‹ Prequel: Lumos: Year One
Sequel: Lumos: Year Three
Status: Active, with love!

Lumos: Year Two

Villar

It had been a week since the incident in potions and still, the culprit had not been caught. Things seemed to finally calm down within Hogwarts once more, as if no one was even petrified in the first place. In a way, this bothered Helena since it made everyone look like they didn’t care. Still, she would rather not remember the coldness in Colin’s eyes when she had found him.

Helena was walking with Lanee, Seamus, and Dean down the hall when they had heard from someone that there was some interesting news on the notice board. When they had arrived to it, Seamus immediately lit up as he turned to Dean, enthusiastically flailing his hands.

“They’re starting a Dueling Club!” Seamus smiled. “First meeting tonight! I wouldn’t mind dueling lessons; they might come in handy one of these days…”

“What, you reckon Slytherin’s monster can duel?” Ron popped up from behind them. Helena laughed at his comment, but as quickly as Ron had come with Harry and Hermione, they left.

At eight o’clock, Dueling Club had started and of course Helena wasn’t going to miss something as interesting as that. She told Lanee that she would meet them there after she finished some homework in her common room. When she had arrived to the Great Hall, there were no longer any dining tables, but a long, golden adorned platform with what seemed to be an endless amount of candles lit above it.

Helena found Lanee, Seamus, and Dean outside of the crowds of people that were surrounding the stage. She greeted her excitedly and waved to Seamus and Dean who seemed to have no interest in becoming friends. She knew that they probably disliked her since she was a Slytherin. Of course, it bothered her, but she tried not to let it get to her too much. They were Lanee’s friends, and she wasn’t going to ask her to nag them to talk to her or to leave.

Lanee lead the way toward the stage and—being her aggressive self—she shoved many of the students out of the way so that they could stand in front to watch closer up. Helena didn’t seem to mind, but the students around them had some frustration in their expressions.

When the crowds started to quiet down as the lights dimmed, Gilderoy Lockhart strutted onto the stage followed by Professor Snape. When he had found himself in the center, he stood for a moment in silence, posing in a stately manner.

“Gather round, gather round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent!” he watched the many students in the audience. “Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start a little dueling club, to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions—for full details, see my published works.

“Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape. He tells me he knows a tiny little bit about dueling himself and sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin.”

Helena was already discouraged. Professor Lockhart stood no chance against Professor Snape. She turned to Lanee as he continued to talk, disregarding everything he was saying.

“I’ll bet you five galleons that Lockhart doesn’t even last long enough to cast a spell,” she murmured.

“I’ll take that bet!” Seamus smiled, digging into his pockets.

“Not a good idea, Shay…” Lanee laughed, “You know how Lockhart is.”

“I’d take any bet to see if Snape would take the fall first!” Seamus smiled.

“As you can see, we are holding our wands in the accepted combative position. On the count of three, we will cast our first spells. Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course.”

“I would if I was against him,” Helena sniggered.

“One—two—three—“

Expelliarmus!” Snape bellowed as a glittering crimson light emitted from the end of his wand, knocking Lockhart off his feet.

Helena started to cheer, as well as many other Slytherins and few Gryffindors. Meanwhile, Seamus gloomily handed her five galleons in bitter melancholy. Lanee gave him an “I-told-you-so” expression as they both turned to see what would happen next.

“Enough demonstrating! I’m going to come amongst you now and put you uall into pairs. Professor Snape, if you’d like to help me—“

They both moved through everyone as they walked around the platform to observe who was raising their hands. They both seemed to ignore those who truly wished to attempt it, picking those who wished to stay to the side. Neville Longbottom and Justin Finch-Fletchly were pulled up by Lockhart as Snape then pulled up Ron Weasley and Harry Potter.

“Time to split up the dream team, I think,” Snape curled his lip, “Weasley, you can partner Finnigan—“ Snape then pulled Seamus up, who seemed to be confused. He then looked to Harry.

“Mr. Malfoy, come over here. Let’s see what you make of the famous Potter. And you, miss Granger—you can partner Miss Bulstrode.”

Draco and Millicent swaggered over to Snape triumphantly as Lockhart looked over to reach for one last group. He wasn’t sure who he would pick, but he was looking over in the direction of Lanee and Helena, who both ducked down to avoid being picked.

“Ah, yes!” he smiled when he saw the two of them. He reached over and pulled on Lanee’s arm, pulling her forth as she looked back at Helena who started laughing at her.

“Oh no—you’re coming with me!” Lanee shook her head as she pulled on Helena’s cloak, making her land facedown onto the stage.

