Status: Completed!

Rebel Love Song

In-Laws

I may not have mentioned my hatred for airports before, but I’m bringing it up now.

I hate airports. With a passion. I was currently walking through LAX, Lily in my arms and Jake following close behind with our shared suitcase. Since we’d gotten engaged and Jake was off tour for a short time, we were flying to Boise so I could meet his parents. To say I was nervous would be an understatement. Everyone wants to be liked, especially by their in-laws.

It wasn’t until we were in the air and Lily had fallen asleep that I voiced my fears.

“God I hope your parents didn’t Google me.” I said, lifting the armrest between our seats so I could lean on Jake without getting stabbed in the ribs.

“Why?” He asked, putting his arm around me.

“Because I’m an alternative model Jake. A lot of my shots are not in-law safe.”

“They’ll love you just as much as I do. And they’ll love Lily too, and I know that’s been worrying you. It’ll be like getting another grandchild for them.” He kissed the side of my head.

“I love you.” I couldn’t help but smile.

“I love you too.” The rest of the flight we spent talking about wedding plans or when Lily woke up, playing a computer game with her. I must have fallen asleep at some point, because I woke up with a crick in my neck in Idaho, ecstatic to get off the plane but terrified of who I’d be meeting in a few short minutes.

Jake went to get our suitcase while I took Lily to the bathroom. While she was in one of the stalls, I turned my phone on and opened up my Twitter.

About to meet my rebel’s family. Nervous! I tweeted. I’d taken to calling Jake my rebel, after Rebel Love Song. It was one of my favorite songs off the album and one of his favorites to play.

My phone buzzed just as I boosted Lily onto the counter so she could wash her hands. From here, I could see it was a Twitter alert from Jake.

Taking my black veil bride to meet the ‘rents :) It said. I busted up laughing and everyone in the bathroom, including Lily, looked at me like I was nuts.

“What’s so funny?” Lily asked. I read her the tweet and she giggled. “Uncle Jakey’s so silly.”

“Yeah, he’s a big goofball. Now come on munchkin, it’s time to meet his parents.” I scooped her up and carried her out to where Jake was waiting with our stuff.

“So I’m the black veil bride?” I said, still laughing about it.

“If I’m the rebel, you’re the black veil bride.” He kissed my cheek and we walked out of the airport. “My dad’s picking us up.”

That was better than his mom picking us up. Women are judgmental; I should know, being one. I saw someone waving their arm over their head.

“I think I see him.” I said, pointing him out with my free hand.

“Yup, that’s him.” Jake led the way across the traffic jammed pick up area, keeping Lily and me behind him so we wouldn’t get run over. “Hi Dad!” He hugged his dad before turning to us. “This is my fiancée Sky Vincent and her niece Lily. Sky, this is my dad, Mark Pitts.”

“I’ve heard a lot about you.” Jake’s dad said, hugging me. I wasn’t expecting that and Lily got squished between us. She had given him a smile and a shy wave when Jake introduced us, which was progress for her.

“It’s nice to meet you.” I smiled nervously, praying for a poker face. Jake squeezed my hand before opening the door for me. Jake sat in the passenger seat and talked to his dad while Lily and I sat in the back seat and stared out the windows.

If I’d been nervous before, I was terrified as we pulled up to the house. Jake picked Lily up, leaving me with my arms hanging uncomfortably by my sides. Jake’s dad opened the front door of the house, gesturing for me to walk in first. I was literally about to pass out from nerves when a short woman came into the hallway. She had the same smile as Jake and that same relaxed way of standing.

“You must be Skylar.” She said, taking one of my hands in hers. It just so happened to be the one with the word “Hopeless” on it. I prayed that that wasn’t an omen. “I’m Carolyn, Jake’s mom.”

“It’s nice to meet you.” I said, managing a smile.

“And who’s this little one?” Carolyn must have spotted Lily in Jake’s arms. She stood on tiptoes to kiss her son’s cheek before turning her attention to Lily.

“That’s my niece Lily.” I waited while Lily waved shyly before hiding her face in Jake’s hair. “She’s shy and probably tired from the flight.”

“Do you want to put her down for a nap?” Carolyn asked. I nodded, taking Lily from Jake and following her down the hall to a bedroom. “This is where you’ll be staying. I wish Jake would have told me you were bringing a little one.”

“She can sleep with us. She does half the time anyway.” I chuckled, tucking her into bed. I snapped my fingers, remembering one key component to getting her to sleep. I had just turned around to call to Jake when a stuffed tiger landed in my hands. “Thanks babe.” I passed Tigey into Lily’s waiting arms before kissing her on the forehead and leading Carolyn out of the room.

“You must be tired from your flight. Make yourself comfortable.” Carolyn pointed to where Jake and Mark were sitting on the couch already. I settled in next to Jake and he laced our fingers together. Carolyn came back out of the kitchen with a tray loaded with coffee and cups. I accepted one gratefully, happy to have something to do with my hands.

“You’re probably dying to know why we brought my niece with us.” I said after taking a sip of coffee.

“In all honesty, yes.” Mark said.

“It’s actually how we met. Well, met again.” Jake remarked. So we started from the beginning: Jules and Zack, the cancer, Jules’s dying request, and the roller coaster ride that ensued, leading up to when he proposed in Carson.

“So that’s our story.” I said as we finished telling our story.

“I wish you both the best of luck with Lily.” Carolyn said, squeezing my free hand.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better partner.” I kissed Jake’s cheek and he smiled down at me, not even needing to say anything.

We did end up getting Lily to talk to Jake’s parents and they were in love with her in ten seconds flat. I was incredibly glad to get into bed that night, I’ll tell you that.

Lily slept between us, our arms making a protective covering over her.

This was my family now.

--

I woke up the next morning with a throat drier than a desert. I slipped out of the bed as quietly as I could, leaving Jake and Lily snuggled up together.

Trying to make the least amount of noise possible, I opened the cabinets looking for a glass. I almost jumped out of my skin when a hand reached past me and opened a cabinet, revealing a row of glasses.

“Did I wake you up?” I said, turning to Carolyn.

“No, I’ve been awake for a while now. That tattoo on your back, is that for your sister?” Carolyn asked.

“Yeah. When Jake got his tattoo of your name, I got mine for Jules.” I filled the glass up and took a long drink. “Ahh. Much better.” I wanted to go back to bed and snuggle some more with my munchkin and Jake, but I didn’t know how without being rude.

“Go on back to bed.” She must have read something in my face. “I’ll come and wake you up when it’s time for breakfast.”

“Thanks.” I smiled and headed into the bedroom. Lily and Jake had shifted into the middle of the bed so I crawled in behind Jake, putting my arm over his waist and snuggling in close.

“I’m supposed to be the big spoon.” He said groggily.

“You moved over you goof.” I giggled. He rolled over so he was resting his head on my chest, one tattooed arm wrapped around me tightly. “You’re fucking sexy in the morning. I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned that.”

“Too bad there’s a five year old in the bed next to us.”

“And I don’t think your parents would appreciate you getting laid with them down the hall.”

“Good point.”

We spent the rest of the weekend with Jake’s parents, which I enjoyed quite a bit more than when we first got here. I felt better knowing that they didn’t disapprove of me or of Lily.

Not that, as Jake told me later, that would have stopped him from, quote: “Marrying your ass and then having eight fucking kids.”

I do love that boy.