Sequel: No title yet

Ever Since You Walked Into My Life

That Kid

I awoke to the gentle warmth of the sun peering in through my windows, the cool, winter air no longer a big deal anymore. Time was beginning to go by quicker and the sickening feeling of guilt and dread seemed to roll off my shoulders like a raindrop off a window. I could breath again. I sat up in bed, brushing my fingers through my hair to keep it from my eyes. I took a quick look around my room and realized how unusued it looked.

It was like no one lived in it. Like it was just for show. I slid my feet from under my blanket and onto my carpeted floor, searching for my slip ons with my toes. I slipped my feet in when they were found and peeked over at my alarm clock. It was almost eight o' clock in the morning. Sammi was due in for school in about fifteen minutes. But for once, I found myself not really caring. I felt like I rolled a blunt of God's Gift and smoked it to myself.

My worries had seemed to seep away during the night, even though it took months of coaxing from Norman to get here. It was already a month since our cliche moment at my job. Things were different and for once I felt content with myself. Like nothing could tear me down now, no matter how bad things became. And they never did. Norman and I worked together over that month, finding eachothers' strengths and weaknesses.

We were a couple that consisted of one; we were so alike it was scary. Sammi's face shined brighter every day, not seeing me upset or blank faced over something going wrong. It was worth it. Every second was worth it to see that smile on her lips, the mole beneath her eye poking up and her eyebrows raising. It was a comfortable smile; one of true happiness that I hadn't seen on her in a long time.

I hugged the large sweatshirt I was wearing closer to my body and smiled. Norman had given it to me a few nights ago and for some reason I didn't want to give it back. It still had his smell of cigarettes and musk, no matter how many times I washed it. It was all him. The hole in the right elbow from wear and tear; the coffee stain in the center of the chest; the uneven pull string that always drove me nuts if he didn't fix it.

But I kept it the same, because it was all him. I rose from my bed and stepped into my the kitchen, turning on the coffee pot and pulling a cigarette from my nearly empty pack. I sat down at the table and saw my cell phone, which Norman was adamant on getting me so we could keep in touch. That was a small argument which I clearly lost.

It was a Straight Talk from Walmart, a small $45 fee every month which included everything to be unlimited. He of course picked out the fancy touch screens, but I was happy enough with my little flip phone. I didn't have a major business I needed to keep track of. I only wanted to be able to call and text. I rested my feet up on the seat in front of me and flipped open my cell, smilingg at the three messages from Norman.

They all basically said the same thing, each with a reminder on how much he cared for me, but they certainly put a smile on my face. When my coffee was done I made a quick cup and sat back at the table. It was already eight o' clock and I had a few hours before I was needed in for work. Yet my carefree attitude poked through again and I dialed Stop and Shop's number before I could stop myself.

Thankyou for calling Stop and Shop. How can I help you?

"Hey, Dory, is Karen there? It's Rascal."I flicked the ashes from my cigarette and waited as she put me on hold.

Karen came onto the phone just a few short seconds after, pronouncing herself as the manager like she normally did.

"Karen, it's Rascal."I took another pull from my cigarette and smiled at the concern in her voice.

"Hi, honey, is everything okay?"She asked softly.

"Everything's fine. I just wanted to let you know I'd be missing work today. I've got a few things I need to take care of."I said."I'll be in tomorrow first thing."

"Alright,"I could hear the hesitance in her voice."Are you sure everythings okay?"

"Actually, it's really good."I chuckled quietly.

"Alright then,"Karen said, "I'll see you tomorrow bright and early."

I put down my phone after texting Norman back, reminding him to have a good day and relax, which he simply responded with a smiley. I could hear the quiet patter of Sammi's footsteps and looked back, smiling warmly as she rubbed a small fist over her left eye.

"What time is it?"Her yawn broke the last few words of her sentence.

"Um,"I looked down at my phone, reading the glowing green on the screen."Almost a quarter after eight."

"Oh,"Her eyes widened like she forgot about an important date."I'm late for school!"

"It's alright, Sam,"I stubbed out my cigarette and spun in my chair to face her."I figured we could both use a day off."

Sammi cracked a smile, her eyes glowing with happiness. She clenched her fists together, brought them to her chest and excitedly asked, "Really?! You too?!"

"Me too."I smiled.

Sammi's smile brightened, but before she could exclaim in joy anymore, a gentle knocking came at my front door. I peeked down the hallway just slightly, my eyebrow raising in curiosity. Sammi walked over to the door, prying it open with a serious look on her face. Once it fell into a girly smile, however, I knew who was standing in front of her.

"Hi, Norman!"She lurched forward, wrapping her arms tight around his waist.

"Hey, Sam,"He hugged her back, stepping in just enough to shut the door."What are you sick or something like that?"

"Something like that."Sammi giggled as she pulled away.

"Hey, Norman."I stepped forward, a schoolgirl grin plastered to my lips.

