Uncertainties.

01.

September 17th, 2009.

That’s when I first saw him. He meandered through the sunlit forest, a smile on his face. My mother & I had just gotten into an argument about the recent divorce with dad. I ended up blaming it on her because of her constant infidelity. It was true, but my dad was also to blame for his infidelity as well. I don’t know why I had censured her on something that I had no involvement in, nor did I have any reason to be involved. Although, I guess that’s why I spoke out. That was thing, I wasn’t involved.

I felt invisible and it didn’t feel right at all.

So when my mother ran up the wooden stairs to her bedroom, I snuck out to my sanctuary out in the forest. It was when I was almost to the river when I saw a boy’s golden hair shine in the sun.

Oh how beautiful he was.

His hair was so stunning & gold, it was as if it were created by the hands of Midas. I tried hiding behind trees and bushes just to get a closer look at him.

“Are you looking for something, Miss?” I heard someone say as I noticed the boy’s sudden absence.

“No, I’m fine,” I mumbled, disappointed that I had lost sight of him. Sighing, I looked up at the person who had spoken to me.

And there he was, the gorgeous forest boy.

“So why are you darting around here like a mad rabbit?” he chuckled lightly, meeting my eyes. As soon as I dove into those eyes of blue, I swear I couldn’t breathe.

“I-I’m not,” I stuttered, smiling.

“Sure you weren’t,” he grinned, sitting down on a rock in front of us.

He knew.

“I-I’m serious,” I stuttered again, taking a seat next to him. My nostrils were immediately inundated with his lemongrass scent.

“You were staring at me,” he said. I instantly hung my head, embarrassed that he had noticed my presence. I looked over at him and his smile was still plastered on his flawless face.

“Don’t be embarrassed. It’s fine. I actually don’t mind,” he laughed, running his fingers through his head.

And so it began. Everyday for five months, we would sit at the same place and talk until the moon came out. I learned that his name was Ari Jones and he found out my name was Lilya. As the days passed by, I knew Ari better than I knew myself.

But one day, that changed.