Saving Grace

Can't remember a thing.

High school was finally over. I couldn’t believe it; the past four years really flew by. I looked up at John, who was taking a picture with Ross and Shane in his cap and gown. He looked so cute. The great thing was that he was my boyfriend now, so I could say it aloud for everyone to hear. He asked me out during winter break, and I accepted of course. I realized sophomore year how much I really liked him, and now I was positive I loved him. John’s eyes locked with mine and he smiled; that same smile that made me melt the first day of freshman year. His family walked over to mine, and sparked some kind of conversation, but in the moment it was just John and I. He grabbed my hand and squeezed it.

“Seems like just yesterday we were goofing around and messing up in tech theater,” he said, chuckling. I laughed with him and shook my head. “and now we’re going to college together.” If it was possible, his grinned brighter. We both got into ASU. It was going to be so much fun.

I grinned. “I can’t wait,” I said, pecking his lips lightly. I heard some “aww’s” and snapping of pictures and we both turned to see our mom’s taking picture after picture.

“You two are just too cute, you know,” My mom said, making me blush. John smirked and wrapped his arm tighter around my waist. “Well, we’re going to get going. John you will watch my baby girl at that party, right?” I saw John turn almost pale as he nodded quickly, clearing his throat.

My dad put his arm around my mother. “Honey, they’ll be fine,” he said, chuckling, “Have fun you guys,” We said bye to both our families and watched them leave, my mom and Jenny, John’s mom, showing each other the pictures they took just now.

John wrapped his arm tighter around my waist once more, and kissed my head.

“Aww, look at the happy couple!” A new mixture of “aww’s” filled the silence.

I recognized the voices and turned to face all my friends; Hanna, Jared, Halvo, Tim, my friend Kennedy, Tim’s little brother Pat, and Pat’s best friend Garrett. After a couple days into freshman year, we were all so close. Then one day Tim brought Pat along, and then one day he brought Garrett, and we all just started hanging out every weekend. It was like a routine. One day I was in a record store when I met a guy named Kennedy. He reminded me of all the guys, so I invited him to hang with us, and he just kind of stuck around. Although it was clear John was my best friend, Kenny really had a special place in my heart. I hugged each and every one of them, they were all my best friends now. After taking one big group picture (Halvo’s mom wanted one so bad), we all took off to go to the party.

John’s hand in mine, I started to walk to his ford pickup. He stopped to open the door for me, and I smiled. Before he opened it, he grabbed my chin and pulled my lips towards his. “I love you, Scar, more than anything in the world,”

I swear for a second I was about to pass out. This was the first time he said I love you. I mean, before we were together we always did, but that was as friends, this was as a couple. I looked at him for a moment before saying four words that I knew in my heart were completely true. “I love you too,”

--

“I’m so proud of you, baby,” Pecking my boyfriend’s lips, I clutched the CD in my hand. John dropped out of ASU after only two semesters to pursue a band with the boys. Of course I was upset at first, but then I realized that this was something he loved to do. I supported him. They were releasing their second full length album today, and I couldn’t be prouder.

John gave me his signature smirk and kissed me again. It has been four years. Four amazing years. I was absolutely head over heels in love with him. He made me so happy.

“Thank you, darling,” He said, lacing his fingers with mine. “I love you,”

“I love you, too,”


--

I woke up in the morning in the guest bedroom at Hanna’s with a massive hangover. I don’t even remember how I got home or who even took me home. As I sat up from the bed, I noticed a note on the dresser with my name written in pen. I got up and grabbed it, noticing the handwriting automatically. For a minute I thought I should just throw the note away and not even look at it, but the curiosity got the best of me.

I know in the morning you’ll be so hungover and probably won’t remember much, so I’m writing this so you know that I took you home. I’ll see you later.

-John


“Oh my gosh,” I said aloud to myself, reading the note over again. I heard a knock at the door, and I quickly stuffed the note in the drawers before saying, “Come in!”

The door opened and revealed Hanna wearing a pair of shorts and a teal tank top. She looked at me up and down and said, “Girl, you’re wearing the same thing since last night!” She waltzed in and looked through my suitcase and threw some clothes at me. “Get showered and changed quick, we’re going to get some lunch with everyone.”

I rolled my eyes. “I would much rather sleep, Han,” I said laying the clothes on my bed before laying down on it myself. Shutting my eyes, I said, “I don’t want to see him, not today,” Things would be so awkward, especially since I couldn't remember a thing.

“I heard he took you home last night,” I felt Hanna get on the other side of the bed.

Shrugging, I looked at her to my right. “He left me a note,” I reached into the drawer and handed it out to her. “I don’t remember a thing, though.” Shows me not to drink so much anymore.

Hanna read the note and sighed, before handing it back and saying, “How about they come over here for lunch?” she suggested, "If John annoys you, you can come up here and ignore him,” She gave me a smile and I sighed before nodding. “We have to talk about the wedding, it’s important.”

I had to remind myself that I was doing all this for Loren and Lex. I was going to try to be friends with John for them, at least just for the time I’m here. After the wedding, I can go back to Texas and everything will be the same again.

In the corner of my eye I saw Hanna typing away on her iPhone. “Alright, they said they’ll bring the food over here,” Hanna got up, and slapped my leg. “Go get showered, they’ll be here soon.”

I sighed and got up. “Alright, chill out girl, I’m going,” I grabbed the clothes and walked to the bathroom that was in my room. “I’ll be out soon,”

“Okay, just come down when you’re done,” she said, walking towards the door. She turned around before walking out, however. “Scar?” she asked, and I turned towards her and nodded at her, telling her to continue. “I really hope you stick around for a while, you know, after the wedding.” With that, she walked out, leaving me with her words to wander through my head.

As I took my shower, I thought long and hard about the whole situation. I still couldn’t decide on what I wanted. My heart was telling me to stay and be with my friends, but my head was telling me to leave because I was going to be hurt again.

I didn’t know what I wanted, and it sucks. Thirty minutes later, I found myself standing in front of the mirror debating if I should go down or not. They were all here, that’s for sure. Those boys were so damn loud, you could hear them from five miles away.

My outfit was nothing to special nor plain, it was just right. I knew I had to go down sooner or later, but I got to damn nervous whenever I tried. What would I say to John? Thanks for taking me home? Nothing? I was so confused. Although we said last night we would try to be friends soon, part of me knew it would end badly. I heard a knock at my door. I rolled my eyes and yelled out, “I’ll be down in a minute, Han, I promise,”

“It’s me.”

I froze in my place. What was he doing up here? I stood up from my bed and walked to the door, slowly opening it to reveal the one and only John O’Callaghan.

Well shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just needed to update. Sorry it's pretty short.

Comments? Predictions? Anything? Greatly appreciated..

Oh yeah and I saw The Maine last Sunday, and it was pretty fantastic! I met them all, but only got pictures with Kenny and Pat. They really do sound amazing live.