Sequel: No title yet

Ever Since You Walked Into My Life

Next Step

The week had vanished. Gone by like a leaf on the wind. I was caught in a spiral, images of the days swirling around in my mind like a home video. It was fun, to say the very least. Sammi and Mingus made new friends, Sammi more than any of us. She seemed so carefree. Spoke to anyone who gave her the time of day. And for that, I was so happy.

The shooting scheduale would pick up next week, but being that Norman would be wanted back so soon alone was a little upsetting. He would be so busy now, but so long as he was content with what he had to do, there was no reason to stop him. It was late Saturday afternoon when we walked through his door, tired and fighting the urge to collapse where we stood.

Sammi and Mingus had a sudden burst of energy and ran to his room, where I'm sure they would be playing video games or watch tv. Norman and I had a cup of coffee, hoping the caffeine would boost us up. I sat back into the couch, fingers curled around my ceramic cup and legs tucked beneath me. I smiled as he walked by, but gained nothing in response.

He seemed a little out of it, for reasons I was unsure of. I asked him about it during the flight, but he only smiled and said he was fine. He seemed to be deep in thought. He paced and fidgeted with little things. Smoked more than he usually did. I was concerned, but I didn't want to push him. He turned on the radio in the other room and I saw him bring his painting utencils to the wall.

When my cup was done I set it on the table and leaned back into the couch. I yawned loudly and felt my eyes grow increasingly heavy. I don't know how long I had sat there, but when I came to I saw him above me, a small smile playing along his lips. He leaned forward and asked, "Hey, how's pizza sound? I don't feel like cooking."

I nodded, mumbled and okay and sat up. I must have fallen asleep, because dinner time had rolled around pretty fast. The house was quiet, the radio turned off and the kids were quiet. Norman chuckled and said, "They passed right out. Their asleep in the bean bag chairs in Mingus' room."

"Oh," I laughed and pulled myself to my feet.

I followed Norman to the kitchen and sat at the island, watching as he dialed the phone and ordered the pies. He set the phone on the granite top when he was done and sighed softly. I was beginning to get a little worried now. His shoulders had slumped and he stared out into the space to our left. I followed his gaze, but the painting was covered by the sheet again.

What was he looking at? I frowned and reached out, taking his hands. He had been fine all week, until yesterday. He seemed to shut himself out. Was he sick of me? Tired of dealing with Sammi and I? He squeezed my hands and I quietly asked, "Norman, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, why?" he arched his eyebrow, like he was a little confused.

"Want me and Sam to go?" I asked.

"Actually, I was wondering if you guys wanted to stay the night. I wanted to talk to you anyway," he said softly.

"On one condition," he listened further, "if you tell me what's wrong."

"I've just been thinking for a bit. I thought of it before," he shifted uncomfortably in his seat, "but I guess its been hounding me for a bit."

"Don't wanna meet Mom?" It was the only thing I could think of.

"Oh, that's not it at all," he laughed quietly and shook his head, "I want to meet your mom. You've got so many stories with her,"

He trailed off, a bit of sadness seeping into his features. He grew quiet for a moment. The tension in the room seemed to double in size. He ran his thumb smoothly over my hand and after what seemed like hours said, "I have a question."

"Anything, Norman," I said.

"I've been drilling this in my mind for a while. What do you say," he stopped again.

I nearly fell from my seat. What was he proposing?

"What do you say you and Sammi come here? For good. I could keep Mingus home and in school. I wouldn't have to worry. You won't have to worry about bills anymore. I think it'd be good for all of us," his smile was shy, like he was expecting a hard rejection.

"You want to move in together?" I laughed, not at him, but for feeling so insecure, "That's what's been bothering you?"

"A little, yeah," he shrugged.

"And here I thought," I scoffed at myself and shook my head.

Norman squeezed my hands tighter and offered me a smile.

"What?" he asked.

"Here I thought you were sick of me," I laughed.

Norman shook his head. This time he laughed.

"I won't get sick of you, I can promise you that." he released my hands, stood from his seat and made the few steps to my side.

I spun in my seat to face him. I looked up and smiled. He'd been so worried. So panicked over a question. I could feel my stomach rumble with unneasy nerves and shivered. Norman pulled me to my feet and gently wrapped his arms around my middle. He looked down at me, his eyes wide and wondering. I hadn't answered him yet.

"So, what do you say?" he asked.

"I say yes," I laughed as he hugged me, his arms tight and constricitng.

Norman knelt down, kissed me sweetly and let his hands roam to my face. He brushed his thumbs beneath my closed eyes, his touch warm and comforting. This was the normal Norman. Loving, affectionate. He pulled away and rested his forehead against my own. He grinned, the lines in his eyes creasing just slightly.

"Oh, one more thing," he began.

"That is?" I waited patiently for his answer.

"Quit that god forsaken job of yours." I laughed at his response, "maybe go to school like you wanted too."

I laced my arms around his neck, a playful smile pulling at my lips. I went to speak, but the doorbell rang out into the house. I chuckled, turned away for a moment and said, "Pizza's here."
♠ ♠ ♠
<3