“Okay… you two can partner up,” Lockhart smiled anxiously at the crowd. Seamus looked to Lanee in desperation when he saw that Ron’s wand was broken.

“Just use a blocking spell!” Lanee laughed at him.

“Like what? I don’t know me any!” Seamus shook his head.

“Try protego,” Lanee showed him the wrist action. Seamus mimicked it as he turned when Lockhart spoke once more.

“Face your partners! And bow!”

Lanee and Helena bowed as if they were 19th century aristocrats. They tried not to laugh as they then pulled out there wands.

“Wands at the ready! When I count to three, cast your charms to disarm your opponents—one... two… three—“

Draco, who cheated by starting early disrupted the atmosphere, but Helena and Lanee waited in suspence.

Flipendo!” Helena waved her wand as Lanee immediately moved forward.

Protego!” she yelled as the jinx was shot back at Helena, hitting her and making her feet slide back slightly. She felt the wind knock out of her, but she quickly regained it as she looked around.

“Stop! Stop!” Lockhart yelled and both Lanee and Helena watched what was going on. Draco and Harry were both still facing each other while Neville and Justin were lying on the floor. Ron was trying to rub soot and ash from his face while his front ends of his hair were singed. Seamus was continuously apologizing to him while Millicent and Hermione were tackling each other.

“Dear, dear,” Lockhart sighed as he looked around the room.

“Hey, let’s ‘accidentally’ hit Lockhart,” Lanee smirked.

“Okay, how?” Helena smiled.

Cast a spell at me and I’ll use my shielding charm to make it rebound into his ass. Think of a good spell!” Lanee backed away slowly.

Helena thought quickly of all the spells she knew of. When she finally had it locked in her head, she stood in position, waving her wand.

Alarte Ascendare!” she yelled as a jet of white light flew toward Lanee.

Protego!” Lanee yelled as the spell was then casted toward Lockhart. It hit him right in the arse as he flew up into the air, wailing like a child, falling onto his back. Lanee and Helena laughed wildly as they ran back to stand in the audience.

After Lockhart had lost the redness in his cheeks, he had asked for everyone except for Harry and Draco to go back into the crowd. Draco and Harry were going to duel once more.

“Scared?” Helena heard Draco sneer.

“You wish,” Harry spoke lowly.

She watched the two of them eagerly as Lockhart counted to three.

Serpensortia!” Draco screeched as a serpent appeared in front of him.

It was large, long, and green in color as it slithered toward the audience. Helena’s eyes widened as she took a step back. She did not like reptiles. When it started to hiss at Justin, Lockhart walked up.

“Allow me!” he moved forward, mimicking the spell that Helena used on him when he flew into the air. This did nothing but made the snake even angrier.

Feeling uneasy about the snake coming closer, something happened that she had not expected. Harry Potter was inching toward it, hissing in a low, ominous voice. Helena felt her insides tingle as he spoke. Her legs were weakening. Whether it was out of fear or something reacting inside of her for no reason, she felt nauseous. She suddenly leaned forward as she rendered unconscious, landing on Lanee’s back.

Helena had awoken in the hospital wing with cards all around her. She could see that Lanee was sitting near by, reading a book she must have brought from home.

“Lanee… what happened?” she asked as her voice cracked.

“You passed out when Harry started whispering to that snake.”

“He was talking to it—“ Helena suddenly remembered, “He was speaking in parseltongue!”

“Could you understand him?”

“No… it used to run in my family hundreds of years ago, but it died out once our last ancestor related to Salazar Slytherin had died with no children. His blood doesn’t run in ours anymore.”

“I see… what do you think this means?”

“I think this means that Harry is hiding something that we don’t know,” Helena shook her head, “Something suspicious.”

The next morning, Herbology had been cancelled. Helena sat in the common room watching the few Slytherins who had a free period pace around. She was looking at some pictures in a scrapbook she had made the year before. They were all pictures of her siblings, parents, friends, and teachers.

There was one picture of her and Draco when they had won a racing contest for flying class. Draco was looking especially proud. Helena watched with a slight smile. As much as a git that Draco was, she couldn’t deny that he was a good friend to her while it lasted.

Term ended in silence as many students went back to their families at home. Helena and her siblings were one of the few who stayed behind. Thankfully, most of the Slytherins had gone back home. Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle were the only others in her House to stay behind as well. This had made her very suspicious. She couldn’t help, but notice that Harry Potter was doing so as well. She found that to be especially peculiar since there were now theories that he was really the heir.

Helena sat in her dormitory, looking out the window every so often to stare at the snowy rooftops. Her phoenix flower was resting on the windowpane as it stood tall with vibrant, orange petals peeking from the ashes beneath its stem.

