Status: Hiatus/Slow updates

Aftershock

Five

I really didn’t expect anything to come from my tweet to Mike. Between his concussion and the amount of tweets he most likely got daily, I didn’t even really expect him to see it, let alone bother to send a reply. So colour me surprised when upon finishing washing the dishes that night I discovered a new text message on my phone that just so happened to be from twitter.

Since I was only in the States for three months, and my admittedly crappy phone didn’t get coverage outside of NZ, I’d bought an el cheapo pre-pay upon my arrival. Hence the text tweets. But hey, it was better than nothing! And cheaper than international texting to keep in touch with everyone back home.

Anyways, back to the point. I had a reply. From Mike. And not just any reply, a direct message reply.

Direct from @GreenLife52: Thanks! Why didn’t you say anything? DM back

Ahh, the inevitable question. If I knew who he was, why did I not bring attention to that fact? Hauling out my laptop I went to the twitter site to reply because it was easier, and cheaper.

Direct to @GreenLife52: Not a Caps fan, and you looked like you didn’t want to be known. Nbd..

Because it really wasn’t a big deal. He is who he is, regardless of knowing his name or occupation. I’ve been lucky enough to know several guys who have played for New Zealand’s national rugby team, but they were always just ‘the guys from my rugby club’ whenever I saw them, not world famous rugby players. Well, as famous as rugby players can get.

Direct from @GreenLife52: Perceptive. Got bored of staring at the walls tho, needed to get out.

Direct to @GreenLife52: I feel your pain. Walls suck when they don’t talk back. I also considered stealing your awesome ear flap hat =p

So it’s not entirely my fault that I have somewhat of an obsession with beanies that have ear flaps, especially when they also have dangly pompoms with which to tie said ear flaps securely. My sister had bought herself one (sans dangly pompoms) on her first trip to the USA and gloated incessantly about it, only to be outdone the next winter when one of our favourite rugby boys had an even more awesome one, with the dangles. It was blue with white snowflakes and green flecks, and so pretty!

Yes, we really are that weird.

Direct from @GreenLife52: Doing anything tomorrow?

Not exactly an anticipated response. The fact that my breathing stopped for a few seconds, stunned, said as much. Where was he going with this? Did I even want to know? At this stage I was thankful Drea was otherwise occupied, no way in hell she would’ve let me live this down if it went how she assumed it would.

Direct to @GreenLife52: Hmm, let me check my sched.. sorry, looks like I’m booked solid all week, something called “blank”

Direct from @GreenLife52: Haha. So u wouldn’t wanna put aside ur hatred for the spectacular Green tour of DC? 1st customer of day gets free ear flap hat

I had to stifle my laughter at that. Was this guy for real or what? Maybe that concussion was a lot worse than it seemed. If he was willing to resort to bribery… But really, it was tempting.

“Drea!” I yelled out, knowing it was somewhat safe to interrupt since there were no loud moans or headboard thumping against the wall.

Thankfully she came out quickly, still fully dressed and not looking like she’d been in the middle of something. “Yea Em?”

“Help?” I swung the screen around to her and just watched her face as she read through Mike’s messages.

“Oh my god,” she almost squealed. “What the hell are you asking me for? You’re going, obviously!”

Of course that was exactly the response I had expected, but that didn’t make things any easier. “Are you really encouraging me to go into an unknown city with some unknown guy? And how the hell am I even supposed to get there?”

Drea was scheduled to work the 6am to 4pm shift tomorrow, so I had no transport. I had no idea if there was any public transport around, I certainly hadn’t seen any busses on our journeys so far.

“Damn. I forgot about that. Well, see what he says anyway?”

Direct to @GreenLife52: very tempting, but I have no way to get to DC =[

Direct from @GreenLife52: what’s your number? We can work something out


“Uh, wow?”

“Damn girl, you musta made an impression!” Of course Drea would go straight there. But really, I couldn’t blame her. The longer this conversation went, the weirder it seemed. Surely he was only after someone to spend time with, I couldn’t be any more of a ‘plain Jane’ unless I actually went by my middle name. Yea, I was Emily Jane Hansen.

Before I could even think about it Drea had stolen my computer and sent Mike my number. Not even thirty seconds later my phone was buzzing on the coffee table, the blaring ringtone causing me to jump a little.

“Hi,” I barely managed to squeak out a greeting. I was never much of a phone person, or even really just a talker, so being put on the spot like this made things even worse.

Mike’s quiet laugh put me a little at ease though. “Hey. So, where do you live?” he jumped straight to the point.

“Um? Glen Burnie,” I shot a questioning glance at Drea, not that she had any idea what I had been asked. “What’s this address? Actually, you know what, Mike I’m gunna let you talk to Drea cos I have no clue.”

To be fair, Scott and Drea had only been in this place for almost a yr. Last time I’d been to visit Drea had been living in a house in Odenton, so it was a bit of a change. I only knew we were in Glen Burnie because Beth lived just around the corner, and because I’d had to write the address down to get through immigration.

It sounded like directions were being exchanged from my end, but I wasn’t really paying attention. Dan had come out to get a drink, and presumably see what was taking his girlfriend so long, so I explained the goings on to him while Drea chatted happily.

Next thing I knew, my phone was back in my hand, the call ended and my best friend with a suspiciously large grin and deviously sparkling eyes was practically bouncing. “He’s picking you up at nine. Dress warm.” And with that she turned, dragging Dan behind her. Cue volume increase on the television. No way something wasn’t going on in that bedroom when she was in such a good mood.

“Enjoy your date,” she teased before shutting the door, earning herself a glare for the half second before she disappeared completely from sight.

I couldn’t help but laugh at the crazy day we’d just had while yelling out a sharp, “Bitch!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for still reading =] I'd love to hear some more comments though.

Also - I'm looking for a hockey writer who's really good with drama for an idea i have, but know i could do no justice. So if that's you, or you know someone like that please let me know. I'd really love for this idea to see the light of day. It's something i've never seen regarding the NHL.