Status: In the writing process as I juggle school :) Updates will not be as fast as over the summer.

Possibilities

Begin Again

JESS’S POV
When Aurora finally fell asleep, I went outside to call Stephen. The phone rang and rang, then soon enough Stephen answered.

“Whaaat?” he grumbled.
“Stephen! Wake up and listen close,” I nearly screamed.
“What the fuck, Jess?!” I can tell how alarmed Stephen was. “Why the hell are you calling me at 3:30 in the morning?”
“I’m letting you know now, you and I are going to talk about what happened tonight between you and Aurora,” I told him, still furious.
“Wait, what?” Stephen asked, confused.
“I’ll be over at you house tomorrow around 1, and you better have a good explanation,” Before he could answer, I hung up.

I sat down on my porch steps and sighed. I can’t believe Stephen’s doing this to one of our closest friends. He can’t just talk about one girl then kiss the girl he truly loves, even if it was just a kiss on the cheek. Seriously, Stephen needs to get his act together.

I went back inside the house, locked the door, and went back into my room where Aurora was sitting on my bed, holding a pillow against her chest.

“Everything okay?” I asked, sitting down beside her.
“What if he’s just playing me?” Aurora softly asked.
“He wouldn’t do that to yo-”
“But what if he is!” Aurora cut me off. I’ve never seen her get this upset over a guy.
“Come on,” I insisted. “You know Stephen, and you love him a lot. Give him a chance,”
There was a long pause.

“I don’t know if I want to give him a chance,” Aurora whispered.
“You know that you love him,” I told her. “You can’t stop what your heart feels, and we all know that your heart loves Stephen,”

She placed the pillow against her face and screamed into it. The sound was drowned out as she collapsed backwards to lie down. I looked at her as she mumbled something through her pillow.

“Take the pillow off your face and use your big girl words,” I told her.
“I said ‘Love is stupid and I’m beginning to hate it’,” She sat back up and stared intensely at the wall.

Teasingly, I waved a hand in front of her face. Aurora smiled and swatted it away and began laughing.

“Where were you anyways?” She asked me. “I woke up and saw you weren’t here,”
“I went to get some water,” I lied.
“Oh okay,” Aurora sighed. “I really can’t sleep, Jess!”
“Then let’s stay up,” I suggested. “It’s no big deal,” Aurora smiled at my answer and we watched a few movies, talked a little, then watched the sun rise.

I’ve known Aurora for so long and I swear that if anyone’s going to hurt, they have to go through me first.

***

After lunch, Aurora decided to leave to get ready for her movie marathon with Stephen. It was perfect timing since I told Stephen that’ll I’ll talk to him at 1. I gave Aurora a quick hug and watched her leave.

I went back inside and changed into a tank top and some shorts, then slipped on my Vans before going to my car. As I drove to John and Stephen’s house, I mentally prepared what I was going to say to him. Before I knew it, I was at their house. I walked up to the door and knocked. To my surprise, John opens the door and smiles.

“Jess,” he began. “You know you can just walk in, right?”
“Sorry, common courtesy,” I said. “Is Stephen here?”
“Yeah, he’s taking a shower,” John told me. “Come on in,”

John held the door wider and led me to their living room. I sat down on the couch and John took the chair.

“So,” I said awkwardly. “What’s new?”
“Nothing really,” he shrugged.
“How’s Sam? I miss her!” I told him. Sam is John’s girlfriend and we occasionally hang out whenever we can. (A/N: Yes, this is the same Sam from my John Gomez story. I thought it might fit due to this awkward situation. But she won’t pop up in the story unless it’s a die hard emergency and I can’t think of anything.)

“She’s great!” John smiled widely. “I have a date with her tonight,” I knew for a fact that he really likes her.
“You better bring her over since she’s one of my best friends now! Or else I’ll steal her from you,” I teased. We started laughing.
“Fine,” John sighed. “I know she misses you too,”

“Who misses who, now?” Stephen popped inside the living room and leaned against the wall.
“Sam misses me,” I answered. “Hey Stephen,”
“Hey,” he greeted. “What’d you want to talk to me about?”
“You and Aurora,” I said. “And what happened last night,”
“Would you like me to leave?” John asked cautiously.
“You could stay if you like,” I offered. “Unless Stephen thinks this is a private matter,”
Stephen shrugged. “There’s nothing to hide,”

I looked at them then gathered my thoughts before speaking. I took a deep breath then let out a sigh.

