Sequel: No title yet

Ever Since You Walked Into My Life

Bad News

I leaned back into the cold metal of my register and ran a heavy hand down my face. It had been a long, tiring day and I couldn't wait to get home. I peeked down at the clock and smiled, knowing I had just a little less than an hour before I could go home. I had been working since five o' clock this morning with Karen to ready the store for it's yearly Can - Can sale. Sammi would be getting out of school in about two hours, so I had to make sure I had picked her up.

She didn't want to walk home today, which was understandable. The weather was beginning to get a little cold now that we were heading into October. I felt my eyes grow heavy and my head dip forward, so I tried to straighten my posture up slightly. The last time my eyes began to close, a heavy hand slapped against my register, jerking me awake quickly. I looked up, finding Melissa, another cashier, by my side. She chuckled quietly and said, "Go take your break, hon."

"Thanks, Mel."I signed off of the computer and snaked my way toward the clock to punch out for my break.

The long hours were beginning to ware me down, but I knew in the end it would be worth it. I had managed to scrounge up almost two hundred dollars in my small glass jar at home. I felt good, knowing I could save up money for a rainy day, until Karen began to call my name. I turned, finding that her usual smile was off today. She waved me over, so I met her half way. She let out a quiet huff, but before I could ask her what was wrong, she said, "Hey, Rascal, I have some bad news."

I stopped for a moment, hoping that the words you're fired wouldn't seep through her lips any time soon. I had never been late or called out, with the only reason that I couldn't afford to do either of those. I swallowed my fear and quietly asked, "What is it, Karen?"

She seemed a little upset about the subject, so I only prayed that everything was alright. She huffed softly and said, "Drew needs all departments to cut back on hours for a few weeks, Rascal. Those extra hours are going to stop for a while."

"Wh - what?"I whimpered."I need those hours, Karen! You don't understand."

"I know, sweetheart."She gently brushed her hand down my arm."I'm going to work my hardest to get those hours to you as soon as possible. If anyone calls out, I'll call you first, alright? I'm sorry, Rascal."

"It's okay, Karen. It's not your fault."I whispered.

I could feel the dread crawl along my shoulders the instant I found out I no longer had the long hours I needed. I only gave Karen a warm smile and said, "I'll be back in fifteen."

"Take your time, Rascal. I wont penalize you for it."She tried to force a smile, but we both knew how she felt about this.

I clocked out and quietly made my way outside. The cool weather sent goosebumps up every inch of showing skin as I sat down on the bench. I stuck my hand into my pocket and pulled out my pack of Mavericks. I stuck it in between my lips and casually held a flame up until I could feel that burn crawling down my throat. I wiped at my eyes, hoping that my tears wouldn't ruin the rest of my day. Knowing that my hours were cut short meant that I would have to go back to spaghetti.

That I would have to result back to my two dollar cigars from the mini mart down the street from me. I sighed quietly and made my cigarette break short. I stubbed it out in the ash tray before making my way back inside. The last half hour of work had gone quickly and before I knew it, I was traveling back outside to my '86 Chevelle in the parking lot. The back window was cracked, my muffler was gone and my power steering had disappeared months ago, but it was still a car.

I climbed into the torn, leather seat and shoved my keys into the ignition. I revved my loud car to life, but before I left, I shoved my hand into my front pocket. I had ten dollars and knew that it would be the last extra money for a while. My clock on the radio read two thirty, so I knew Sammi would be getting out of school soon. I pushed my gear shifter into drive and set off toward the closest Baskin Robins. Sammi had been wanting cookie dough ice cream for the last few days, so I was going to bring some to her.

I pulled into the parking lot and stepped from my car. I hugged my smock closer to my body as I rushed in through the front doors. I looked down at all the ice creams, wondering what each one tasted like or which one was the best flavor. I licked over my lips and shot my head up when a young woman asked, "Can I help you?"

"Um,"I looked at the cup sizes and pointed to the second largest."how much is that cup?"

"Two thirty five."I gave her a small smile and said, "I'll take two of those. One with cookie dough ice cream and the other with,"

I placed a finger to my chin as I looked over the countless flavors. I had always enjoyed cookies and cream and at the moment, it seemed to be screaming out to me. I pointed down at it and said, "Cookies and cream."

I watched as she scooped the creamy ice cream and dropped it into the cup. By the time I had gotten back into my car, I was nearly drooling. I popped the top to my ice cream and stole a small bite, only because I could no longer hold myself back. I turned my car back on before I made my way toward Sammi's school. I parked out front and sat inside, because the cold outside was no match for my short sleeve smock and tank top. When the bell finally rang, I waited a few moments as the kids piled out the front doors.

When the taller, older kids started to walk out, I grabbed hold of Sammi's ice cream and stepped from my car. I watched when she walked through as the kids joked and spoke with her. It made my heart melt, knowing that she could now have a group of friends without having to leave. I choked back slightly, however, when I remember that my hours had been cut. Sammi stopped for a moment and spoke with a blonde boy, who looked just about her age.

She gave him a happy grin before turning and running toward me. My eyes continued to follow the young boy as he walked through the countless kids and met with his father. I looked up, finding that he seemed just about my age, possibly a little older. He ruffled his sons hair slightly before hugging him tightly into his side. He looked up for a moment from his son, only to lock eyes with me. He offered me a warm smile before turning away and heading back to his car.

"Rascal!"I felt Sammi tug on my shirt, forcing me to nearly knock the ice cream from my hands.

I looked down and chuckled lightly. I pushed the cup of ice cream in her face and said, "Cookie dough ice cream. Just like you wanted."

"Oh, cool! Thanks, Rascal!"She hugged my hips tightly and began to dig into her delicious treat.

With a mouthful of ice cream, she looked up and asked, "Want some?"

"I'm okay. I have mine in the car. Let's go, Sam."I wrapped my arm over her shoulder and started our walk back to the car."So, who was that little boy?"

"Oh, that's Mingus."She smiled."He was the boy I was telling you about."

"Oh, he seems nice."I opened her door, letting her climb into the passengers seat."Don't sit on my ice cream!"

By the time I had gotten back into my car, I had fallen back on that quick, one second glance I had gotten from that man. His eyes had seemed like they could tell hundreds of stories, if not more. I swallowed hard and shook the thoughts from my head. I had one priority and that was Sammi. I wasn't going to play games with a man, especially if he had a loving wife back home waiting for him.

"Rascal,"I looked over at Sammi, who seemed a little down."are you okay?"

"Yeah."I laughed."I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

She shrugged and went back to her ice cream. I shook my head with a smile and started up my car once more. I had enough things on my plate to worry about; worrying about a friendship would be pointless, especially if I had to think of new ways to help pay the bills.