Status: Completed!

Rebel Love Song

Questions

I walked up the driveway, trying not to look as awful as I felt. I was tired as hell. Jules had been mumbling and flailing in her sleep and kept waking me up. And then Lily had a nightmare and came to sleep between us. Needless to say I was no barrel of sunshine today. I knocked on the door and tried not to fall through it when it opened.

“Hi there.” A guy with long black hair and some kind of beauty mark on his cheekbone grinned at me. “I’m Ashley. Remember it, you’ll be screaming it later.”

“There’s about an ice cube’s chance in hell of that happening.” I muttered. “I’m looking for Jake.”

“Ash, try not to get down everyone’s pants today.” This guy also had black hair, but the height was impressive. He had a long nose and hazel eyes ringed with eyeliner. All in all, a definite cutie in my book. “Skylar, right?”

“That’s me. Nice to see you again.” I twisted my fingers together, a nervous habit of mine.

“Come on in.” Jake pushed Ashley out of the way to let me in before directing me to sit down on the couch. “You sounded pretty worried on the phone. What’s up?”

“Jules is dying.” I said after a long moment. “The doctors say she has a few months left if we’re lucky.”

“Cancer?” Jake asked. I nodded. “I could have come to you then. I don’t think you would’ve wanted to leave her.”

“I left her with the hospice nurse, so she’s taken care of. My concern is Lily.” I leaned my elbows on my knees, trying to see how he’d take this news. “Once Jules passes, we’re Lily’s legal guardians.”

“Because we’re her godparents.” He nodded slowly.

“I was getting ready to take care of Lily by myself, but Jules wants Lily to have two parents.” Here comes the hard part. “She wants us to live together with Lily to give her a stable home environment. How the fuck we’re going to pull that off, I don’t know.”

“Do you want some coffee or something?” He asked.

“That would be great.” I rubbed my eyes with one hand tiredly.

“Ash, could you go grab some from the kitchen?” Jake asked. Ashley nodded and disappeared into the kitchen.

“I never thought I’d be planning custody of my twin’s daughter.” I sniffled a little, wiping my eyes. Good thing I wasn’t wearing eyeliner today. I wasn’t expecting Jake to put his arms around me and give me a tight hug.

“It’ll be okay Sky.” He said, rocking me back and forth a little.

“I told her I didn’t know if you’d go for it, and I don’t want you to feel like you have to.” I sat up, unwilling to let myself go to pieces.

“I’ll admit, it’s a bit of a weird concept, but I’m okay with the idea. Zack was one of my best friends and Jules is like a little sister to me.”

“It wouldn’t even be like we were dating. It would be like…roommates who happen to have a child living with them.” I put my head in my hands. “This is such a bad idea.”

“No, I think it’s a good idea. Lily deserves two parents and I’m willing to be one of them.”

“You’re actually okay with a perfect stranger thrusting a kid on you?” I gaped at him.

“This little girl is my best friend’s kid and she’s about to become an orphan. I have the space and the money to take care of her. I also signed up for this when I agreed to be her godfather.” He shrugged. “I’m fine with it.”

“The money isn’t the problem. I have enough to take care of her, plus what her parents are leaving her. We can pay for our share of things.” Damn my pride. Ashley came back in with the coffee finally and handed me a cup.

“Thanks.” I managed a smile for him. I took a sip of the coffee, savoring the warm richness of it.

“I’ve never seen anyone drink it straight.” Jake remarked, adding cream to his.

“When you work in the modeling business, you learn to take what you can get.” I shrugged.

“Oh, you’re a model?” Ashley perked right up. “You take the snakebites out?”

“No, I leave them in. I’m less Giselle Bundchen and more alternative kinda model.” I explained.

“Ash, Sky’s gonna be living with me.” Jake said.

“Are you a pregnant one night stand?” Ashley missed the whole “my sister is dying of cancer” conversation. So I recapped it for him. “Oh. Sorry.”

“It’s okay.” I finished my coffee cup. “I think Jules wants to talk to you Jake.” He disappeared into one of the rooms leading off the living room and came back a moment later with a jacket and shoes on.

“Lead the way.” He said, indicating to the door. “I’ll be back in a little bit. Call Andy and tell him not to come yet.”

“Will do.” Ashley saluted him as we went out the door.

“So what do you do for a living?” I asked, turning on my car.

“I’m in a band called Black Veil Brides.” Jake buckled himself in. I dug through my CD stack and pulled one out.

“I knew you looked familiar.” I showed him the album name and he laughed. I called Jules to let her know I was bringing Jake back with me.

I paused on the porch, not opening the door yet. “I don’t want you to be surprised when you see her. She…doesn’t look that great.”

“I’ve seen people with cancer before.”

“She used to look exactly like me. Not so much anymore. Just be prepared, okay?” I opened the door and led him down the hall. The hospice nurse must have just left, because it was just Lily and Jules in the bedroom.

“Hey Jake.” Jules said, doing a little finger wave. I could see he was visibly shocked.

“And this is my little princess here.” I scooped Lily up and swung her around, making her giggle. “Lily-pad, this is your godfather Jake. Jake, Lily.”

“Nice to meet you kiddo.” He grinned at Lily and she tucked her face into my hair.

“She’s shy.” Jules patted the bed next to her feet.

“It’s also time for your nap isn’t it?” I pulled her back a little so I could look at her guilty face.

“I’ll take her in.” Jules took her out of my arms and headed to Lily’s bedroom.
“She looks like a skeleton.” Jake murmured.

“I warned you.” I rubbed my face tiredly. “She tries to look strong for Lily but she’s sick.”

“Talking about me behind my back again Sky?” Jules came back in. “It’s good to see you again Jake.” She gave him a hug and patted the empty space on her bed. Jake sat down next to her and I took the other side.

“So I take it that you agreed, since Sky brought you back here?” Jules said.

“Yeah. It’s the least I can do you for you guys.” Jake patted her hand.

“I needed to know that my little girl is gonna be taken care of.” Jules had that “I’m gonna cry” voice and that alone made me well up.

“Did you really think I’d leave her to fend for herself Jules?” I was trying to crack a joke but it didn’t work.

“I want her to have two parents. And I couldn’t have asked for a better set than you two. I know you’ll take care of her.” Jules took both our hands in hers.

“I promise that Lily will be taken care of.” Jake said.

“That’s what I needed to hear.” Jules smiled sadly. “My sister here thinks that I’m crazy for asking this of you.”

“It is a bit crazy.” I muttered.

“I understand where you’re coming from.” Jake said calmly.

“You’re just a freaking teddy bear, aren’t you?” I shook my head.

“You know it.” He winked at me and I couldn’t help but smile.

“You two go flirt somewhere else. I’m tired.” Jules did look exhausted, so Jake said goodbye and I drove him home.

“I’ll see you soon.” He said, hand on the car door.

“Yeah. I’ll call you sometime this week and we can go over some details.” I said. He nodded and was about to close the door when he paused.

“I’m really sorry Sky. For everything.” He closed the door and headed into his house.
It took a minute for me to stop welling up with tears before I headed home.