilty about thinking like that but seeing Alexander so happy made it all worth it. He was happy because of me. His dad doesn't really have a right to take that away from him, not that he was trying to.

But still, I knew it would take him a while to get used to it so I decided that it would probably be best not to be around his dad too much. A few days pass and he still doesn't seem to be completely comfortable so I ask Alexander out for Ice Cream to get out of the house.

He beams at me and agrees eagerly before leaning up to press his lips to mine and calling to his dad that we were leaving to get dessert. 

When we get there, Alexander orders from the brunette girl first, cotton candy with gummy bears, which means he gets his first. I ask him to go find us a table and I'll pay. I see a hint of hesitation in his eyes but he knows he won't win the payment argument so he nods and goes off in search of a table.

The girl turns to me next with a big smile. "And what can I get for you?"

I smile politely. "I'd like mint with the Oreo bits in it, please."

"Anything for you sweetheart." She winks.

I simply smile again and wait for her to hand over the cone. She bats her eyelashes as she reads me the total and smiles weirdly as she wishes me a good night. I just nod and turn to search for the boy with the pink hair who's captured my affection so completely. I find him towards the front by a window and I take the seat across from him. 

Alexander licks his blue frozen treat but stays uncharacteristically quiet. I frown. "Alexander, is something wrong?" He shakes his head. "Dear, look at me." He focuses his brilliant blue eyes on me and blinks. "What's wrong?"

Alexander sighs and bites his lip. "I saw that girl flirting with you." 

"So?"

"So she was really pretty." 

"Really? I didn't notice." I shrug.

He stares at me in disbelief. "How could you not notice?"

I sigh and reach across the table. To twist his fingers between my own. "Alexander, to be honest, whenever you're anywhere near me I can only seem to focus on you. And even if I had noticed that she was pretty I wouldn't care."

"You wouldn't?" He asks innocently.

"Of course not. Why would I? You are way too beautiful and amazing for me to even think about anyone else." I say honestly. 

Alexander's eyes have glazed over with years and he gazes at me disbelievingly. "You really mean that?" 

"Alexander, I . . . I love you." I admit, looking him dead in the eye. "I don't care if it's too early on in our relationship. It's how I feel and I want you to know it."

He sits stunned for a moment, licking the melting ice cream from his cone before it drips onto his fingers. Suddenly, he stands from his seat and comes around the table to stand directly in front of me before plopping himself in my lap. 

My free arm automatically wraps around his waist and he leans into me happily. "I love you too, Lucian."

I shower his face with kisses before finally reaching his lips and exploring the mouth I've come to love, tasting the sweet ice cream on his tongue. Alexander pulls away with a soft pop and we finish our dessert quickly and heading back to my house for the night.  

As soon as Alexander crawls onto my bed I strip off my shirt and stretch out my wings, flapping them gently before a sharp pain shoots through my spine. I double over and fall to the carpet harshly, writhing and trying not to scream. 

Alexander is by my side in a split second and as soon as his gentile fingers caress the feathers of my wings, the pain stops and I'm left panting on the floor. 

"Lucian, are you alright?" His voice is small and scared.

"Yes." I grunt out, pulling myself onto the bed and laying out. He leans over me and cups my cheek gently. 

"Are you sure? Can I get you anything?" He asks, worrying his lip between his teeth. 

"Yeah, I think . . . I think that was it. I think I'm your full guardian now." I murmur. 

His eyes widen and an excited grin spreads across his face. "Really? How can you tell?"

"Well, I can't truly know until morning when I can speak to Guardian Santos but I can't think of anything else that it could be." I say, pulling him to lay down with me. "For now, just sleep."

Alexander closes his eyes and mumbles a faint, "I love you." Before falling into his dream world. 

I simply watch him sleep and think of the boy in my arms, the boy I love. The boy who changed my life. My soul mate.
♠ ♠ ♠
One more to go :(
Let us know what you think?