“Stephen, you’re really hurting her,” I told him. “Also getting her really confused,”
John looked at him and was automatically puzzled.
“What makes you say that?” Stephen asked.
“A couple of things do,” I admitted. “First you take her out to see Friends with Benefits, which is pretty ironic,”
“I don’t see how it is,” I saw a bit of shock in his eyes. I think I sorta blew his cover or something.
“You’re kidding, right?” John chimed in. “I mean you and Aurora are best friends, yet you guys go out together alone and hold hands and do all this lovey-dovey stuff that Sam and I do, except, you guys aren’t dating! Friends with benefits kind of material,”

I looked at John in surprise. I didn’t know he can be one to give advice and knock some sense into people like that.

“Then secondly,” I continued going back to Stephen, who also seemed surprise of John’s input. “You start talking about Harmony and Dean, in a pissed off mood if I may add, then just shrugged it off and shit!”
“I don’t see why Aurora would be mad about that!” Stephen protested. “I shrugged it off, it was done and over with,”
“You’re not supposed to bring up past girlfriends!” John explained. “Aurora probably felt as if you still cared about Harmony,”
“Exactly,” I said.

Stephen decides to sit down on a beanbag and dug his face into his hands.

“What else did I do wrong?” he asked.
“You gave her a kiss on the cheek,” I flatly answered.
“You did what?” John emphasized. “You can’t just kiss her, even if was on the cheek, after talking about Harmony!”
“I didn’t do right after!” Stephen said defensively. “I kissed her during the pictures we took in the photo booth!”
“Ten times worse, dude,” John stated. “She has it documented, but can’t nor won’t throw it away because you’re her best friend!”
“It was just a kiss on the cheek!” Stephen exclaimed. “Friends do that!”
“Not when one of them likes each other a little too much!” I pointed out. “Dammit Stephen, when will you get it?”

Suddenly, everything went quiet. John and I looked at Stephen, who seemed extremely confused.

“Come on, bro,” John said breaking the silence. “We all know you like Aurora, except her,”
“Yeah, and she’s starting to give up on you,” I added. “She’s starting to think that you guys should only be friends,”
“Wait, she likes me?” he asked.
“Wow, you’re slow,” John commented.
“She’s not going to wait around for you much longer, Stephen,” I said. “Knowing her, she’s going to try to move on unless you make a move fast,”
“I think I’ll tell her,” Stephen sighed. “Tonight,”

***
Meanwhile....

AURORA’S POV
I drove back home and noticed that there were some moving trucks at the house beside mine. I shrugged it off at first, then saw my mom bolt through the door with a basket of goodies and stuff. I decided to get out the car and help her.

“Hey Mom,” I greeted. “Need some help there?”
“Actually, yes!” She answered. “This is a welcoming basket for the new neighbors. Wanna join?”
“Sure,” I said. I don’t usually like meeting new people but hey, who knows who I’ll meet.

My mom and I walked next door and walked up the porch. I rang the doorbell, and soon enough a woman around my mom’s age answered.

“Hello,” my mom greeted. “I’m Melinda Harris and this is my daughter, Aurora. We’re the neighbors next door,”
“Nice to meet you,” the woman smiles. “I’m Regina Williams and my son Trent is upstairs bringing in some boxes,”
“Welcome to our town,” my mom continued. “Here’s a welcoming basket for you,”
“Why, thank you Melinda and Aurora,” Mrs. Williams commented. “Please come in,”

We followed her into the house that was filled with boxes and we were soon in the kitchen. My mom and I sat on the counter chairs as Mrs. Williams organized some stuff so we would be able to have more room.

“So what brings you here to our town?” my mom asks her.
“Well, Melinda,” Mrs. Williams answered. “My husband found a job here and fell absolutely in love with it, so we moved into this lovely neighborhood,”

Out of nowhere, a tall middle aged man came inside.
“Dear, where are the boxes for my-” he suddenly notices us and looks at Mrs. Williams. “Honey, who are these people?”
“Don’t be rude to our new <i> neighbors </i>,” Mrs. Williams commented. “Melinda, this is my husband George. George, this is Melinda Harris and her daughter Aurora,”
“Hello,” my mom greeted as she shook Mr. Williams’s hand. “It’s very nice to meet you,”
“It’s a pleasure to meet the both of you,” he smiles at us. “I’ll let you ladies continue while I look for my stuff,”

As Mr. Williams left, Mrs. Williams took a seat across us and started talking to mom.

