Status: Completed!

Rebel Love Song

It's Ours Tonight

It had been a long process to this point, but today was finally the day. I was finally marrying Jake. I could hardly contain my excitement and neither could Lily, who would be serving as the flower girl. Sammi was my maid of honor, with Ally- who’d helped plan the whole thing-, Dani and Juliet as my bridesmaids.

“Sky?” My grandmother knocked on the door softly before coming in. I stood up and she covered her mouth with one hand. “Oh, honey. You look so beautiful.”

“Thanks Grandma.” I said, hugging her.

“I have a present for you.” She said, patting the small couch that was in this room. I was waiting in a back room in the church we’d gotten for our wedding. “You’re supposed to have something old, as the saying goes.” She opened a small box she’d pulled out of her purse and revealed a pair of Art Deco style earrings.

“They’re beautiful.” I breathed.

“Beautiful earrings for a beautiful girl.” She said, helping me put them on. “Now, do you have something blue, borrowed and new?” I kicked off my shoe so she could see the blue polish on my toenails.

“As for the borrowed and new, I borrowed Dani’s garter and well….Jake is my new.” I smiled.

“Sky? It’s time to go.” Dad poked his head in. “You look gorgeous, pumpkin.”

“Thanks Daddy.” The girls had already filed out and Lily headed out next, before my dad and I started our measured steps down the aisle.

I wished that Jules was there, wished that she could have been my maid of honor like I was hers. Jake looked so handsome in his suit. The whole church looked like a twisted wonderland, with red flowers and black decorations everywhere, matching the red roses in the bouquet I carried and the black lace veil I was wearing. It had started as a joke, but then we actually ended up picking a black veil.

I saw a flicker of movement out of the corner of my eye near Sammi. I had to blink a few times before it processed that there was someone standing there.

Someone with long dark hair and laughing green eyes. I smiled like an idiot instead of tearing up. I should have known my sister would be here. My dad placed my hand in Jake’s and I felt the smallest ghost of a touch on my free hand. That presence was there as Jake and I exchanged our vows, and faded away slowly.

“I know pronounce you, man and wife.” The priest said finally. “You may kiss the bride.” Jake lifted the veil and wiped my tears away gently before kissing me. It didn’t last long enough for my taste and soon we were piling the bridal party plus my dad, mom, and grandmother and Jake’s parents into a limo and heading for the reception hall.

At the reception hall, I changed into a short black dress and settled in for a light dinner. I had no idea what it was, since I’d given Ally free reign on that part. Then Andy got up on a small stage that had been set up with the microphone and a glass of champagne.

“Before we get started on this, I just want to congratulate Jake and Sky. They’re the perfect complement to each other. I wish you both the best of luck.” He downed his champagne. “That being said, they picked one of our songs for their first dance and we decided to perform it for them. This song’s called Carolyn.” Jeremy, CC, and Ashley joined him onstage and they began to play.

I rested my head against Jake’s shoulder, his warm hands resting on my hips. The reason I’d wanted this song for our first dance was not only because Jake wrote it, but because of two specific lines: “You’re not alone/We’ll brave this storm.”

When I was with Jake, I never felt alone.

“I love you.” I whispered, kissing his neck.

“I love you too Sky. More than anything.”

We danced the night away, surrounded by our family and friends, before heading home for our wedding night. Lily was spending a few days with Jeremy and Sammi while Jake and I had a stay home honeymoon.

--

Three weeks after our wedding, Jake and I were back at Wandering Canvas, waiting for our appointment with Frankie.

“So you two know what you want?” Frankie asked, coming over to sit with us.

“Yep.” We told him what we wanted and he nodded.

“Shouldn’t take too long then. Ladies first?” Frankie said.

“Of course.” Jake kissed my hand and I went over to Frankie’s station.

Two hours later, Jake and I were the proud owners of matching tattoos on our wrists. They both said, “Forget me not” with a small heart next to it. Mine had Jake’s name under it and he had my name under his. Bandaged up and holding hands, we walked out into the extremely bright September day.

“How’s my black veil bride doing?” Jake asked.

“Just fine. How’s my rebel?”

“Fantastic.” He kissed the side of my head.

“Ever think about giving Lily a cousin?”

“That would be one attractive cousin for her to play with.”

“Well of course, it’ll look like us.” I flipped my hair over my shoulder.

“Can we start now?”

“If you’d like.” I wasn’t expecting for him to pick me up, throw me over his shoulder and sprint down the block to the car.

So yes, we did get a start on the babymaking that day. We’re still waiting on it, but it’ll happen eventually.

As long as I have my rebel, nothing’s gonna stop us.