"Hey,"He leaned forward, his left hand gently placing itself against my lower back as he pressed a kiss to my lips.

"Are you guys dating yet?"Sammi asked bluntly.

I laughed out of nerves when I pulled away, a light shade of pink blushing over my cheeks at the same time. At least she came out and said it.

"Yeah,"Norman gently kicked the floor with the tip of his boot like a shy child.

Sammi moved forward, wrapping her arms around my waist. She looked up at me, resting her chin just above my bellybutton. Her smile grew into a sly one and I had a feeling a sarcastic comment was soon to follow.

"You can keep Norman. I like him."Sammi grinned.

"Oh, well,"I peeked over at Norman and laughed,"I'm glad to have your approval. Why don't you go play in your room for a bit? Norman and I will be in the kitchen if you need us."

"Alright,"Sammi pulled away and escaped into her bedroom, leaving the door cracked slightly like normal.

Norman and I made our way to the kitchen, where I could finish my coffee and offer him some as well. When his steaming cup was resting on the kitchen table, I sat down in the seat adjacent to him, resting my slippered feet in his lap. I smiled warmly and sipped from my nuke warm cup before asking, "So, what's going on?"

"Something's going on?"He sipped from his as well, his face scrunching at the burn.

I chuckled quietly and said, "Yeah, it's hot."

"Oh yeah."He laughed quietly and set his drink down.

He rested a hand on my right slipper and shifted in his seat. He placed his free hand on the table and cleared his throat. He seemed a little nervous, in a childish way, and offered me another goofy grin.

"Alright, really," I set down my cup and pulled my feet from his lap.

I leaned forward, waiting on his explanation on his dorky behavior.

"I've been thinking, for a while now,"Norman began, "We've known eachother for a long time. Granted, there's been some ups and downs, but its been going pretty well."

He smiled widened as he spit, "I want to take a trip. A week long vacation, per se. Call you're job and take the next week off. I think its about time you see what I do in person."

"Meaning?"I arched my eyebrow in confusion and tried to hide my smile.

"We're filming season two of The Walking Dead in Georgia. I think you and Sammi should come along. I'll take care of expenses."He said softly."Whaddya say?"

"Um,"I chuckled nervously and shook my head.

It was one of the coolest, yet scariest, questions he's asked me yet. I'd love to stay on set and see what Norman did for a living, but what worried me the most was taking a week from work or meeting his coworkers. It was the actual plane ride. The fact that we'd be miles above ground and one wrong thing could take us down.

"Come on. They'll be zombies."He teased, nudging my leg with his boot."I know you love zombies. And its just a week. I promise you'll have fun. Sammi would. I'm even taking Mingus along this time."

"I don't,"I stopped for a moment, because revealing my little fear would only make him laugh."I don't know if I can take a week off of work."

"Don't worry about it."he mused.

"And what about the school?"I questioned.

"They're fine with Mingus. And Sammi never misses school. They can't tell you no, really."He said.

A low gurgle of anticipation rumbled in the back of my throat. I didn't see a way out of this, but despite my fear, I was extremely excited to go "behind the scenes" for real.

"Alright."I grinned.

"Alright?"He smiled.

"Alright!"I laughed.

"Awesome,"He smiled like a fool, taking his cup of coffee in his hand once more, "I gotta go, though. So,"

He sipped from his beverage and set it down. Norman rose from his seat and leaned forward, kissing me softly on the lips.

"I'll see you soon. We leave Sunday."He brushed my hair back and whispered, "Love ya."

"Love you too."I took my coffee in hand and took a large gulp.

The door closed loudly behind Norman and I sighed nervously. I was okay with the trip now, but once we stepped foot into the airport I was pretty sure I would have a panic attack. I chuckled to myself, more so like a lunatic, and whispered, "Wonder if they'll let me pop a Xanax or two before the flight."

I set down my cup, rose from my seat and began my short walk to Sam's room. I stopped, however, when she walked out, a large garbage bag hanging from her arms. I went to reach forward, but she jerked it back, saying, "I got it!"

"What's in there?"I watched her pass me and noticed random parts of her Barbies prodding out of the bag."Are you throwing out your toys?"

Sammi stopped with a huff and turned, her eyes rolling slightly.

"They're not toys, Rascal. They're dolls."She said."And I don't need'm anymore."

"Why not?"I watched as Sammi shifted the bag in her arms.

"They did their job."She smiled before turning on her heel.

She continued to the kitchen, where I heard her drop the bag into the trash. I crossed my arms over my chest and chuckled quietly. Sammi was too smart for her own good sometimes. What exactly were the dolls job? World peace? I stopped for a moment, remembering her "Norman and Rascal" conversations when I peeked in on her. It all seemed to make sense, somehow, to me. I shook my head with a huff and whispered, "That kid."
♠ ♠ ♠
I wish Sammi was real.
I like her haha.
Hope you guys enjoyed! :)