No More Room To Breathe

Chapter 9

**************Jason’s POV*****************

I was in the music store where Marilyn worked, Trance Rock . I had to be more careful since that damn newspaper story had come out. Me, Jason Hartlett, front page news baby!! If my mother could only see me now! I was going through a few CDs, all boring compared to what I was really there for.

*The Maine, Forever The Sickest Kids , A Day To Remember…..* I recited in my brain, stifling a yawn.

Then, something very interesting caught my eye. It was that guy Marilyn had been talking to the other day. The one with dark hair that wrote something on her hand. The CD was for some lame band, There For Tomorrow. I could not believe my luck it had the guys name on it and everything!

*Maika and Marilyn…how poetic,* I sneered to myself. *Not if Ican help it.*

Just then I heard the door bang open and a lot of furious whispering was going on. I turned in time to see Maika talking to Marilyn’s boss.

*So is Marilyn supposed to be here? Is this loser here asking for her?*

The kid left just as fast as he came and I decided to chance following him. We pulled out of the lot, a few cars between us and headed east. It didn’t take long to get to the apartment buildings and Maika ran in seeming to know what he was looking for. I waited. And waited. And waited.

*What the fuck is taking so long?!*

I was beginning to think I’d made a mistake when Marilyn and Maika came out the door. Marilyn had a small suitcase with her. They held hands as they went to Maika’s car. I’d seen that look on his face before…. It was the same look Shane had when I met him. The same look I had when I was with Marilyn.

*She’s mine!* my brain growled. *This Maika won’t be around much longer after I’m through with him. He’s just another Shane Olcott.*

I ducked down as their car passed and let them get a few cars ahead. Then…I followed.

*****************Marilyn’s POV*******************

*How could happiness be this easy?* I wondered, looking at Maika’s hand wrapped around mine. He gave it a squeeze and I looked up to see him studying my face.

“Marilyn, we can go back if you want. Or if you’re having second thoughts. I can stay at your place too.”

“Maika for the hundredth time… I’m fine with staying at your place,” I laughed. “I was just going over everything that’s happened…”

I assume he knew all about Shane from the paper, but I wasn’t completely ready to talk about him.

As if reading my mind he said, “We don’t have to go through each other’s histories, Marilyn. I’m perfectly capable of getting to know you as you are now. Nothing that happened before I met you matters.”

I smiled at him and he returned it while turning onto a side street.

*This amazing guy wants me. He wants me,* I mused. I held his hand tighter and Maika rubbed soothing circles on the back of my hand. We pulled up in front of a gray house with painted navy shutters and Maika turned off the engine.

“Let me give you some important information before we go inside.”

I had been watching the house when he said this. A curtain twitched before I turned to face him.

“Information? About the house? Is it haunted or something?!”

Maika laughed loudly as the front door opened and the guy (Chris?) ran to the car window at full speed.

“MAIKA!! MAIKA!!”

“What, Chris?”

Chris was using a slightly whiny tone and there was something red and gooey dripping from his long, brown hair.

“Christian threw pizza in my hair!! PIZZA!!!!”

“Well, where’s the shower cap I bought you?” Maika asked him getting out of the car and walking over to my side.

“I DON’T KNOW!!” Chris yelled, flinging pizza sauce and melted cheese all over.

The front door opened again and a guy with short, brown, spiked hair came up to the car with a smirk across his face. He might as well have plastered a “I threw the pizza” sign to his shirt.

“Aww c’mon Chris! It’s nothing a shower can’t fix!”

Chris started walking back to the house. “I don’t want to hear it! This is war Climer!”

“Chris wait! Tell Jay to come out here too!” Maika told him.

Chris frowned, but opened the door and yelled something. He came back to stand opposite the short haired guy as another guy came outside. This one had a shaved head and looked like he was Mexican or maybe Spanish.

*Wow! I get to live with four hot guys! Way to step up your game, Mar.* I thought a bit giddy and nervous at the same time.

“Guys, this is Marilyn and she’s going to be staying with us for a while. Marilyn, this is Jay,” Maika said pointing to the Mexican guy. “Christian,” he said pointing to the one with short, spiky hair. “..and this is Chris,” he finished with a roll to his eyes.

A small “Hi” was all I could manage. All the guys waved and said “Hey” or “What’s up?” and Chris even gave me a hug, dripping pizza sauce onto me.

Maika wiped it off saying, “Chris would you watch the hair!”

“Funny you should say that Maika cuz that’s exactly what I’ve been saying to all of you!”

Maika let out an exasperated sigh. “OK. Guys Marilyn’s a friend of mine. She’s going through a tough time and I offered to let her stay here for awhile.” Nods all around.

“Friend? As in she’s single? DIBS!!” Chris yelled loudly raising his hand.

“Chris…..she’s uhhhhh. Well I mean…”

“I’m his girlfriend," I said, blushing and moving closer to Maika’s side.

Maika wrapped his arm around me protectively with a big grin across his face. “Yeah. My girlfriend.”

“AAAAAWWWWW!” the other guys moaned in unison, heads drooping in defeat.

I laughed a little to myself at the sight of them. “We can all be friends though, right?”

“DIBS!!!” Chris yelled again, “I get BEST friend dibs!!!”

“OK. Chris gets BEST FRIEND dibs,” I said.

Chris ran into the house yelling, “Take THAT Climer!!!!” Christian just rolled his eyes whipering something about pizza and the point worth of it.
"I guess you could say it's haunted by morons...," Maika smirked.

We all watched Chris go and followed him into the house. This was where I was going to live. With a man I could possibly love.

I hope this lasts forever.

*********************Jason's POV************************

This is going to be fun....