Her cat, Lucy, who was midnight black and full of hair was laying in her lap, purring loudly as Helena scratched the back of her ears.

Today, she was wearing a dark red cardigan with black, tight jeans, and a pair of old sneakers. Her long, black hair was pulled back and French braided with a large, lacy red ribbon.

“Helena! Come here!” she heard Artemis yell from outside the dorm.

She hurried down to see that he was sitting by the fireplace. She walked to him, curiosity written on her face as she gazed into his direction.

“Want me to teach you some proper Quidditch?” he asked with a playful smile on his face.

Helena grinned widely as she nodded with excitement.

Artemis had gotten permission from Madam Hooch to use the Quidditch arena for a short amount of time to teach Helena some basics since she was to be trying out the next year. When they had gotten there, he made sure that everything was set. He got his broom and Quaffle. Since she only was interested in being a Keeper, he was only going to throw it at her.

Helena zoomed through the air as she stopped in front of the goal. She waited for Artemis to attempt a throw at her. She smirked at him, laughing slightly.

“I don’t want you to go easy on me at all. Give me your hardest!”

“Don’t worry, I will,” Artemis winked as he threw his first ball. It came at her fast and she knew that this would be difficult. She threw her first reaction to the Quaffle that flew at her and swatted it out of the way quickly. With the second one, she missed, but the third one she kicked away. This went on for several hours, and Helena had a decent amount of blocked Quaffles.

“We definitely you on our team,” Artemis smiled.

“I think about it,” she sniggered, “I’m sure it’s a lot harder than this in the real game.”

“Helena—Artemis! Could you come here please?” Madam Hooch appeared in the entrance of the arena.

They both walked up to her in silence to see what she had wanted.

“Professor McGonagall would like to see you two in the main hallway,” she nodded as she turned away.

“Understood,” Artemis nodded as he grabbed Helena’s arm, running quickly. When they had gotten to the main hallway, there were all five trunks of hers, Artemis’s, and her siblings sitting there with their pets sitting about them. Professor McGonagall was standing there waiting.

“Your father is here to take all of you home for the rest of your break, my dears,” McGonagall nodded. “Something has come up that he wishes for you to be home for…”

Alabaster stood in the doorway with his hair pulled back and his beard was poorly shaved. He had a disheveled look about him and his face was very pale with his eyes tired and sunken in. He was wearing a long trench coat while his house elf followed behind him. Helena could see that his expression was very distressed.

“Father, why have you returned home so soon? I thought you and mother were in France to visit Emilia and Dominique…” Artemis watched his eyes.

Emilia and Dominique were the parents of 5th year Beauxbaton student, Vera Brodeur. Artemis and she were arranged to be married, though he didn’t seem to mind to much. He had fallen in love with her the first moment he had seen her, and the same was for her.

“Something has come up. I’ll explain once we leave. Victoria, Jude, and Annabel are already outside,” Alabaster waved his wand as the trunks and pets had all disappeared. “Follow me.”

Helena began to feel nervous. She hadn’t seen her father like this since her grandmother passed away. When they all had met with the other siblings, they started to walk to a nearby village, Hogsmeade.

“Daddy, what’s going on?” Annabel frowned.

“Everybody, pleas listen closely and do as I say when we arrive…” her father pressed his lips together for a moment. “Your mother has gotten very ill… we don’t know how much time she has left—“

“Mum’s dying!?” Helena gasped.

“We don’t know what’s wrong with her. Our manor is currently being inspected for any possibilities for what has harmed her. Until then, we’re staying at the cottage.”

There was a long silence among the family as they made their way to the center of the village. He looked to everyone before nodding.

“Everyone hold onto some part of me.”

Helena grabbed his hand as the others reached for any part of him. Jude hid onto his arm while Artemis, his shoulder. Annabel was clinging to his leg as Victoria held his other hand. He waited for a moment before quickly Apparating. Helena felt her stomach whirl as they suddenly appeared in the main room of the cottage.

She stopped herself from puking as she looked around, seeing various blankets and pillows along the floor, as well as knapsacks full of clothing. Each of their trunks were set up near the piles of blankets.

“All of you will stay here. Veronica and Avery are staying in the extra bedroom while I stay with your mother and take care of her,” Alabaster looked around.

“Daddy, can I stay with them?” Annabel asked.

“I’m sorry sweetie, but in case they caught what your mother has, I don’t want them spreading it to either of you,” he spoke quickly before striding up the stairs, leaving the siblings to fix their living spaces quietly.

There was nothing for Helena to say as she sat on her trunk, watching the others for a moment. She sighed in despair as she looked to the snowy lake outside the main window.

What’s going to happen now? she wondered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun dun dun!