“So Aurora,” she suddenly looks at me. I was not expecting her to talk to me.
“Yes Mrs. Williams?” I politely responded.
“Please, call me Regina,”
“Oh, okay uh, Regina,” This sounded extremely weird.
“Where do you go to school?” Regina asked me.
“I go to Saguaro High School,” I answered with a smile.
“Oh that’s where Trent will be attending! What year are you in?”
“I’m a Senior,” I replied. I wonder if...
“Trent is a Senior too! This is just great,” Regina seemed excited about this. “The two of them might have the same classes!”
“They can carpool too,” my mom added. “I can tell they’re going to be great friends,” I mentally rolled my eyes.

Then as if on cue, a boy with dark brown hair and emerald eyes came into view. I have to admit that he was extremely cute.

“Trent!” Regina called out. “Meet our new neighbors, Mrs. Harris and her daughter Aurora. She’s in the same grade as you and you’ll be attending the same high school too!”
“Please call me, Melinda,” my mom insisted as she shook James’s hand. “I have an idea! Why don’t you and Aurora go out and she’ll show you around town?”
“That sounds wonderful, Melinda!” Regina added.
“Mom!” I whispered. “I’m hanging out with Stephen tonight!”
“Come on, dear,” she said. “It’ll be fun and won’t take long,”
“I mean if Aurora would like to, then sure,” Trent said with an adorable crooked smile.

I looked at them and sighed. This will be the only way out of this tortuous conversation.

“Sure, I’d love to show you around,” I smiled.
“Great!” Trent replied. “Let’s go,” I can tell he wanted to get out too.
“We’ll be back,” I called out as we dashed out the door.

Trent and I started walking towards downtown where all the cool places were. There was a music shop, a video store, a concert hall, and more. I talked to him about the environment here, the people, my friends, and my relationship with Stephen. James gave me head nods here and there, but he decided to actually talk when we’re at the video store.

“So, is this Stephen guy your boyfriend?” Trent asked.
“Not really,” I sighed. “We’re just best friends,”
“Well from what you’ve been telling me, it sounds like there’s more,”
“Honestly, I’m really trying to get over him,” I admitted.
“Why’s that?” Trent was really interested in this conversation.
“It’s like he doesn’t know what we are,” I said even though it probably didn’t make sense. I continued my explanation. “He acts as if we’re best friends one minute, then acts as if we’re in this friends with benefits kind of thing, even though we haven’t done anything serious,”
“Sounds rough,” Trent commented.
“It is,” I sighed.
“Then why are you still hanging out with him if he gives you all these mixed signals?” Trent asked.
“I don’t know,” I shrugged. “He’s been my best friend since we were 5, and he’s gotten me through a lot. Plus the six of us are a package deal,”
“Six?” Trent raised his eyebrow.
“I hang out with Stephen and his band,” I casually told him as I paid for the movies.
“Anyone I heard of?”
“Heard of The Summer Set?” I asked.
“Yep,” he sighed. “My ex-girlfriend’s favorite band,”
“Oh,” I decided to drop the subject as we walked out the store.

Trent and I walked back to his house but it seemed a little awkward.

“But still,” Trent broke the ice again. “You should try to find someone that actually tells you straight that you’re beautiful, funny, sweet, and amazing,”
I blushed. “You really think so?”
“Knowing you for about an hour, yeah,” he shrugged. I smiled at him and he smiled back. This guy’s actually pretty nice. “So I was sorta wondering if you wanted to hang out tomorrow,”
“Like a date?” I asked.
“Sure?” he was hesitant but I found it adorable. “Unless you just want to go as friends and-”
“It’s a date,” I grinned as we continued to walk.
“Cool,” he smiled.

I checked my watch and realized we’ve been gone for a couple hours and Stephen was coming over soon.

“We should get going,” I said. “Stephen’s going to be at my house soon, so yeah,”
“Right,” Trent replied as if he did something wrong. “We should get you home,”

The rest of the walk was pretty quiet yet barely awkward. When we finally got to our houses Trent and I hugged goodbye.

I decided to call Jess as I went inside. I took out my phone and I dialed her number.

“Hello?” Jess answered.
“Jess!” I almost screamed. “I have big news,”
“What?”
“I think I’m finally getting over liking Stephen!” I said. “I think we can finally be just friends,”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry.
I'll update a lot this week, promise c:

New Character, and he'll be here for a while c;
Trent