‹ Prequel: Lumos: Year One
Sequel: Lumos: Year Three
Status: Active, with love!

Lumos: Year Two

Tonks

"What's in my shoe box?" Lanee was startled awake by Lavender Brown's high pitced voice. Her eyelids flew open, the emerald green meeting the smooth brown. She screamed, startled by the closeness of her dormmate. Lavender flew backwards, also startled, but by Lanee's scream.

"What?" Hissed the red-haired girl, rather angry that she was awoken earlier than usual. She scanned the room, noting that her and Lavender were the only two in the dorm. The sun peaked over the moutains and was shining into the room, signaling that it was early morning.

"My shoe box under your bed?" Brown responded.

"Why were you under my bed?" Lanee snarled, flying up and looking under her bed to see the shoe box where she left it. She turned back to Lavender, who looked rather frightened.

"It was whimpering and shaking!" Her curls were wild, not as much as a certain other second years, but still a noteable feature.

"Forget it. Don't mention it to anyone." Lanee snaped, standing up and pulling her robe on.

"Why shouldn't I?" Lavender was definitely a Gryffindor, it took some daring nerve to say that to someone as irritable as Lanee. She pondered her response, threating her probably wouldn't work, she'd still tell. What could she bargin? What did Lanee have that Lavender might want? Not clothes or other material items, their difference in style was obvouis. But there was one thing...

"Because then I won't put in a good word with Seamus." She sighed, it was the last thing she wanted to say, but it was the only thing. It was obvouis, though, it was the right thing to say, because Lavender began to squeal and hop up and down. Lanee rolled her eyes, what twelve year old got that excited over something as simple as that? Lavender grabbed her hairbrush, staring into the mirror as she eagerly yanked it through the curls.

"I'll see you at breakfast, Lanee! Thanks! Oh my gosh, what do you think he'll say? Do you think he likes me? Do you think-" The door slammed as Lanee left.

* * * * * * * * *

"Uh....Seamus.." Lanee began. She awkwardly pushed her food around, dreading what she was about to do. "Uh, you know Brown? Lavender Brown?" The Irish boy gave her a confused look before glancing over to Lavender, who was practically bouncing in her seat as she stared over at the three friends.

"The one staring at us?" Laughed Seamus. "Yeah, I know her. What about her?" He took a bite of toast.

"She's, uh, pretty right?" The sounds of Seamus choking filled the hall, several people glancing over as Dean hit his friend hard on the back. Leaning over the table, he spit out a small peice and glanced back up at Lanee, who was sitting uncomfortably.

"Huh?" He coughed. She nervousily glanced back over to Lavender, who didn't seemed phased by Seamus's choking and still looked eager.

"Oh bloody hell." Lanee shook her head. "She likes you, and I told her I'd put in a good word."

"Really?" Seamus laughed, continuing to eat.

"Uh...yeah. Do you liked her, too?" Seamus only responded with another laugh.

"No. She's too...girly." He glacned at his watch. "Oh, geez, we're gonna be late, c'mon."

They ran to potions class, making it just in time. The three were quite shocked when they saw Helena Villar taking the fourth seat at their table, next to Lanee, her worst enemy. But they didn't have time to say anything, Snape began to welcome everyone to class, adding an insult about how he was surprised anyone passed. If anything, Lanee was just surprised Seamus passed with all the times he caused explosions during indepedant brewing.

“You will turn to page 422 and begin making the Wideye/Awakening potion with your partners sitting at your desk,” Snape sat down closing his eyes, “Seven minutes. Begin.” Opening their text books, they read the ingridents needed. She was dreading this class, knowing that her and Helena were not going to work well together. Eitheir it would end in violence or only more hatred.

“Right then… I’ll just go get the ingredients,” Helena spoke before backing away to the cupboards.

"Why is she sitting there!?" Lanee whispered sharply.

"I don't know! Don't ask us!" Dean was concerned, this was not going to end well.

“Well, we better start,” Said Helena with a slight laugh as she returned, setting down ingredidents. What was she laughing about? Lanee couldn't see what was funny about this situation.

“Um… what are you doing?” Raising his eyebrows, Seamus eyed the items she had set down.

