‹ Prequel: Lumos: Year One
Sequel: Lumos: Year Three
Status: Active, with love!

Lumos: Year Two

Tonks

Although many beleived Potter was the Heir of Slytherin, Lanee did not. He was a Gryffindor and that was enough for her. The Heir must be a Slytherin, and she couldn't help her curoisty from taking over her. It could be anyone one of them, minus Helena. Most signs pointed towards Draco Malfoy, the only person who seemed to be amused by the message on the wall and then having no problem tossing out the word 'Mudblood'.

Lanee couldn't stand the topic of blood purity. Whether someone was pure, half, or muggle born, it didn't matter. The blood does not make the wizard. Look at Granger, for example, best in the year and she was Muggle born. Even Lanee was half-blood, with some unsual mixtures of blood and she wasn't a terrible witch. What was so great about being pureblood anyways? Most pureblood families married their cousins and even sometimes their siblings. Who would be proud of that?

She sat on her bed in the empty dormoritry as Putty lounged on her lap. The pixie still couldn't fly, but wasn't as weak as it was when he first arrived. He had grown quite close to Lanee, he was excited to see her when she returned from lessons and even sometimes slept at her feet at night. It was almost like having a dog.

After she had breakfast, Lanee met up with Helena to head off to the library before lessons started. Professor Binns had assigned a ridicously long essay, three feet to be exact, on the most boring subject, “The Medieval Assembly of European Wizards”, and neither of the girls were finished. Lanee finished first and began to play around. She grew her hair long and then shrunk it back up to entertain herself as Helena finished.

The classroom was stuffy and uncomfortable. For some reason, this was the only classroom that held kids from every house instead of the usual classes that only had two. Not to mention Binns couldn't even remember anyone's names. It probably didn't help that she changed her hair color every day. He had a habit of calling her Loretta Tink. She understood the similiarty between Tink and Tonks, but she couldn't understand where he got Loretta from. Binns even called her Nymphadora once, he still didn't know why she had laughed.

Wedging herself between Seamus and Helena, class stared. It was even more boring than usual. Binns had a monotone voice and spoke at the backwall instead of the students, making it even harder to pay attention. Mad with boredem, Lanee dipped her quill into her ink and began to connect the freckles on Seamus's arm.

"What are you doing?" He asked once he noticed. She giggled and turned back to Binns as Seamus attempted to wipe the semi-permanant ink off. Suddenly, Granger's hand flew up with insane urgency.

“Miss—er—?” Binns asked annoyed. It was amusing he didn't even know Granger's name, she answered almost ten questions a day and was probably the only one acing History of Magic.

“Granger, Professor. I was wondering if you could tell us anything about the Chamber of Secrets?" She shrunk in her seat. The kids that appeared to be asleep suddenly gave Binns their attention.

“My subject is History of Magic. I deal with facts, Miss Granger, not myths and legends.”He still seemed annoyed. Binns attempted to continue speaking but Granger was persistant as her hand shot back up.

"Miss Grant?" Lanee rolled her eyes, she just told him her name twenty seconds ago and he already had forgotten.

“Please, sir, don’t legends always have a basis in fact?” She asked. He told her that the legend about the Chamber was a ludicrous tale. He stopped mid-sentance when he realized everyone was paying attention. It was probably the first time since the first day that he actually had the attention of his students. Taking advantage of finally having the spotlight, he dove into the story.

“You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago—the precise date is uncertain—by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age. The four school Houses are named after them: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. They built this castle together, far from prying Muggle eyes, for it was an age when magic was feared by common people, and witches and wizards suffered much persecution.

“For a few years, the founders worked in harmony together, seeking out youngsters who showed signs of magic and bringing them to the castle to be educated. But then disagreements sprang up between them. A rift began to grow between Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed that magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. He disliked taking students of Muggle parentage, believing them to be untrustworthy. After a while, there was a serious argument on the subject between Slytherin and Gryffindor, and Slytherin left the school.

“Reliable historical sources tell us this much, but these honest facts have been obscured by the fanciful legend of the Chamber of Secrets. The story goes that Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in the castle, of which the other founders knew nothing.

“Slytherin, according to the legend, sealed the Chamber of Secrets so that none would be able to open it until his own true heir arrived at the school. The heir alone would be able to unseal the Chamber of Secrets, unleash the horror within, and use it to purge the school of all who were unworthy to study magic.”

Everyone was quiet for a few moments, taking in the new information. The part that caught Lanee's attention was the heir alone would be able to 'purge the school of all who were unworthy'. Who was considered worthy? Purebloods? In her opinon, it was a stupid idea. Purebloods were a minorty, most wizards and witches were half-blood. If you only taught a small amout how to control their magic, that'd leave the majorty of those able to use magic unable to control it. Who knows what would happen?

