Status: Short Story

Dead

The Letter

Wouldn't it be grand to take a pistol by the hand

And wouldn't it be great if we were dead?

*Sophia's p.o.v*

I was once again in tears and it was all of Gilbert's fault. He just had to be a jerk and read everything that I once thought of him and still do think about him outloud for me to hear. It was a slap in the face.

"Gilbert!" I shouted, my voice becoming horse and drowned by tears.

After that shout, I no longer heard his mocking voice purposely taunting me. I no longer saw him running around. He just stood there in front of me, entranced with a certain page in my small black notebook. His face had a look of hurt, pain, and betrayal .A part of me, the part that wanted revenge, felt better seeing him with the pain he put me through. The other part of me, the part that was still in love with him, was worried about him and wondered what could cause him so much pain.

"How-,"he shuttered,"How can could write this?" he asked shouting in frustration. "What did I do to you? I thought you actually lo- cared about me."

That just about did it. No matter how much I knew I hurt Gilbert, I wasn't going to be the one to apologize here. "I thought you loved me too, but you left me!" I shouted with tears streaming down my face again. "How can I not write that!"

I knew I was going to break down and I couldn't let him see me like that, so i ran. I ran back to Austria's house. I ran away from the pain he was causing me. I ran leaving him there because that was the only way that I could have him feel what I felt.

*Gilbert's p.o.v*

And in my honest observation

During the operation

Found a complication

In your heart so long

As Sophia left me hear standing, I wondered if everything I did for her was the right thing to do. As awesome as I am, I knew I wouldn't be a country forever and I was okay with that, more time for being myself and pulling a few pranks, but I knew it wouldn't be good for Sophia. She was such a strong city and could have easily become a strong nation and having me as her awesome failure boyfriend would bring her down. Her life the way it was was so important to her, so I had to leave her. But then she fell before me. What was I suppose to think? From what I could tell, she knew I was going to fall; so she must have thought it was my fault and I knew if I was near her she would have hated it. Right?

"Maybe I should just let her be," I said out loud in a defeated tone.

. I said, "Is that the most you both can give?"

*Sophia's p.o.v*

"Sophia, is that you?" Austria asked as the front door opened.

"Yes. Sorry I stepped out for a bit," I mumbled," to umm"
"Think?" "That's fine. I just wanted to give you this letter, it came in the mail a while ago but I've been so busy I haven’t had the time to give it to you. I apologize."

"Okay," i said in monotone, grabbing the letter, and heading up to my room.

After the door closed I went to opening the letter, preparing myself to read some ignorant country mock me of how my people have fled to their country and are thriving.

But instead of a taunting letter, I was greeted with loving words.

My love Sophia,I know that any day now, I will fall as a country. I know that it's hard to believe considering how awesome I am, but it's true. And the thing is, I don't want to bring you down. Your so strong and thriving so having a failure boyfriend will bring you down and I care and love you to much too let that happen. Yes. I said it, I love you. That's why I had to leave you. I'm sorry- Gilbert

Oh my God. I couldn't believe it.

I had to find him.

1,2

1,2,3,4

So I ran outside looking for him

*Gilbert's p.o.v*

La la la la la
La la la la la la
La la la la la la la
Well c'mon

I aimlessly walked around just to find myself a few yards away from the front of Sophia's house. "Crap,"I thought, knowing I had to leave in case she sees me.

As I turned around someone from behind me called my name. "Gilbert!". It was Sophia.

She ran towards me ready to attack. I knew there was no avoiding it, so I stood there waiting for her to do whatever she needed to.

La la la la la
La la la la l'oh la
La la la la la la la

She jumped on me and as my head hit the floor I closed my eyes and was preparing myself for her face to hit my face.

Oh mother fucker

Instead, I felt her lips press against mine. I opened my eyes and saw that she was smiling.

If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

"Gilbert, you're so stupid," she said in her childlike voice that I loved so much because it usually meant she was planning to do something fun and stupid.

"What? How? Why?"

"You didn't have to leave me. You're more important than power and wealth to me."

"But," I mumbled, "I thought-" I was interrupted by her lips. They always seemed to save me from my stupid moments.

If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?
If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?

She giggled. "You're awesome and I love you." She grabbed my hand and picked me up from the ground.

"Let's go prank Austria."
"Now! Your talking," I said with an evil smirk.
Dead!

And as we walked back into the house planning out an epic prank, I realized that maybe no longer being a country wasn't so bad. If it meant being with Sophia, I don't mind being "dead".
♠ ♠ ♠
this is the end. sorry it took forever writing it but I hope it was worth the wait. And if it's a little too OOC, I apologize I just thought of Prussia being a bit of a softie and, in my opinion, it fit better.
Thank you for reading!! -Stace