Railroad Tracks

Railroad Tracks

I drove all night to get to you . . .
Was that all right?


*Frankie's POV*

"You're going and that's final. There's no discussing this."

I hate it when her voice is like that. When she's so sure she's doing the right thing. Sending her son away to live with a man she couldn't stand is the solution to all of her problems.

"I'm not going and that's final. End of discussion." I shout.

"Don't you talk back to me. Smoking I could handle. Missing curfew once in a while I could handle. Expulsion, fights, suspension, detention as if it were an after-school activity . . ." She sits down and puts her head in her hands. "I can't handle this one. It takes the cake."

"Which part, Mom? The part where I do pot or the part where I kiss my best friend?" I snap. I lean against the wall and cross my arms. "Because you knew about the pot, Mom. It's not like I could hide that one very well. But I guess you just lose it when you find out that you're only child's a fag, huh?"

"Don't you talk that way!" She jumps up and shakes her finger at me. I'd like to break it. "Don't use that type of language. You're a confused and disturbed child. You need a male role model in your life and you're going to get one."

"Yeah, whatever." I move for the door.

"You need to pack."

I glare at her. "No, I need to see Mikey."

"You aren't going to see him anymore. Ever. No contact."

I open the door and take another look at her. "Mom, I might be short, but you're five one and I'm pretty sure you can't stop me."

It's only six blocks to Mikey and Gerard's house. I don't take her car. They might get me for stealing that. Leaving my mother's house isn't a felony. At least it wasn't the last time I checked.

I knocked on the door about ten minutes later and Gerard answered. "Mikey!" he yelled, leaving the door open and disappearing into the den again. I could see paints spread out all over their dad's desk.

Mikey came down the stairs and stopped at the bottom, smiling. "Hey."

"Hey."

"Well, come on." He was acting like a twelve year old girl trying to act cool in front of a guy she liked. It was cute, in a creepy sort of way. I followed him up the stairs and we sat down on his bed. Actually, Mikey sat down. I collapsed, my head in his lap.

"My mom's trying to send me to my dad's." I told him. "She was freaking out. I thought her fucking head was going to explode." I laughed and choked on it when he pulled me up by the shoulders.

"Because of the kiss?" he asked. His eyes were serious. A little too serious for my taste.

"Jesus, calm down, Mikey." I said. "My mom freaks out about everything. You'd think I'd burned down her house and pissed on the ashes the way she was carrying on."

"It's not funny!" he protested as I started laughing. "If she sends you to your dad's—“

"That's stupid." I said, putting my hands on his cheeks and smiling. "Do you have any idea how many times she's tried to send me to my dad's?" I leaned forward and kissed him lightly on the lips. "See? No laser beam destroyed me. Don't know what the fuck her—“

My words disappeared when Mikey pulled me to him for another kiss, this one deeper. Much deeper.

That was how Gerard found us. He rolled his eyes and pulled us apart. "Hey!" I protested as Mikey blushed.

"So sorry to interrupt." Gerard said sarcastically. "Unfortunately, a cop just pulled up in the driveway and since your mom got out of the damn car, I'm sure it has to do with you."

My eyes widened. Mom had never sent the cops on me before. I scrambled for Mikey's window and yanked it open. "I wasn't here, okay?"

"What did you do?" Mikey asked after I dropped to the ground outside. He was leaning out of the window frame and clearly debating whether or not to follow me. "Was it bad?"

I pulled him down for a kiss and pulled away. "I just took off, okay? Now, be a good boy and get in the house."

He was reluctant, but as I took off down the street, I turned to look at him. He slowly gave me a smile and slipped back into the house.

*Mikey's POV*

How does he manage to do this every time? He just slips away from rules and authority as if it weren't a problem. I heard Gerard answer the door.

"Hi, Mrs. Iero." he said. I could tell he liked having the one up on her. He could barely contain his happiness and I know he'd slap her if she weren't female. Gerard's pretty protective of me.

