Mommy, What's a "Sex" and Where Can I Get One?

Sex! At the Haner Household

As you might've guessed, Dan and Jayde aren't the most normal siblings. Well, aside from not even being related at all. The fact is that Dan and Jayde have been so close since they've lived together that something has happened. Something. Not nothing; something. And the thing is, no one's noticed it. No one. It's locked up inside Dan and Jayde, patiently waiting for its time to shine (The Used reference, anyone?). And that time is coming. When? Well, no one knows.

Saturday morning at the Haner household. 8:32 AM. Everyone's awake and eating breakfast. Parents at each end of the table. Jayde and Dan facing each other at Jordan's end. Frank and Samantha facing each other at Megan's end. Tamara's in a booster seat next to Megan, and Shawn is having his turn eating on the kitchen counter.

"Hey, um... mom?" Jayde set her fork down, looking up from her plate. Dan finished his food and looked over at Jayde with an eyebrow raised.

"Yes, m'dear?" Megan said, looking up at Jayde.

"When can I start... like... having sex?"

Dan choked on air, Jordan's eyes bulged, Megan raised her eyebrows and leaned back in her chair. Oh, and Shawn spit out his coffee and burnt himself on what was left in his cup.

"What kind of question is that?!" Megan yelled, more surprised than angry.

Jayde squeezed her eyes shut as she thought for her words. "Mom, I just wanna know. For when I'm ready."

"When you're eighteen."

Meanwhile, Samantha covered her mouth to delay the laughs building in her. Tamara stared at her and grinned.

"Mommy," Frank said softly, "what's a sex and where can I get one?" The sentence came out slowly as Frank chose his words carefully.

"Little man, you'll get a sex when you're all old like Shawn." Dan said to Frank, patting his shoulder a little.

Shawn threw a chunk of bagel at the back of Dan's head. "Shut up."

"Well you are...." Dan mumbled, getting another piece of toast and flattening his hair.

"Shawn, have you had sex?" Jayde asked, finishing her tea.

Shawn paused. "I'm not answering that."