Never Means Forever

Three

Alexander looks right at me, not through me like most mortals do. I can already sense that he's not like the others but I can't put my finger on what it is, exactly.

Technically, I should have been able to approach him in the alley when those two boys left him but I couldn't. It's like there was some sort of forcefield around him. I physically couldn't touch him. Yet the pull behind my navel only grew stronger. 

I've had this happen only once before and I simply had to be patient. I was simply called too early and I just had to wait until it was truly time.

But it was not normal for him to be able to see me. 

I waited on his roof, the pull pulsing in my stomach steadily. It could be hours before he was ready. A full day even. The waiting doesn't bother me. No, that I can handle.

What bothers me is having to think about the boy whose life I'm waiting to take. He really is a beautiful creature and the world will surely feel his loss. His father will be so grief stricken, as will his friends. 

But in a way, it may be a good thing that I'm to reap Alexander Price. He was clearly in a lot of pain and I'm sure that even he doesn't know the extent of the damage. I have a feeling that he's too proud to go to the hospital. Isn't it better not to suffer?

Suddenly the pull flares to an unbearable level and, before I'm even aware of what's happening, I'm being yanked through his roof transparently. I land in the middle of his hallway with a loud thud. My wings are bent painfully below me and I flip over to my stomach quickly. Well, this is new. 

A door creaks open to my left and I hardly have a chance to stand before Alexander pokes his head into the hallway. He stares at me and steps into the corridor, closing his bedroom door behind him. I can't help but to stretch my wings out behind me, working out the pain slowly.

He takes in the feathers and his eyes widen. "Who are you?"

I scrunch my eyebrows together. "My name is Lucian. I'm a reaper angel." 

"An angel?" He asks, puzzled. "But why are you here?"

Now I'm really confused. He should know already. He should not only know what I am but he should know my name and the manner in which I work. 

"You truly do not know why I am here?" I ask. 

He shakes his head and rubs his eyes, yawning cutely. "No. Why were you following me earlier?" 

"That is not something you should worry about." I answer absently, trying to figure out just what exactly is going on. The pull has stopped completely. "Alexander, are you still in pain?"

"Huh? Wait. How'd you know my name?" He asks, tucking a lock of hair behind his ear. 

"I am an angel. I know anything I want to. Now please, are you still in pain?" I press.

He pauses for a second. "No, not really. I mean, I probably have a few bruises here and there but nothing serious." 

"I see. Well, then I have made a mistake." I apologize. "Sweet dreams dear Alexander." I turn to walk down the hallway to the window. I open it and perch on the ledge, ready to take off.

"Wait! You dropped this." Alexander calls. I turn just in time to see him bend down to pick up my pendant. It must have fallen off when I was pulled through the roof. 

"Don't touch-" 

He plucks it off the floor and examines it closely. 

"-that." I finish, lamely. This isn't right. Mortals aren't able to touch the pendant of an angel. It's supposed to cause unbearable pain, instant death. Yet Alexander is simply gazing upon it with amazement and wonder. 

I approach him cautiously and take the necklace from his fingers, slipping it back around my neck. "Thank you."

He nods and watches as I once again perch on the window and, this time, kick off. The air feels good on my injured wings as I fly through the town and try to figure out what exactly just happened.

Before long I'm touching down in front of the coffee house once again and I let myself in, heading straight to the back. I walk through the kitchen and into the hidden door in the back through witch the home of my guardian and her soul mate resides.

I walk through the living room and into the private kitchen of the home where Guardian Santos sits, coffee in hand. 

"Lucian, why are you so late coming home?" She asks. "I assumed you were already in your room." 

I recount the strange events to her and she listens thoughtfully. "Well," She starts once the full story has been told. "It sounds as if you have found someone who will become very special to you. Now, I can't tell you everything but I can tell you this. You are not to reap young Alexander. You are meant to protect him from harm."

I stare at her, puzzled. "You are joking." 

"No, Luc, I'm not. Alex's well being will now be your responsibility." She nods. "Now it is late and you must be tired. Perhaps we can talk more in the morning but please, do not be alarmed if you wake up and you are by his side. It's actually very common." 

With that she stands and goes up the stairs to her own room. Her words wrap around me and I ponder them almost dangerously before heading to my own dwelling. Alexander definitely is going to be a special person but I'm not sure just yet if that's a good thing.