Sequel: No title yet

Ever Since You Walked Into My Life

Starting Over

I was elated, a swelled knot of passive content fondling my heart. My life had crumbled to a halt, tore from its destructive path it was wandering down. I was mislaid for so long, and in a peotic sense, Norman was my North Star. A way home to safety, to happiness. If he hadn't walked into my life, I don't know where Sammi and I would have ended up. A few calm days had passed by, slow, but eventful.

I had phoned my lanlady, explained Sammi and I would no longer occupy her rental. She was sad to see us go, regardless of being a hassle with rent. She loved Sammi, but then again, who didn't? My utilities were schedualed to go off later today. I was pretty sure they were shocked I wasn't being turned off due to lack of payments. I kind of was, if we're being honest. While Sammi was at school, I managed to pack her bedroom.

I'd kept the move secretive, the news would be a certain surprise when I told her later. When she asked why I had boxed our very few items, I explained it was the beginning of a spring cleaning. Though winter had gone a month ago, her eight year old mind couldn't see past that. I only had one thing left to do, which saddened me the most. Though I loved Karen and occasionally my job, I decided I'd accept Norman's offer.

I stubbed out my cigarette and walked into Stop and Shop. This was my last day off in the week. The perfect opportunity to catch Karen. And as I rounded the corner into customer service, she was just finishing with one last customer. I smiled warmly, watched as she handed back a fumbled receit, and wished the woman a swell day. When she looked up she brightened, smile reaching the creases of her mature eyes.

"You're so tan!" she came around the desk and offered me a hug, "How was it?"

"I'll tell you all about it if you take your lunch," I winked.

"Good idea. Let me phone Denise," she retraced her steps and picked up the phone.

After we ordered a cup of soup from hot foods and made way into the warm weather, we sat at the furest bench, enjoying a smoke, the not too salty chicken noodle. In a few short moments, she asked, "So, how's everything going? You and Sammi okay? What about that guy you're with?"

"Everything," I stopped for a moment to ponder my thoughts, "is better than I could ever ask for, actually. And I wanted to talk to you, Karen. I'm giving in my two weeks,"

Her facial expression said it all; she was shocked. She stubbed out her smoke and shook her head, "I'm sorry, Rascal. Is everything okay?"

"Perfect," I sighed dreamily, "I'm moving in with him. Karen, this is the first good thing to happen to me since Daddy died. Since Mom went into the home. I'm,"

I caught my breath, clenched my eyes closed. I was getting teary eyed, the overwhelming feeling of being victorious embracing me.

"I've never been so happy. He wants me to go to school, do what I want to do," I sniffled softly, tried to hide it with a drag of my cigarette, "Norman's great with Sammi, great with me. He doesn't know what its like, what we've gone through, but he understands."

Karen stayed quiet for a moment. Curious eyes showing she was deep in thought. After a few moments, she finally spoke, "I'm so proud of you, Rascal. I told you everything would turn out fine. You just have to stick it out and you'll catch a break. Oh, Rascal, I'm so happy you guys are doing well,"

She grasped my free hand and squeezed. She smiled, eyes rimmed with salty tears. I chuckled quietly, not being able to help myself. I hugged her tightly, because Karen had become like a second mother. She helped me, listened when things fell apart. I pulled away and after tossing my smoke, I wiped at my eyes.

"I want to tell you how much I appreciate everything you've done for me and Sam. You've helped us out so many times. And I," I breathed in, gave her a large, genuine smile, "I consider you like a mother figure, Karen. You've honestly kept sane for a long time. Now that I'm finally happy, I can move on, I guess."

By now, it was obvious I had made Karen cry. She wiped consistently at her tears, smiling and shaking her head. She hugged me tightly. I was a little surprised at her strength, "Christ, Rascal, make me cry on my god damn break. You're making it out like I'm never gonna see you again,"

She pulled away and smiled, "But thankyou, really."

"I mean it," I said, "really."

"Well, I'll get your papers ready for leave. Make sure to give you a good amount of hours," Karen stood with me.

We said our goodbyes, but I quickly turned back, fishing into my front pocket, "Karen, wait!"

