Status: Completed!

Rebel Love Song

Children of the Grave

Lily clung tightly to my hand, looking around nervously at the crowd. I had already checked the suitcase that Grandma had given me with all the stuff she wanted me to take back. My hands were free so I lifted Lily up and settled her against my shoulder. Last thing I needed was a frightened five year old on a plane with me.

I found two seats for us in our waiting area and set her down, taking off my leather jacket in the same motion. My grandma was adamant about me not going out in public in my pajamas, so I’d been forced to get dressed. In true Sky fashion, I’d gone for a leather jacket, a band t-shirt, black jeans and boots that had chains around the ankles. And just to really top it off, I’d traded my normal studs for rings in my snakebites. Not exactly what my grandmother had in mind, but I was dressed.

“Auntie Sky?” Lily tugged on my t-shirt sleeve.

“What’s up sweetie?” I looked down at her.

“That man over there is staring at you.” She pointed at a guy sitting across from us. He had a few tattoos that I could see on his forearms and what looked like plugs. All in all, cute.

“Let him stare.” I shrugged, crossing my legs in the other direction. The chains on my boots jangled when I moved. Lily swung her little feet, her Converse thunking against the chair with each swing. I played with one of my rings, trying not to make eye contact with the guy who was clearly checking me out.

When he got up and came over to sit next to me, that was a whole different story.

“Hi.” He said, sitting next to me. He had blonde shaggy hair and warm brown eyes.

“If you’d taken a picture it would have lasted longer.” I didn’t mean to sound so bitchy.

“That’s also incredibly creepy.” He chuckled. I just raised my eyebrow at him. “So where are you headed?”

“This flight’s to LA dude.”

“Do you live there?”

“Yep.” I didn’t know how I felt about this guy giving me attention.

“I’m Craig by the way.”

“Sky.” I pushed my bangs out of my face. The flight attendant called for boarding and I bolted for the line with Lily. I hated waiting in line to get on airplanes.

I made sure Lily was buckled in and settled before sitting in my own seat. She had the window and I had the middle seat.

And Craig had the aisle seat.

“Well hello again.” He grinned at me. I ended up talking to him for most of the flight while Lily went into her own little world. He must have heard Lily call me Auntie Sky cuz he didn’t ask if I was her mom. Craig told me he was going to L.A. to visit his brother for a few weeks.

I was a little sad when we landed to be honest. He was a nice guy and we talked about tattoos for a long time. It was nice.

“It was really nice to meet you.” I said as we got off the plane. I was carrying Lily again so we wouldn’t get separated.

“It was nice to see you too. Listen, I’m gonna be here for a couple weeks-” Craig got cut off by someone yelling my name.

“Sky!” Jake waved at me as he walked toward me. Ignoring Craig completely, he gave me a tight hug.

“Hey Jake.” I admit, I melted into his arms a little.

“Hey kiddo, how’s it going?” Jake said to Lily. She beamed at him and wiggled in my arms, clearly trying to get to Jake. I passed her off to Jake and turned back to Craig, who looked vaguely uncomfortable.

“You were saying?” I said to him.

“I didn’t know you had a boyfriend, sorry.” He practically tripped over himself walking away. I turned to see Jake…smirking?

“Did you enjoy that?” I asked.

“What happened to him?” He was holding Lily on his hip like he’d held a kid every day of his life.

“He thought you were my boyfriend and bolted.” I rolled my eyes. “Lame.”

“Can I see the doggie now?” Lily blurted, cutting off anything Jake might have had to say.

“She’s so jazzed about Trixy.” I shook my head.

“Well that’s good cuz Ash is in the car with her right now.” Jake pulled a funny face and Lily laughed.

“You’re a natural, you know that?” I grabbed the suitcase off the carousel with an ease that comes from years of practice. I traded the suitcase for Lily and we headed out. She started to wiggle in my arms when she saw Trixy in the window of Jake’s car.

“Sky, my one true love!” Ashley said dramatically, throwing his arms around me.

“I already lost one potential date from Jake hugging me, I don’t need you doing it too.” I hugged him back anyway and watched Lily play with Trixy in the back seat.

“Aww, I’ll date you.” Ashley winked and started to get in the passenger seat.

“Uh uh, I get shotgun.” I waited while he sighed and got out of the front seat.

“Lily, this is Ashley. Ash, my niece Lily.” I said as way of introduction.

“Ashley’s a girl’s name.” Lily said in a very matter-of-fact voice. Jake busted up laughing.

“I knew I liked that kid.” He chuckled. The whole drive back to the house was spent laughing or bickering with Ashley.

Andy, CC, Sammi and Jeremy were waiting at the house when we pulled up.

“Sammi!” Lily cheered, running headlong for my redheaded friend. They’d met a few times and Lily loved her.

“Hey munchkin.” Sammi laughed, scooping her up.

“Lily, this is Jeremy, Andy and Christian.” I pointed them out for her. She waved at them and then went to play with Trixy in the living room. “Hey kid, don’t you wanna see your room?” She latched herself onto my leg at that and I brought her to her room.

“Can Trixy be in here with me?” She asked.

“I don’t see why not.” I kissed her forehead. “You should probably take a nap sweetie, you’re gonna be tired.”

“I don’t wanna sleep.” This statement was followed by a yawn.

“Come on, time for beddy bye.” I helped her change into her pajamas and tucked her in, Trixy curled up next to her on the bed. I headed out as soon as her eyes closed.

“So this is what you look like when you travel?” Andy asked, gesturing at my outfit.

“I wanted to wear sweats but my grandma told me to get dressed. I got dressed.” I shrugged.

“Lily’s a cute kid.” Christian said.

“That kid is gonna be a heartbreaker one day.” I laughed, sitting down the arm of the chair that Jake was sitting in. There was no other place to sit.

“Come on, I think we can squeeze both of us in here. Your ass is pretty small.” Jake scooted over in the armchair and patted the empty space.

“Yeah, but you’ve gotta make room for my hips.” I barely managed to squeeze in. Our hipbones were grinding against each other. “Okay, this is not gonna work.” I pushed myself up and onto his lap.

“What’s in that suitcase your grandma sent?” Sammi asked.

“I actually have no idea. I didn’t look in it before we left.” I yawned and leaned my head on Jake’s shoulder.

“You should go sleep.” Jake poked my shoulder.

“I don’t wanna.” I sounded exactly like Lily. “I’m a big girl. If someone would make me coffee that’d be nice.”

“I got it.” Jake moved me off his lap and five minutes later I had a cup of coffee in my hands. I still continued to yawn.

“You need to sleep Sky.” Sammi said.

“Fine fine.” I mumbled.

“We’ll come back tomorrow to get acquainted with Lily.” Andy promised.

“Sounds good.” I waved goodbye to everyone. They filed out and everything was quiet. I was still sitting in Jake’s lap. I got up and nearly killed myself on the coffee table when my foot got hooked around the leg.

“You’re gonna die if I let you walk aren’t you.” Jake laughed, picking me up like I weighed no more than Lily.

“You don’t have to carry me. As long as there aren’t any more obstacles in my way.” I yawned again. He set me down on my bed and left.

All I could hear was my grandma’s words echoing in my head about marrying him.

“Well fuck that.” I muttered, stripping down to my underwear and crawling under the covers, where I promptly fell asleep.