No More Room To Breathe

Chapter 2

*************Maika's POV***************
"Dammit!", I yelled into the darkness of my room.
I looked over at the clock on my nightstand for what seemed like the millionth time. 4:00 AM! I'd been trying to sleep for the past 3 hours! I've never been good with sleep, not even when I was small. I had no idea why I'd been cursed with this problem.
I got out of bed and padded down the hallway towards the living room. I could hear the guys horsing around with Shrek blaring in the background. Chris was currently screaming at Christian for throwing popcorn in his hair, while Jay laughed at them both.
*No wonder I can't sleep,* I thought wryly.
"Chris! What the hell are you yelling for? It's only popcorn, not gum!!!," I yelled over their bickering.
"Popcorn means butter! Christian has crossed a line that should have never been crossed! DON'T TOUCH THE HAIR DUDE!!!!" he answered.
"Come on dude, it was just a joke!" Christian replied, rolling his eyes.
"You knew it would happen. He does this EVERY TIME we have popcorn," Jay said.
"That doesn't excuse it!" Chris snapped, going into full pout mode.
"Whatever guys...I'm gonna run to the store," I told them before turning around to grab my jacket and car keys. "Need anything?"
"YEAH!! How bout a shower cap?!" Chris asked, eyeing Christian, who had the popcorn bowl at the ready.
"I'll make sure to grab one."
************about 10 minutes later************

I pulled into the store's lot and grabbed my wallet off the passenger seat. I walked into the store and headed for the drink section. Dr. Pepper...I know it sounds weird, but it helps with my sleeping problem.
*I mean, he's a doctor..right?,* I thought.* Right..yeah.
You're soo tired that you're making corny jokes to yourself.
Keep it together, Maile!*

I headed for the personal hygiene section.
*Might as well get Queen Kamrada his shower cap so I can get some sleep,* I thought sarcastically.
I was deciding between one with pink flowers and one with Dora the Explorer on it when I noticed someone standing next to me.
"Uhh... This isn't for me," I said to the dark haired girl.
"Whatever. S'not my business."
I studied her. She had longer, dark brown hair, dark eyes, and she was skinny. Like in that skinny, but not SCARY skinny kind of way. Perfect. She had on a baggy, black sweatshirt, red and black plaid pajama bottoms, and a pair of fuzzy grey slippers.
"Hello?" she said.
"Uh..sorry." I hadn't realized that I had been staring. She was pretty, in that average way. Simple.
"Well, it's been nice having this weird little chat with you....." she said as she began to walk away.
"Hey, wait!" I called behind her.
"Yeah?" she asked, a strange look on her face.
"Umm..." I stalled.
"Yeah?" she repeated.
I chickened out. "Uh. Why are you here so late? I mean, I thought I was the only weirdo who came to the store this late at night."
She just stared at me.
Did I say something wrong? I thought while i tried to remember what might have offended her.
"Just couldn't sleep," she replied blankly.
"Yeah, I know what you mean. You should try some Dr. Pepper," I suggested.
"As in the soda?" she scoffed. "Umm...I don't think that'll help with a sleeping problem."
"Works like a charm for me," I said, holding up the bottle. "I mean, he's a doctor, right?"
*Real smooth, Maika.* I thought as I internally slapped myself.
"Uh yeah...I guess," she said slowly. "Thanks."
"No problem," was all I could say before she turned around and left me there, holding Chris' shower caps.
♠ ♠ ♠
*= character thought. in case you didn't get it(: