‹ Prequel: Lumos: Year One
Sequel: Lumos: Year Three
Status: Active, with love!

Lumos: Year Two

Villar

Helena woke up in the morning, seeing that Pansy and the three other girls had already left for breakfast. She knew now that what happened the night before was real. She got herself into her Slytherin robes and headed down to the Hall to eat breakfast in solitude. She could see Pansy, Millicent, and Daphne all sitting together as they laughed and whispered together. Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle were sitting on the other side of the table. She eagerly walked over to them, hoping they’d accept her.

“Do you mind if I sit here? Pansy has lost her mind,” Helena sighed.

“Has she?” Draco raised his eyebrows, “How funny. Seems like she had lost her mind long ago, but I’ll take your word for it. Sit down.”

Helena sat, relieved that Pansy hadn’t gone to him yet. She could see Pansy watch her like a hawk when she sat down, her cheeks going red as she crossed her arms—something that was usual of Pansy when she was angry.

“What has she done this time?” Draco asked, biting into his omelet.

“She’s taken over my dorm. She wants to control all of us. She managed to take hold of the other girls. What she doesn’t understand is that she’s not the only leader in that dormitory,” Helena smirked.

“Oh? Sounds like she’s pretty upset with you, too. I overheard her complaining about how you think you can harm her,” he sounded amused, “Girls are so over dramatic.”

“Tell me about it,” Helena nodded, “I’m sad to admit that I can be pretty angry when someone pushes my buttons enough.”

“I’ll tell you one thing; she won’t leave me alone—and it’s only the second day here!” he groaned, “She walked me here, sat with us, and I was finally able to get the message across for her to come off it.”

Helena felt something within her chest burn suddenly. Her throat closed up and her lips tightened. Her eyes narrowed with rage as she stared at the oblivious Pansy who was laughing among her new posse.

“She’s so annoying. At least you have manners,” Draco rolled his eyes

Helena tilted her head, not sure what he had meant by that. She decided not to question it though. She stayed silent after that, eating some of her porridge in front of her. Mail started to arrive and she eagerly awaited for Jude’s owl to send her something. A small letter from her mother, asking how her first day was arrived. She smiled lightly as she looked to Draco.

“Have you gotten any—“

”RONALD WEASLEY!”

Draco and Helena both dropped their silverware as they turned to the Gryffindor table where Ron sunk in his seat looking horrified as a howler bellowed at him. The words came so fast that Helena was barely able to process them.

”—STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN’T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET HOLD OF YOU, I DON’T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW IT WAS GONE—“

Draco looked back at Helena, trying his hardest not to burst out laughing so he could continue listening to the rest of the letter. Helena’s face went red from the lack of oxygen as she held her laugh in.

”—ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED—YOUR FATHER’S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT’S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE’LL SEND YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME.”

As the silence began and the letter burst into flames, both Draco and she burst into laughter as their faces fell to the table, nearly missing their bowls of porridge. After several more conversations, Helena then got herself up to head to her first class. For her, it was Herbology with a split class of Slytherins and Gryffindors.

Draco and she started to walk there together as Pansy and her group followed far behind, seething in anger that Helena was not bothered by the shunning. Draco ignored then, but Helena was starting to get annoyed, almost jealous. When they had finally arrived to class, Harry Potter passed by them. Draco scowled as he shook his head.

“I could have guessed his fame would get him out of being expelled. Potter’s nothing more than a freeloader!” he clenched his teeth.

Lanee passed by with Seamus as Helena held her tongue. She sighed, trying not to say anything stupid. They all headed onto the grounds.

“Oh, hello there!” his eyes twinkled at his new pupils. “Just been showing Professor Sprout the right way to doctor a Whomping Willow! But I don’t want you running away with the idea that I’m better at Herbology than she is! I just happen to have met several of these exotic plants on my travels…”

“Greenhouse three today, chaps!” Professor Sprout nodded as she began walking away, looking displeased.

Helena blocked out the entire conversation that followed this. Gilderoy was lecturing—praising Harry about his trip to Hogwarts in a flying car. Afterward, he finally left and they had their first lessons—handling baby mandrakes. Soon after, they had lunch and then it was off to Defense Against the Dark Arts.

When they finally arrived, Draco sat down with Crabbe and Goyle and Helena sat down near then, behind. Their new professor, Gilderoy picked up Neville’s copy of Travels with Trolls that had the professor’s face on it.

“Me, Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defense League, and five-time winner of the Witch Weekly’s Most-Charming-Smile Award—but I don’t talk about that. I didn’t get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her!”

Helena knew that it was obviously supposed to be a joke, but no one seemed to find it funny. She awkwardly smiled as she waited for him to speak once more.

“I see you’ve all brought a complete set of my books—well done. I thought we’d start today with a little quiz. Nothing to worry about—just to check how well you’ve read them, how much you’ve taken in—“

Draco turned back to Helena with an astonish expression. Helena shrugged as she shook her head. Did he really expect them all to read every detail of the books?

When the papers were passed out, she heard him yell, “You have thirty minutes—start—now!”

She started to look through the questions and her eyes widened to see what they were about. She couldn’t believe how cocky this guy could be.

1. What is Gilderoy Lockhart’s favorite color?
2. What is Gilderoy Lockhart’s secret ambition?


She couldn’t read anymore. Instead of actually trying to answer the questions (which she knew none of), she decided to have a little fun with her new professor by writing him a little note.

You are the most conceited, babbling idiot I’ve ever seen in my life. I didn’t respect you as a celebrity, and I refuse to respect you as my teacher.