“Trying to get good marks,” Helena crossed her arms, “I’m not pleased with the partner thing either, but no one gives a dragon’s arse what we think.”

“Fine, let’s work.” Dean said sternly, trying to avoid conflict. Lanee began to light the cauldron, watching Helena closely. She knew deep down Villar was smarter than her, but Potions was the only class Lanee was better at. And although she knew Helena wasn't terrible, she still felt she was gonna mess something up to get at her.

“What are you doing? You’re going to crush them too much!” Lanee snapped as the black-haired girl crushed the fangs rather vioently.

“It says finely crush, Lanee. It’s fine. You’re just paranoid I’m going to screw up because of your detest for me,” Her eyes didn't break from her work. What she said might have been true, but that thought didn't cross her mind.

“That’s way too much, they’re crushed enough!” Without thinking, she grabbed Helena's small wrists, restraining her from crushing them anymore. If she crushed them anymore, they would liquidfy.

“Don’t touch me,” Helena growled, “I’m doing everything correctly. If you could get that through your thick head—“

“The potion is going to be ruined." She tightened her grip as Villar tried to resist. Pushing Lanee away, Helena eyed her sharply.

“Stay away from me.” Her anger got the best of her as Lanee grabbed the thick black locks.

“Make me.” Growled Lanee. Next thing she knew, they were on the ground, clawing and punching away at each other. Snape shouted something as he pryed them apart, holding them up by their robes.

“Maybe you two can learn to settle your issues in detention by writing a full scroll essay on why cooperation in potions is a necessity. Fine ink, due tomorrow when you walk in. Go to the library and begin. now.” Hitting the floor, Lanee made her to the table and scooped up her things. Shooting a wink at her alarmed friends, Helena and she left the room after Snape mentioned something about her parents. Whatever.

“Wonderful, you just had to keep going." Villar broke the silence Lanee was trying her hardest to keep as they walked.

“Oh shut up. I’m sure if you decided to sit next to your snobby friends, none of this would have happened.” Lanee snarled.

“Snape assigned me to sit there after I requested to move. I’m no longer friends with those backstabbers.”

“Oh, so that’s the reason you were crying.” Realization dawned on her, as the flaming red locks were put out.

“Have your entire House turn against you, and you’ll be upset too.” The Slytherin responded, quickeing up her pace. Lanee couldn't help but feel bad for Helena. If anyone was to know how much being an outcast hurt and affected you, Lanee would know. Even though she disliked this girl so much, she couldn't bring herself to insult her.

“I’m sorry that happened to you, really.” Lanee said softly after a breif silence.

“Thanks, I guess…”Hanging her head low, her voice was less sharp.

“Parkinson will get what’s coming for her,” Lanee smirked, “Karma, you know?”

“I guess. I hope so. She deserves it.” A sigh echoed the empty corridor.

“Why did your House turn against you?” Lanee asked curiously.

“Pansy. She told everyone vicious rumors to make sure that I had no one on my side. The only people who seem to believe me are my siblings, but the lot of them are just as stuck up as Pansy. The only ones who turned out all right are Jude and Artemis.”

“Why would she do that?”

“I have a strange feeling that it’s because she was jealous. She’s a ‘leader’, too. She wants to be in charge of everyone and control them. I wouldn’t let her do that to me, so she did everything in her power to turn everyone against me.”

"Well, I think that's cool that you stood up for yourself. Maybe you’re not a Slytherin snob after all…” her voice trailed off as they reached the library. After a finding a table, they started on their essays. It wasn't difficult to feel the awkward atmosphere. Distracted, Lanee accidently smudged her ink, having a short exchange with Helena when she messed up.

"Hey, Villar. Let's be friends, okay? Because I have a feeling if we get into another fight, we're gonna get expelled or die." Lanee suddenly said, not joking at all. If they kept being enemies, their fights were only going to get worse and life was just going to get harder. Friends were easier.

Helena stood up to meet Lanee. She held out her hand, “I agree. Friends?”

Shaking hands, Lanee smiled, “Friends.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It's how Mary(who writes the Villar chapters) and I becamed friends, minus hating each other first. We wanted to include it :P