I pulled out a twnety dollar bill and folded it into her hands, "Thankyou,"

She smiled and waved me off. By the time I had gotten back into town, it was only about one o' clock. I had to finish packing my own bedroom, which would be fairly quick. I pulled into my driveway and made way to my apartment. I dropped the keys on my kitchen table and found the stack of boxes of our things in the living room. Most could be tossed, but the essentials wasn't much. I stepped into my room, relieved I was an organized person.

Packing was simple; clothes in one box; essentials in another. But after removing my very few items, I came across my small, personal box of my mother's belongings. I ran my fingers along the worn cardboard, careful when putting aside. I would always carry their memories with me, no matter where I landed. I was sure to make a mental note to call Sandra. Not only to check on our mom, but to invite her over one of these days.

I escaped my room with two midsize boxes. I made a few trips from my apartment to the pickup, stashing boxes like a puzzle in the bed. It was odd, just barely filling the eight foot bed with our belongings. I found myself a little guilty, slightly upset. I washed the feeling away with another cigarette, inhaling a lung full of the toxic smoke. I checked my cell, realizing it was almost a quarter after two. Sammi would be getting out of school soon.

I had taken Norman's truck this morning, offering him some peace and quiet so he could continue his painting. I would finish packing, after denying his help multiple times, and pick up the kids. I grabbed the keys from the table and stared at the bare house. Random knick knacks littered the floor, but I would eventually make a quick sweep. Make sure I didn't forget anything. I was en route to Dunkin Donuts, figuring I had enough time.

I ordered for the lot of us and made it just in time for school to let out. Sammi was always out first, smiling, saying goodbye to her friends. Today, though, as she looked on and saw the boxes, her cheeky smile vanished she climbed into the truck, eyes fixated on me. She spoke quietly, "Why are there boxes in the truck? Are we moving again?"

I lowered my head, gave her a long, serious stare, "Yeah, Sam, we are."

"How many days do we have?" she whispered.

I frowned, suddenly not liking this game anymore. I hated her knowledge of evictions. I sighed dramatically, "Well as long as it takes. And how many times do I have to remind you of that little promise I made?"

Her features contorted in confusion, "But I thought - what are you doing?"

I smiled then and slowly, she did too. Mingus had just escaped the school and was headed for us.

"How does living with Norman and Mingus sound?" she lit up, face bright, a glow.

"Really? Do you mean it?" with a nod, she was sure to hug me, "it'll be like a sleepover forever!"

"Exactly," Mingus climbed into the car, talking a mile a minute with Sammi.

I'd given them their ice cream and within ten minutes pulled into Norman's drive. He greetes us outside, smiling wildly as Sammi went on about a permanent aleepover. I grabbed a box from the truck and turned, finding Norman reaching out for it. He shoved a thumb back to the kids, "Told'er the news?"

I chuckled and nodded. Norman grabbed my box, leaned over it and kissed me sweetly. He pulled it from my hands and commented, "Not a lot of stuff,"

"Moved a lot. Couldnt have a lot," I replied.

We moved them in, dropping then carefully inside. When we finished, I noticed the mockingly white sheet was hung over his painting. He still refused to let me look, but being that he wasn't in here... I stepped over and gently plucked at it with my fingers. I rose it, but was abruptly stopped by Norman. He pulled me from the floor, holding me tightly into his chest. I laughed loudly as he walked away from it.

"I saw that you sneak," he walked into the living room, adjusting his grip around my waist, "what were you doing, huh?! Don't you lie,"

"Nothing at all, I swear," I yelped as he fell forward into the couch.

"You're not allowed to see it yet," he grinned and sat up, his hands resting againgst my hips, "now what to do, what to do,"

I rolled onto my back, offering him a smile, "I got you coffee. That should be an apology all in it's own."

"I knew I loved you for a good reason," he smirked, "you make a good maid,"

"Don't test me or it'll abruptly stop," I teased.

"You wouldn't dare," he smiled.

"I could stop a lot of stuff," I laughed.

Norman chuckled and looked down at me he gently pushed a strand of her from my face and leaned down to kiss me. I sighed softly against his lips, feeling that tingling sensation of hope swelling in my chest as he whispered, "I love you, Rascal."
♠ ♠ ♠
God, so sorry for the wait. I really neglected this story and i apologize. Thankyou guys for all the comments, subs and recs! I really appreciate it! Hope you enjoyed! <3