"Hello, Gerard." she said. If Gerard's voice was bursting with ecstasy, hers was nothing but bitter anger. "Is my son here?"

I crept out of my room and watched Gerard from the end of the hallway. He pretended to think for a moment. "He's the short one, right? With the tongue ring and his ear pierced? Dark hair?"

"Yes." Mrs. Iero snapped.

"Nope." Gerard said, shaking his head and smiling at her. "Haven't seen him all day 'cept at school. He in some sort of trouble?"

"Besides the trouble he got in with your brother," Mrs. Iero said harshly, clearly trying to draw a reaction from Gerard, "no."

Gerard nodded. "Yeah. But I never thought you were one to hold grudges just because your kid was getting more action than you." He gave her a fake smile. "Hope you find him."

"Young man, if you have him in your house that's hindering an investigation." one of the police officers said.

Gerard glared at him. "No, it's not. It's only hindering an investigation if a crime has been committed. We're all minors here, so it's not kidnapping or holding a hostage. You can't check my house without a warrant. Oh! And he's not here." He slammed the door and turned, smiling at me. "What a bitch."

I nodded. "Yeah. Do you think Frankie'll get in trouble?" I sat down on the arm of the couch and Gerard shook his head.

"Frankie never gets in trouble, does he?" Gerard sat down next to me on the couch. "What happened Friday, Mike? I don't think it was 'just a stupid kiss' like you told me, otherwise you wouldn't be repeating your little science experiment in the bedroom."

I blushed again, looking down. "I . . . I don't—“

"You know I don't care, right?" Gerard put his hand on my shoulder. Sure, it was covered it paint and he realized it quickly, but it was still nice. "Sorry." he said, pulling back.

I turned my head and smiled at him. "I know you don't care." I stood up and pulled my shirt over my head. "Frankie doesn't care about anything like that." I walked toward our bedroom. "I wish I were like that." I half muttered to myself, shutting the door.

I sat down on my bed and screamed when I felt two arms wrap around me from behind. I heard a laugh and turned, punching my best friend in the arm. "Don't you ever do that again!"

The door opened again and Gerard rolled his eyes, shutting it. "Fucking psychopath teenagers."

"Hey, you're a psychopath teenager, too!" I yelled back, quieting when Frankie put his hand over my mouth and his other arm around my waist. He pushed me back on the bed slowly and removed his hand only to replace it with his mouth. God, his lips are so soft and his lip ring is . . . well, hot would be a good word.

His fingertips were tracing my sides and then the skin right above my jeans. I hissed through my teeth when I felt him start to bite and suck on my neck. His tongue flicked across my skin and I actually moaned. The door opened again. "Jesus Christ, Gerard. What is your problem?"

Gerard shut the door. "Look, I don't care that you guys are making out, but I'm straight and related to one of you, so cool it. Oh, and Mom and Dad just pulled into the driveway, so unless you want to come out to them while you're getting your first hickey, I'd knock it off."

I sighed and sat up, watching my older brother putting all the paints he wasn't supposed to have in Dad's den on the table in our room. Frankie leaned into me and whispered in my ear. "How about telling them you're gay while I pop your cherry?"

I shoved him. "Fucking pervert."

Gerard looked at us and opened his mouth, then shook his head. "Forget it. I don't want to know."

"Mikey, Gerard. We're home." Mom called as the front door opened.

"In our room, Mom!" Gerard called, sparing a glance on Frankie and me. We were on the bed like we normally would be. Frankie on his back, feet off the edge of my bed. Me sitting with my back against the headboard, legs tucked under me.

Mom opened our bedroom door. "Homework?" she asked us. "Hi, Frank."

"Study hall." Gerard and I said in unison. My mother gave us a look that clearly said she didn't believe a damn thing we were saying.

The phone rang and then Dad came into the room. He held the phone out. "Frank, it's your mom."

