No More Room To Breathe

Chapter 16

***Marilyn's POV***

*beep beep beep*

There was that stupid noise again. All I wanted was to sleep peacefully, I hardly slept at all down here in the basement. But, that stupid beeping noise kept waking me up. I shifted, trying to find a more comfortable spot on the hard, packed dirt-floor. I jerked back as the floor gave way with a small creak. I opened my eyes, immediately closing them again because of the brightness of the small, white room. Where was I? Had Jason moved me?! Confused and panicked, I started to scream.

***Maika's POV***

I was standing out in the hallway speaking to Marilyn's doctor when I heard her. It was the first time I'd left her bedside since I'd gotten her out of that house nearly 4 days ago. She had been lying motionless on the floor in the basement. The doctor said she'd suffered a blow to the head and because of her malnourished state hadn't recovered as quickly as she should have. She looked so pale and small laying in the hospital bed as various tubes brought her back slowly. I was almost glad that she was out for the whole ordeal that getting her out had been.

The doctor was explaining her current condition when we both heard the scream and ran into the room. She was awake! Scared, but awake. I walked up to her bed slowly, whispering reassuring noises.

"Mar...Mar, you're okay. It's me Maika."

"M-Maika? But...how? Where's Jason?!," she screamed, tears running down her face in small rivulets.

"I'll explain all that later. Please, let the doctor check everything out."

She flinched as her doctor moved closer and moved farther into the bed, shaking.

"It's alright. I promise."

Marilyn looked at me and her eyes seemed to clear a bit. She didn't move again when the doctor moved forward. After checking her vitals, he gave me the all clear to talk and left the room.

"Hey. How are you feeling?"

"I don't know. How did I get here? I was in that basement and Jason hit me and then I woke up here. I don't remember anything in between."

I nodded. The doctor had said that this could happen, losing spaces of time. She had been hit pretty hard and had needed stitches when they brought her in.

"Basically, I showed up at the farmhouse, fought Jason, and called the police after I-I...."

"After you what?"

"Jason's dead, Mar. He'll never hurt you again."

I saw her face pass from confusion, to fear, to relief, and to guilt all at once. I hoped this didn't change anything between us. After all, I was now a murderer...just like Jason. I knew it was self-defense, that I HAD to fight, but I felt Jason's blood on my hands.

"I'm not sure what to say. I've been looking over my shoulder for years, thinking about my family and the justice they deserved. And now they finally have it. Thank you, Maika. Thank you so much."

She smiled at me and I leaned in slowly, unsure of her reaction. To my relief she didn't hesitate to meet her lips to mine. At this point the doctor came in and we sprang apart, Marilyn blushing deeply.

"Mr. Maile, I need to have a private word with Marilyn if you please."

"Oh..Ok. No problem." I untangled my hand from Marilyn's. "I'll just be right outside. I'll call the guys, they've been dying to come and visit and i promised to let them know when you woke up."

Marilyn nodded, smiling widely and watched me walk out telling me to say hello for her.

That was the last time I'd see her really smile for a long time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this is kinda short and sucky... /: It's kind of just filler. Got a big twist in the next chapter for all of you!!!