Granger asked what he meant by horror.

“That is believed to be some sort of monster, which the Heir of Slytherin alone can control,” As Binns said this, Lanee glanced at Helena with a concerned expression. Before anyone could proccess, Binns reminded everyone it was just a myth and wasn't true. Of course, he was the only one who thought that.

“But, sir,” Seamus interrupted, “if the Chamber can only be opened by Slytherin’s true heir, no one else would be able to find it, would they?” Lanee nudged Seamus with a smile. Smart boy.

“Seamus really knows how to stress out the classroom.” Helena murmured.

“Nonsense, O’Flaherty." Binns responded. Of course he called him O' something just because he's Irish. Pavarti added that'd you have to use dark magic, Dean mentioned that you'd have to be realted to Slytherin before Binns cleaned the room of any more talk about the Chamber. Lanee had to admit that all their arguments were quite valid for why no one had found the Chamber before.

“Seriously, I have to ask, why does she hang around you now?” Seamus asked Lanee as they walked with Dean and Helena after class ended. The two boys glared at Helena, her backing away with red cheeks.

“Chill out, she’s my friend now. We truced after our little fight.”

“You truced after a physical fight?” Seamus seemed so shocked, as if he hadn't known Lanee for the past two years and how unexpected and different she was.

“Well, yeah.” She laughed as they rounded a corner. Lanee overheard Helena talking to what she thought was Pansy Parkinson's Diease (the nickname she had come up for the creature). She didn't turn her head to check, until she heard Pansy mentioned something about husbands. She found herself reminded of Lavender Brown, who was even more obessed with Seamus than usual.

“Lanee. I want you to make Pansy cry.” Helena suddenly spat.

“That’s… random. How so?" Lanee already guessed what her friend meant, but wanted the approval before she kicked the pest's ass.

“Make her feel excruciating pain. Make her cry for her life.” She walked away, practically steaming with anger. Smiling, Lanee could already hear her mother scolding her for getting into another fight.

* * * *

"Hey Helena!" Lanee yelled the next morning at breakfast as she spotted the black-haired girl walking into the Great Hall. Lanee flung up from her seat, bearing a wild pink hair colour today, and trotted over to her friend. "Meet me in the second floor west corridor today at exactly four ten, okay?"

"Um, okay. Why?" Responded Helena as she sat down at the Slytherin table by her herd of siblings.

"Oh, you'll see." Lanee smiled.

Lessons went by slowly as she eyed the clock, waiting for Charms to end. Finally, class ended and kids rushed out of the room. Most were making their way to the second floor west corridor, the word had been spread that something was going to happen there. Lanee was amused when she saw Pansy Parkinson standing exactly where she was supposed to be, looking rather annoyed.

"What the bloody hell is all of this?" Pansy snapped, looking at the group of kids that had come with Lanee. "You said this was a private meeting. You said you information that could help me crush Helena!"

"Oh, did I say that?" As Lanee said this, it occured to her that Helena wasn't among the group of students. She bit her lip, she couldn't stall forever, she was good with words. "I meant I was going to crush you for Helena." And with that, Lanee jumped on her and the fight began.

She had to admit, Parkinson put up a decent fight. Although her punches were weak, she could resist Lanee pretty well and didn't cry very easily. Lanee loved a challenge. The group began to cheer, yelling out advice to Lanee, and to Pansy as Slytherins began to gather. Lanee had just ripped a fistful of hair from Pansy when she say Helena join the crowd.

At first, she was shocked, than began to smile evily as Pansy started losing. Once her nose was busted and the annoying girl was finally crying, Lanee pinned down her arms, and looked over at Helena for approval. Instead, she saw McGongall pushing through the now silent crowd.

"How did I know it would be you, Miss Tonks?" McGongall sighed. "Please get off of Miss Parkinson. Would someone please escort her to the nurse?" After Pansy had an escort and was shamefully walking away, McGongall turned to the crowd. "Well go on! Don't you have studying to do?" The crowd dispersed. Lanee stood up slowly and scooted away, attempting to follow Seamus and Dean. "Not you, Miss Tonks." Lanee winced at her name, nodded for her friends to go on, and turned around.

"Detention with me for the next two weeks, understand?"

"Yes, ma'am." Lanee looked at her toes. That was two fights this year, her mum wasn't gonna be happy about this.

"Wait! Proffesor!" Helena called out, running up to McGongall. "I told Lanee to do it."

"And why would you ask her to do such a thing?" McGonall asked shocked.

"I-I was mad at Pansy." She said quietly.

"This was very childish of both of you. Detention for you as well, Miss Villar. And ten points from both Gryffindor and Slytherin." McGongall turned and marched down the hall, leaving the two girls alone in the corridor.

"How'd I do?" Lanee smiled.

Helena smirked. "Perfect."