Oh My Sweet Carolina

O N E

They got the call on a Monday night. A neighbor called reporting a strange smell coming from the next apartment, one that’s been lingering for a few days now. The building itself was fairly old, and in a not so good area of New York, so smells were not uncommon, but this, this reminded the old man of death, and he did not enjoy it one bit.

Officer Lanyon of the NYPD and his partner Officer Reid were the two assigned to the call and made their way up the ten flights of stairs, as they reached the last step, the smell was overpowering. The two looked at each other, recognizing the smell as death right away, but both men were unprepared for what they were going to find in the small one bedroom apartment.

Lanyon, knocked on door 10B waiting a few moments for someone to answer, not getting a response he knocked again. After 5 minutes, Lanyon tried the door knob and was unsurprised to find the door unlocked. He pushed the door open and both men brought their sleeves up to their nose, as the smell had gotten overbearing.

Walking inside they noticed the apartment was fairly empty, straight ahead of them was a small kitchen, and a two-seater table. To the right, was a doorway, and opening it up they found it to be what they were guessing was a bedroom, but only found an old brown stained mattress and a small pile of clothes in the corner. To the left of the kitchen was a hallway that led to the living room area, and that’s when they found what they were looking for.

A woman of about 24 was lying on the floor in a pool of her own blood, she was pale, and small flies were circling over her. They assumed she had been dead for a few days now. Looking around they found a small TV, with an old school antenna and a red couch pushed in the corner that looked like it had seen better days.

Reid was about to call in what they had found when the two men heard a soft whimper. Looking down at the body they knew there was no possible way for the woman to be alive so Reid began looking around the room, finding nothing. Lanyon on the other hand walked over to the couch and as he got closer, the whimpering was clearer.

Lanyon pulled the couch away slowly, and was not prepared for what he saw. Huddling in the corner was a young girl about two years old, clutching an old stuffed elephant, wearing nothing but a diaper that clearly needed changing.

The sight was heartbreaking.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song of the day
Austin Gibbs - All by yourself