‹ Prequel: Lumos: Year One
Sequel: Lumos: Year Three
Status: Active, with love!

Lumos: Year Two

Tonks

Lanee was trying to focus on her potions book, searching for something to brew up secretly. Luckily, she had an extra cauldron hiding under her bed. It had come with her potions kit that she had recevied from Christmas last year. Although the cauldron was small, she could still brew small amouts of whatever potion she chose. Next to her, she had a notepad, ready to write down the ingredients she'd need to get once she picked something out.

The four other girls were in the room, sitting in a circle giggling. Lavender, Pavarti, Romilda, and Hermione were all playing Truth or Dare. Lanee had been offered to play, but she'd rather not reveal any secerets, espcially since they were using a Truth Ball that Pavarti had gotten for her birthday. During your turn, you'd hold the ball and be asked a question. If you were lying, the sphere would turn red and stick to your hand until you told the truth. Lanee had some rather dark secerts she'd rather not share.

"Okay, Lav, your turn." Pavarti giggled, handing the Truth Ball to her.

"Who's your crush?" Romilda asked eagirly.

"I think I've made it quite obvouis who I fancy! Seamus, of course." The girls laughed. Lanee had no idea why they were all laughing. Why was everything so hilarous? Did she just not get it a joke or something? She shook her head and layed her eyes upon a rather interesting potion. A Confusing Draught, perfect. She'd test it out on Lavender during class. The ingredients were simple, sneezewort, scurvy grass, and lovage, all simple plants she could find in the Forbidden Forest. She scribbled down the quanties she'd need and headed towards the door.

"Hey Lanee! Won't you please play for one question?" Pavarti asked. Lanee opened her mouth to protest, but before she had time, there was a flash of glass thrown at her. Reacting quickly, she lunged and grabbed the Truth Ball before it smashed on the ground.

"Who do you like?" Lavender laughed, proud that her trick worked. The sphere stuck to Lanee's hand like glue.

"What the bloody hell, Brown? I told you I didn't want to play!" She snapped.

Lavender only giggled. "You have to answer now! Who do you like?"

Lanee narrowered her eyes. "None of your bussiness." And to everyone's surprise, the simple toy fell of Lanee's hand as she exited the room. She felt quite triumphant as she walked up into the boys domortries, searching for her friends. Without knocking, she stepped into Dean and Seamus's room to find them talking to Neville.

"Well won't you come in?" Dean joked, turning around to look at her. "What's up, 'Nee?"

"Hey Neville." Smiled Lanee as she walked in and sat next to Seamus on his bed. Neville's cheeks turned scarlet and Seamus shot him a sharp glare, the blush quickly faded as he turned his head. "It was getting too girly in there for me. I've got some things I need to do. Mind if I steal Dean and Seamus?" Neville nodded nervousily as she looked out the window.

The trio exited the dormority and headed out of the common room, towards a way to exit the school.

"I'd say Nevillie's got a bit of a crush on you, 'Nee." Joked Dean as they walked through the silent corridors. She laughed and shrugged as Seamus added no comment.

"Are we going to the Forbidden Forest?" Seamus asked. Lanee nodded. "It's dark out, we don't know what's in there!"

"Would you chill out, Shay?" She laughed as they stepped outside into the cool crisp air. The wind chilled Lanee, but she ignored the air and headed down the hill. "You can wait over by the lake, but I need to go in to get some ingridents. Are you in, D?"

"Nah, I'll stay here and keep watch. Why don't you go with her, Seamus?" Dean answered. The little Irish boy shurgged and laughed nervousily before walking with Lanee towards the tall trees. Lanee stepped past the border between forest and school, feeling the sudden change in the air and sounds. Seamus stood stiff after his first step. He could feel the change, too.

"Okay, look for sneezewort, scurvy grass, and lovage." She told him. It didn't take them long to find the lovage and sneezewort, but finding the last ingredident was next to impossible. They had been in for some time and Seamus's courage was beggining to run out with each new noise they heard and rustle of the leaves. To calm him, Lanee held his hand and dragged him along.

"What are you brewing anyways?" He whispered as they trudged through the leaves.

"A Confusion Draught. I'm gonna slip some to Brown in her morning pumpkin juice one it's done. It'll be a real laugh in class seeing her trying to answer questions and having no idea what's going on, don't you think?" She leaned down and examined a few plants. She picked up a few of them even though they weren't scurvy grass, but things she could use later.

"Yes, it will be." Seamus glanced around. "Why do you not like Lavender? I mean, I know she's kinda annoying and all but..."

"She just won't leave me alone even though I've made it quite clear I'm not fond of her." Lanee answered simply. "I'm just trying to giver her the boot without getting into another fight. My mother is already mad enough as it is."

"You children shouldn't be in here." The voice startled Lanee, and she flew up and backwards directly into Seamus's arm. They both screamed in shock. A centaur majestically stepped out of the shadows, staring down at them. "Do you need help exiting the forest?" Although his voice wasn't mean, it didn't seem kind eitheir.

"N-no, sir, I know they way." Lanee shakily repsonded as the two kids bolted away, practically leaping back onto school grounds. They layed on the ground, out of breath and hearts still beating. Lanee glanced over at Seamus and began to laugh hysterically.

