Saving Grace

Prologue (John)

She drove off before I could even fully shut the door. Whatever, she's the one who's been lying to me this whole time. Did she really expect me to think that Hanna, innocent and naive Hanna, had a pregnancy scare? I'm so done with this; I’m so done with her.

I walked back into the house, only to come face to face with Kennedy. Jumping back a little, I said, “Whoa, you scared me, man,”

Kenny shook his head at me, giving me a stern look. “What's up with you?”

“What the hell are you talking about?” I asked, getting angry. I didn't want to deal with Kenny's bull either.

“She loves you, John, and you just-”

“Shut the fuck up, Kennedy!” I screamed, pushing his shoulders in an angry gesture. The alcohol was kicking in. “She cheated on me, and now she's the baby mama to some guy!”

By now, the rest of the guys walked into the front room where we were, with shocked expressions to what I just said. The whole room was silent, and Kenny just stood there in front of me with a blank expression.

“I'm sorry,”

The words hung in the air, and I walked past all of them and back into the kitchen. I needed another beer. Grabbing a Dos Equis from the fridge, I popped it open and took a long sip, letting the alcohol travel down my throat. Kenny didn't need to say he was sorry, he just wanted best for Scarlett and I, but there was no more Scarlett and I, it was just Scarlett. And I.

I heard the door open and close, and for a minute I thought maybe Scarlett came back. But when I heard the voice of my already drunk best friend, Eric Halvorsen, and other voices that I didn't recognize, I knew the party was starting already.

Suddenly I found myself standing up and walking out the back door unnoticed, and to my truck. I needed to get out of here. With the beer in my hand, I unlocked the driver's door and got in. I wasn't that drunk to where I couldn't drive, so I knew I was okay. I started the short drive to the apartment. What if she was there? It was my apartment too, so she couldn't kick me out or anything. It was more my apartment than hers anyway, I paid for the damn place.

As I parked, I looked around the rest of the parking spaces looking for her car. When I didn't see it, I got out and walked the familiar path to our apartment door. Unlocking the door with my key, I walked in and turned on the living room light.

Something was missing. The apartment looked empty almost.

No. No way.

Walking to the bedroom Scarlett and I shared, I saw all her drawers open. Open and empty. She used to have pictures of her and her family on the bedside table. Gone.

She left. In a mere thirty minutes, she packed up everything and left. I sat down on the king sized bed and sighed. She probably went to Hanna’s house. I chuckled again at what Scarlett said. Hanna, pregnant. Did she really expect me to believe that? Hanna wasn’t the type of person to go and get pregnant.

I got up from the bed and walked to the kitchen. Opening the fridge, I smiled at the beer inside. As I popped it open, I saw a note on the kitchen counter. It said ’John’ in her beautiful neat writing. Putting the beer down, I picked it up. Opening it, I saw a message that looked quickly scribbled, like she was in a rush when she wrote it. Considering how fast she packed, she must’ve been.

John,

I don’t know when you’ll see this, or even if you will. As you can see, I’ve taken all my things and left. I called my brother, and he said he’ll let me stay with him back home in El Paso. I didn’t tell anyone, not Hanna or any of the boys. If they ask about me, just tell them I went home. I would really appreciate it.

I’m sorry we didn’t work out. I guess we just weren’t meant to be.

Please just make me one promise and take care of yourself and everyone else. Give everyone my blessings and love.

-Scarlett


I read the note over three times, and it wasn’t until I started to read it again that I realized there were tears in my eyes. I never thought she would really leave. I knew she left, but I didn’t think she’d leave the state. I thought that I could just drive to Hanna’s house and I’d see her beautiful face. Of course I’m pissed that she is lying to me, but it kills me to know that she’s gone.

I didn’t know what to feel. Half of me didn’t want her to go, but the other half wishes to never see her again.

Maybe she’s just bluffing. She has to be. She never liked Texas, why would she go back? Taking out my phone, I dialed Hanna’s number, and let it ring. After two rings, I heard her chirpy voice. “Hey, John, what’s up?”

I was going to ask if Scarlett was there, but I found myself asking instead, “Did you take a pregnancy test in my apartment?” It was the alcohol, it made me so blunt. There was silence on the other end.

I heard her gulp and when she answered; the chirpiness was gone from her voice. “Scarlett told you, huh?” Her voice was filled with embarrassment now, I could just hear it. “I took it there at your place last week, but the doctor said it was wrong,”

Suddenly the phone dropped from my palm. Hanna never lied; ever. Everything she was saying was true. Scarlett didn’t cheat on me, and she wasn’t pregnant. I’m such an idiot. Thinking about the situation now, why didn’t I believe her? Scarlett and I have always been truthful with each other.

“John, JOHN!”

Hanna’s voice from the phone on the floor knocked me out of my thoughts. Picking it up, I pressed it to my ear. I then noticed I was crying. “Hanna, I made a mistake.”

“John, are you crying? What happened?”

By then I was sobbing. “I made a mistake, a really big mistake.” I looked from the floor, to the kitchen counter again. There was a picture frame with a lovely picture of Scarlett and I. It was at a party, her medium long brown hair curled, with that beautiful smile on her face. How could I be so stupid?

“What’s going on?!”

“Scarlett’s gone, Han!” I screamed into the phone, letting the tears fall. “She left to go back to Texas and it’s all my fault.”

“Wait, what?” Oh my god, did she not hear what I just said? I didn’t want to repeat it, so I just hung up the phone and threw it at the ground.

I screwed up big time, and I’m sure I’m not getting a second chance. She was gone, out of my life forever probably.

I’ll never find anyone like her. She was just perfect. I guess we just weren’t meant to be. Those words, that note, it killed me. I heard my phone ring from across the room, but I didn’t answer.

I just needed to be alone right now.
♠ ♠ ♠
This will probably be the only time we'll see John's POV. I might make one more, just because I know we all want to know his inner thoughts ;)

Next chapter will skip ahead probably six months or a year ahead, and then it'll pick up from there :)

6 subscribers should mean 6 comments, correct? Nope, I got 2 COMMENTS. I don't like silent readers!