Saving Grace

Something just tells me we will.

I walked into the high school, the nerves taking over me. Oh my god, I was so nervous. I knew absolutely no one. This was one of the many downsides of moving from my beloved hometown El Paso, Texas to Tempe, Arizona. Although I did in fact hate Texas with a fire burning passion, I wish I could bring all my friends so I didn’t have to completely start over social wise.

I was glad it was the first day, so I wasn’t the only ones lost. All us freshmen were swarming the halls finding our first periods. I walked up to a room, which I believed was my class, AP Geometry. I was a year ahead in math, and one of many, because the counselors said the class was full.

“Are you in my class?” he asked, looking down at me.

“Uh, I think so,” I said, and he motioned me to enter the classroom. I saw there was already three other students in there, all scattered across the room. I took a seat in the back row, all by myself, no one around me.

The time went by slower than I thought. When the first bell rang, students came surprisingly quickly, but there was still one open spot right next to me. When the second bell rang, the seat was still open. It was to my left, in the very corner. The teacher, whose name I learned was Mr. Harris, closed the door, right when four people walked in, stopping the door from shutting. It was two girls, both blonde with bright blue eyes, and two boys, both with brown hair and one with green eyes and other with brown. The two girls quickly found three seats in the back, the boy with the brown eyes following, leaving the one with green eyes to be forced to sit next to me.

He plopped into his seat with a sigh, as his friends chuckled. “Thanks for ditching me, you guys,” he spoke, turning to Mr. Harris, who started to hand out the syllabus, our schedules, and a review sheet of last year’s course. The boy’s green eyes widened once he saw the sheet. “How does he expect us to remember algebra?” He said to no one in particular, but I decided to answer him.

“I don’t even know,” I shrugged, staring at the white sheet as well. “I don’t remember any of this,”

2(3x - 7) + 4 (3 x + 2) = 6 (5 x + 9) + 3

“Mr. Harris, I don’t remember this!” he yelled out to our teacher.

Mr. Harris chuckled slightly and said, “You can ask for help from the people by you, I want no going to other seats, class!” We all nodded at his words and I looked down at the equation that only three months ago would have been easy to solve, but summer wiped my brain out.

“Hey, uh, do you want to, um, work together?”

It took me a while to register that the boy sitting next to me was the one speaking. He was looking at me with his green eyes, holding a pencil in one hand and the worksheet in the other. I nodded, knowing I need some kind of help. “Yeah, sure,” We pushed our desks together and began to work out the difficult equation.

“I’m John, by the way,” he said, flashing me a slight smile.

Smiling back, I said, “I’m Scarlett,” I was really shy, especially around people I didn’t know.

“That’s a pretty name,” I blushed slightly at his words and told him thank you.

Ten minutes later, we finally figured out the problem. “That was awful,” John said. It defiantly was. We worked on the rest together until the bell rang.

John picked up his things and walked out with his friends, but he turned and waved at me before he walked out. “Bye Scarlett, see ya,”

I smiled at him and waved before walking out as well.

As I walked out of the geometry class, I looked down at my schedule. World Geography. After getting lost twice, as many of the freshmen were, I found the room. I walked in and I gasped when I saw John, sitting by the window, talking to a red headed guy. John looked up and saw me and smiled. He waved me over, and I silently thanked God. I knew absolutely no one else, obviously.

“You stalking me, now?” He joked, sticking his tongue out. I laughed at his comment and shook my head. I took the seat in front of him. “Oh, Jared this is Scarlett, Scarlett this is Jared,”

I looked at the red head, and he smiled. “Hey,” he said, waving. I waved back. “Did you go to our school last year?”

I shook my head. “I just moved from Texas.”

The two nodded. “That’s pretty rad,”

Our teacher was really cool. He liked to tell jokes and he let us have fun. He gave us a map worksheet that we just had to color.

John scoffed. “Oh wow, coloring the world map.” He said, “This is sooo hard,” I laughed slightly at his joke, and began to color my sheet.

Once the period was over, I didn’t realize until I was halfway down the hall that John was by my side. I jumped slightly, not noticing he was there. “Oh, hey,” I had English next, and a part of me wondered if John had that class too.

“Where you going?” He asked, looking down at his own schedule.

“English, right over there,” I said, finding the room quickly.

“Bleh, I have Biology, I have no idea where I’m going,” I laughed at his words as we stopped in front of my class. “Well, I’ll see you; maybe we’ll have another class.”