She decided not to write her name on it; she knew that if her father found out, he’d have her head.

She waited for the rest of the class to finish within that half an hour before turning hers in, to make it look like she did it. She yawned as she then walked back to her seat, seeing that all of her class had finished. Lockhart began going over the answers in a very modest way, but it only made Helena roll her eyes. When he went over her paper, he seemed to pause and skip over it with flushed cheeks.

Soon after, he walked over to his desk, which had a box covered by a sheet.

“Now—be warned! It is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizardkind!” Gilderoy smirked, “You may find yourselves facing your worst fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here. All I ask is to remain calm.”

Helena smiled lightly as she sat up more, excited to see what he would be putting them against.

“I must ask you not to scream. It might provoke them,” Gilderoy them ripped the cover from the metal cage where many blue creatures swam around, screeching.

“What…?” Helena looked displeased.

“Yes,” he triumphantly posed, “Freshly caught Cornish pixies.”

Helena then heard Seamus snort loudly as she started to laugh. Lockhard looked over at him with a fake smile.

“Yes?” he tilted his head.

“Well, they’re not—they’re not very—dangerous, are they?” Seamus tried to stop laughing.

“Don’t be so sure!” Lockhart shook his hand, “Devilish tricky little blighters they can be!”

Everyone stayed silent, not seeming very assured.

“Right then,” Lockhart shouted, “Let’s see what you make of them!” and he unlocked the cage, setting them free.

Everything happened in an instant as pixies started to fly everywhere, creating a wave of blue within the room. Students began scattering for shelter as Draco and Helena both hawled themselves under their desks. One pixie started to pull on her hair as she kicked it into the desk over, initially knocking it out.

Soon the bell rang and Helena ran for the door, not letting any pixies escape behind her as she tried to fix her hair. Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle followed behind her as they started to groan.

“What rubbish was that!?” Draco screeched.

“He’s even more dimwitted than I thought,” Helena shook her head.

“Well he already struck me as a fool,” Draco shook his head, “I swear, the lot of these people are mad!—and look who’s here to stalk us…”

Helena turned to see Pansy staring at them with a heartless stare.

“You have something to say, Parkinson?” Helena snarled.

Pansy started to walk toward them, “Oh nothing really… other than that I thought it would be nice for Draco to know how thrilled you were to find out you two will be a happy little couple growing up.”

Helena’s eyes widened as her face went red. Draco’s face went blank as he turned to Helena. Crabbe and Goyle started to giggle.

“You told her?” he narrowed his eyes.

“I did, but I wasn’t acting like that—“

“So you like me or something?” he backed away.

“No, no—not like that!” Helena went pink.

“Oh, don’t lie, Helena. Millicent and I know all about your secret love for Draco,” Pansy giggled as she walked away.

“We’ll leave you two love birds alone,” Crabbe snorted as he and Goyle walked away with her.

Draco leaned against the wall as Helena stood across from him in silence. She felt so embarrassed, unable to say anything or look at him.

“I don’t know what to say to you. I feel sick to my stomach. You’re gross and destined to be a blood traitor. I’d never marry you!” he shouted at her.

Helena took a quick step back as he raised his voice. Tears slid down her face as she turned and walked off, trying to stifle her heavy breathing. Draco looked back as she ran off, having a bit of a sympathetic expression, but shook it off immediately as he walked away.

Helena found herself wandering back to the main stairwell with tears running down her cheeks. She noticed Lanee walk by with Seamus in silence, both acting as though they were not trying to stare, but it was obvious. When they passed, she noticed as Artemis had walked by afterward.

“Helena? Are you okay?” he noticed her right away, speaking softly.

“Pansy Parkinson is turning everyone against me—“ she shook her head, “I have no friends anymore.”

Artemis shook his head, “I knew she looked like bad news… you’ll make new friends, I’m sure. For now, just sit with Jude and I.”

“Really? You won’t be annoyed or embarrassed.”

“What kind of big brother would I be if wasn’t there for you?” he smiled.

“Thanks,” she spoke quietly.

“And to be honest, you don’t belong with those stuck up, little bitches. All Slytherin girls are like that. Talk to a Ravenclaw or a Hufflepuff. Even a Gryffindor. You know, my best friend is in Ravenclaw.”

“That’s true… I think that’s why you and Jude are so unlike father. You guys don’t care about pureblood tradition. You just pretend to,” she laughed slightly.

Artemis winked as he pat her head, walking away quickly. He decided it was best to let her find her new friends. She got herself up as she looked around the hall for students in her age. She immediately noticed Michael Corner, a second year Ravenclaw.

You know, my best friend is in Ravenclaw…

Helena wiped her ears as she walked up to the idle boy, smiling lightly, “Hello, how are you?”

“Um… I’m fine, thanks—how about you? Your eyes are red,” he pointed out.

“Just some Slytherin girls. They’ve pretty much turned everyone in my house against me,” she shrugged, sighing, “I guess I’m just trying to make new friends.”

“Cool stuff,” Michael nodded, “What’s your name? I’m Michael.”

“Helena,” she smiled awkwardly.

“Wait, Helena Villar? That bratty girl who got in a fight with that Lanee kid? You’re psychotic!” Michael backed away.

“No! I’m not like that anymore, I swear—“

“Look, I’m touched that you’re trying to change, but once a Slytherin snoot, always a Slytherin snoot,” he sheepishly laughed as he avoided her gaze quickly, walking passed her.

Helena stood, stunned at what had just happened as she watched her potential friend grow farther away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor Helena. She's just trying to make new friends.