Never Means Forever

Five

My pull to Alexander only got stronger the further away I was from him, to the point where it was actually painful. Twice already I have appeared by his side without conscious effort and that's not good. What if a mortal saw me? I'd have some explaining to do to my elders and, again, that's not anything I want to go through.

Right now my best option is just to stay close to him. I'm supposed to be keeping him from harms way anyway, right? What better way than following him. 

I hope he doesn't think I'm a stalker or something. I mean, he knows who, and what, I am. Hopefully he won't be too wary.

I follow behind him for a couple of blocks, hands shoved deep in the pockets of my white coat and wings folded tightly to my back. The left one still slightly throbs with pain from the fall last night but it's not anything I can't manage.

Approximately a block from the school, Alexander breaks into a run. I soon find the reason as two boys round the corner and into view mere milliseconds later. Alexander is not a slow boy but, unfortunately, the two other boys are faster. 

The taller of the two catches up to him and yanks him back by his backpack and shoves him against the nearest wall. Before I'm aware of what I'm doing, I'm by their side.

The boy has Alexander firmly in his grasp and is dangerously close to his face. His companion jumps when he notices me but stays silent. I grab the assaulters wrist and twist it behind his back. He's so startled that he releases his grip on Alexander who stares at me in wonder.

"Alexander, are you okay?" I ask, forcing the boy in my grasp against the wall beside him. Alexander nods shakily and continues to stare at me. "Head on to school. I will see you later. We have some things to discus."

He nods again and walks off, looking back to us once or twice before finally turning the corner to his school. My attention returns to the boys in my presence as the unrestrained bully tries to get me to release his friend. 

"Trevor, Cale, I would leave young Alexander alone if I were you two." I warn, voice deep.

"Yeah? Well who are you to tell us what we can't do?" Trevor asks from his position pressed against the wall. 

I smirk just the slightest of smirks and focus my energy on the place where my flesh is touching his, giving him a small burn. In other words, just a hint of what in capable of. I speak as my grip continues to cook his skin. "I am Alexander's protector and I do hope you chose to follow my advice. If not, I suspect we shall be seeing more of each other. I am sure you do not want that." 

Trevor squirms in agony before I finally release him. He looks frantically at his unmarked wrist and then at me. He gives me a terrified look and runs in the opposite direction of the school. His friend, Cale, looks at me as well and follows the taller male.

I smile to myself and burry my hands back into my pockets, continuing my journey to Alexander's school. The pull I feel leads me into the right direction and before long, I've managed to find his classroom. Security at this school leaves much to be desired.

Classes have already started for the day so, instead of interrupting the teachers instruction and asking Alexander to talk, I wait outside the door of his math class. I hardly think anyone would try to hurt him while class is going on so I'm not too worried about leaving him alone. Besides, I'm right outside if he needs me.

The hour passes quickly enough and the bell rings crisply. Alexander is the first in the hallway. He takes a sharp turn to the left, not seeing me until I catch up to him and pull gently on his elbow.

He starts and looks up at me with wide eyes. "Lucian? What're you doing here?"

"I did say I have to talk to you, did I not?" I ask, confused as to what the source of his confusion.

"Well, yeah but I assumed that you meant later after school or something."  He explains.

"I can wait until then if that's what you desire." I offer.

He looks around the crowded hallway and that's when I notice all of the students looking our way. 

Alexander grabs my attention by clearing his throat. "No, we can talk now. I have second block free." 

I smile at him and place my hand on his lower back, startling him only slightly. I lead him deeper into the school and into a door. I'm not sure what this room is but it'll do for now. 

"This i-is the teachers lounge. We shouldn't b-be in here." He stammers.

"Do not worry, Alexander. This room is safe." I assure him. 

He gives me a shaky smile and jumps when the bell rings. I briefly wonder what he's so worried about but he speaks before I have the chance to ask. "So, what did you want to talk about?"