I was going to ask to see his schedule to check, but I wanted it to be a surprise if he was or not. “Yeah, maybe, I’ll see you,”

He turned around and walked in the other direction, and I walked into the class.

After English, I had biology. When I walked in and saw Jared, he waved me over to sit with him. Our biology teacher let us talk the whole period, so I got to know Jared. He was really nice and funny. He told me about funny things that have happened to him, while I told him about my adventures in Texas.

I had Latin after biology. I walked in to see John and one of the blonde girls from our geometry class. When I walked in, John smiled, patting the seat in front of him. The blonde girl gave me a look, and she said to John, “Anyway, so we walk into-“

John interrupted her. “Oh yeah, Lauren this is Scarlett, Scarlett this is-“

“I really don’t care, John, I’m telling you a story,”

I saw John frown and roll his eyes. “Well, I really don’t care about your story,”

Lauren got up. “I’m going to go sit with Aaron; he’ll listen to my story!”

Once she was gone and on the other side of the room, John tapped me on the shoulder. I turned towards him. “Sorry about her, she’s just really blunt,”

I shrugged. “It’s okay; I’m really blunt too,”

He looked at me shocked. “You? You’re so shy!” I blushed at his words.

“I’m shy when you first meet me,” I said, “Trust me, once you get to know me better, you’ll see,”

John laughed. “Then I’ll get to know you better,” he said, “Because I did not believe you are blunt.”

It was my turn to laugh. “You’ll see, you’ll see,”

After Latin, John and I both had lunch. I didn’t think John would want me to sit with him, so I was planning on just getting a tea and an apple and going to the library. When I started to walk towards the stairs to the library, I heard John call out, “Where are you going?”

I turned towards him. “Uh, the library,” I said.

He frowned slightly, and asked, “Why?”

I shrugged my shoulders, and he responded with, “Oh, I just thought, you would want to sit together,”

I widened my eyes once the words left his mouth. He wanted me to sit with him? Before I knew what I was doing, I nodded and said, “Yeah, that’d be cool,”

“You don’t have to if you don’t want to,” He began, but I interrupted him.

“No, I want to,” I smiled at him, and he smiled back. He led the way towards the table, where I saw Jared, the guy from our geometry class, another guy, and a girl who I noticed was in my English class.

Jared greeted me and I sat in front of him and next to John. He introduced me to them all. The guy in our geometry class was his best friend, Eric, but everyone called him Halvo. The boy besides him was Tim, and Hanna was the girl. She was nice, and she and I sparked a conversation about some shoes we both saw online. In the corner of my eye, I saw John smile at us.

After lunch, I went to the rest of my classes, super happy when I had Hanna in my photography class, and John again in my tech theater class.

“John, why are you in tech theater?”

“One of my sophomore friends told me you don’t do anything in this class, and I heard it’s pretty fun too,”

Nodding my head, I was surprised when the last bell rang. The day was over already? When I first walked in, I expected the day to drag on, and to be alone and friendless. Instead the day went by too fast and I actually made some friends. As John and I walked out the school, we said bye to each other once we got to the bus loop, and we each went to look for our bus. When I finally found mine, I got on, and I almost laughed when I saw John sitting in one of the seats, in the middle.

His eyes quickly found mine, and our eyes settled on each other for a moment. He really did have pretty eyes. They sparkled and showed happiness in them. I saw him grin. He had a really nice smile too.

His voice jumped me out of my thoughts. “Fancy seeing you here,” he smirked, and I almost melted. That damn smirk was making me nervous now. I didn’t know if he was saving the seat next to him or not so I took the seat in front of him.

“It’s like, fate, you know,”

I turned towards John at his words. I furrowed my eyebrows as he continued. “We see each other all day, this means something,” he said, looking at me deeply. He suddenly smiled. “We’re going to be best friends,”

I chuckled lightly. “And how are you so sure?” In the corner of my eye, I saw Halvo aboard the bus.

John shrugged his shoulders. “Something just tells me we will.”

If only I knew he was right, and that my whole life would change after that.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the worst thing I've ever written. lol sorry it's so bad. Believe it or not, it took me like two weeks to get this written. I've been so busy with school I haven't had time.

Next one will be flashback too, but MUCH BETTER TRUST ME.

I still can't get over how bad this chapter is. Well, anyway, I see The Maine in less than a month. I'm so excited, yay. xoxo