"Are you alright? I heard you guys scream!" Dean yelled as he jogged up and kneeled down next to them. After briefly explaining the story of the centaur who appeared out of no where, Lanee suddenly realized that she had forgotten to find any of the scurvy grass before she left. Who knows how long it would be before she had another chance to go into the forest?

They snuck back into the school, slowly making their way around trying not to get caught. For some reason, Lanee felt horrified of the dark for the first time in her life. Her mind was filled with the image of the message on the wall. What if it was true and there really was a monster running around the school searching for defensless children to petrify? No one knew whether Dean was muggle-born or not, would the monster know?

No, there's no monster, Lanee told herself. Someone just wanted to have some fun and scare everyone. And yet, she couldn't shake the feeling that they were being watched. She latched on to both her friends as they walked back. The Fat Lady wasn't happy to see them, asking why they were out so late. They simply told her she was pretty and she let them in withouth asking for the password.

"Oh, Lanee." Seamus said as Dean ran up the stairs. He dug into his pocket and pulled out a green lump. "It's the grass. I saw some as we were running and grabbed a handful." Lanee took it gratefully and examined, smiling as she comfirmed it was the correct plant. "I hope that's enough."

"It's perfect, Shay, thanks." She smiled before running upstairs. The girls were all sleeping by now, one of them snoring softly. "Lumos." Making her way to her bed, she found Putty curled up under the blankets as she placed the bag with plants in the cauldron under her bed. Putty scooted over as Lanee crawled under her bed, feeling so suddenly relaxed her hair turned into a soft blue. "Nox."

Her draught was ready by Monday, but Lanee deicided to save it for it a rainy day. She knew today was already going to get the treat of seeing Helena's jinx in Defense Agaisnt the Dark Arts, and looked forward to that as she headed to class. After Lockhart annouced that today's lesson was on flesh-eating billobeeds, Lanee was instanly bored and turned to Helena.

"What did you do to him?" She asked.

Helena evilly smiled. "You’ll see. My brother taught me this trick." Lanee asked if they would have seen it by now, thinking that maybe the jinx didn't work, Helena informed her that she'd have to activate it with her wand.

Class went on and everyone began to take out parchment, ready to begin the lesson. Lanee didn't noticed Helena pull out her wand and sheild it with a book, she was too busy doodling a cougar, her favorite animal. But she heard Helena whisper a barley audiable spell, and looked up. At first, nothing seemed to happen. Mid-sentance, Lockhart looked up with a terrfied expression as he sprung up from his post on the desk. Lanee burst out laughing along with the rest of the class once everyone realized his arse was on fire.

Granger flew up, looking as horrified as the burning man. Her wand was ready as she killed the fun with a simple charm. "Aguamenti!" Water drenched the proffeser, who was now well-embarassed, his face still red. Everyone was silent and just stared at Lockhart, he was pretty angry.

"Well… that was an unexpected prank… Mr. Finnigan, I will arrange a punishment for you with Professor McGonagall." Still unhappy, he dismissed the class.

Seamus's mouth hung open as he flew up. "Wait, that’s rubbish! I didn’t do it!"

“Only someone like you could have possibly done something so… blazing." Lanee shook her head at his stupid joke than turned to Helena to discuss her genuis. Something in Seamus's head clicked.

"You did it, didn’t you?!"

Lanee smiled as innocently as she could. “Oh, Shay, why would we do that?” Seamus shook his head, trying to fight back a smile as they two girls exited the classroom.

* * *

November flew by and December arrived with a thick coat of snow. Lanee's early December days consisted mainly of magical snowball fights with Seamus and Dean, who usually had to surrender before the game could even end. After a frozen fight, Lanee usually retreated to the Forbidden Forest, not venturing deep into the forest that was clear of snow. Not only was it relaxing, but she collected even more plants, hoping to brew up more potions.

The holidays were well on their way as Lanee and Helena headed to potions. Kids were slacking and teachers didn't seem to care, except Snape, of course. Despite the oncoming holidays, he was as stiff and strict as ever, not eve acknowladging the fresh snow. Today, they were making a Swelling Solution, which would be too easy for Lanee. Potions just came naturally to her, it was one of the few subjects she was good at.

Although most of everyone was doing a good job, Snape still seemed to find something bad about everyone's potion. Even Helena, Hermione's, and Lanee's, whose potions were nearly perfect. He snapped at Lanee for leaving the vials opening, and scolded Hermione for holding her spoon incorrectly. Someone's pissed off today! She thought to herself.

A sudden explosion shook the room, and Lanee found her face drenched with Goyle's failed mixture. Helena's arm began to inflate, along with Seamus's and Draco's faces. Lucikly, being a metamorphagus, she mangaed to keep her face to it's normall size. Out of the students that were hit, Lanee was the only one laughing. She allowed small portions of her skin to swell before pulling them back down.

"Look guys! I'M BUBBLING." She laughed loudly. Snape called for the affected to come up and get the antidote.

After receiving her potion, she turned to Dean and Seamus, a little disspointed that the fun was over. "Well, I suppose I couldn't bubble forever."
♠ ♠ ♠
The Truth Ball was not an idea of my own, I read it somewhere else but I cannot remember where.