"Shit." Gerard said.

*Frankie's POV*

"It's fucking graduation!" I yelled at her. "My best friend's graduation. There is no way I'm going to miss it. You'll have to drag me to Colorado yourself."

"Don't you dare take that tone with me. You're getting on that plane tonight. And if you leave the house again, you'll have police escorting you to your father's."

Did I ever mention how much I hate my mother?

Well, the plane didn't leave for two days and I'm a lot smarter than the woman, so I snuck out that night. Walked the six blocks again. Somehow, I liked it better in the dark. I felt safer, as if it were a cloak that no one could see through. I rapped on Mikey and Gerard's window. Mikey was a heavy sleeper, but Gerard glared at me as he opened the window. "What the fuck are you doing here?" he hissed.

I put a finger to my lips and held out a hand. He swore and helped me up. "You're a terrible influence on him, you know?"

"Yeah, yeah." I waved my hand at the older Way brother and gently shook Mikey awake. He opened his eyes and I handed him his glasses, which he slipped on. His expression softened from the 'whoever wakes me up from sleep shall suffer immediate death' to 'Frankie Frankie Frankie'. Actually, that might be pushing it, but you get the picture.

"Wh-What's goin' on?" he asked, yawning and sitting up.

Gerard looked at me, arms crossed, eyebrows raised. "Yeah, Frankie." he said softly. "What's going on?"

I ignored him and sat down next to Mikey on the bed. "I need to talk to you. Get some clothes on. We're going for a walk."

He stared at me for a minute before standing up and moving toward the dresser. "You are not walking around Belleville with my little brother at midnight."

Mikey glared at his brother. "Gee—“

Gerard tossed me his keys. "You wreck that car and I'll strangle you."

"I'm your brother." Mikey whined. "Let me drive it."

"I've seen you drive." Gerard said. "I wouldn't let you on a fucking bicycle."

* * *

We drove out to the railroad tracks. When all else fails, drive to the railroad tracks. I don't know why. Mikey and I have always gone to the railroad tracks when something's wrong. If we had a fight or one of us is missing, you can almost always find us there.

"Mom's sending me. It's for real this time." I told him. "Plane ticket and everything." I put the car in park and turned to look at him. "It's the day after tomorrow." I said. "I-I'm sorry."

I saw him doing the calculation in his head and he gave a quick nod. "I . . . I get it. It's not your fault."

"I'm sorry." I turned away from him. "I didn't know kissing you would cause all of this. I-It just felt good. I guess I wasn't thinking about what could happen."

Mikey grabbed my hand. "If you're leaving . . . would you . . . would have sex with me first? Graduation present?"

I squeezed his hand. "That's a cheap graduation present." I turned and smiled at him. "But I'm broke." I pulled him down for a kiss.

I love it when Mikey moans into my mouth. It's one of the hottest things I've ever experienced. And he did that when our mouths were both open in a kiss and my hand brushed across the bulge in his jeans. I think he may have tried to mumble 'fuck'. I'm not sure. I couldn't understand while I was sucking on his tongue.

His hands started to tug my shirt over my head and I pulled away from him long enough to yank his off as well, sending his glasses flying across the car. Mikey attached his lips to my neck before I could start to kiss him again. Instead, I unbuttoned his jeans, slipping my hand inside his boxers.

"F-Frankie . . ." he moaned, this time against my neck. He gave the smallest thrust into my hand and I could actually feel the flush rising in his cheeks.

"Mikey . . ." I whispered, turning my head so I could whisper in his ear. "We should probably get in the back if we're going to do this."

He nodded, but neither of us moved. "I'm sorry." he said softly. "If I would have known she was going to do this, I'd never have kissed you."

I pulled him up to face me by his shoulders. "Don't say that." I said. "I don't care what she tries to do. I'll get out of there. You know me."

"It's my fault." he said.

"I love you." I told him. "And I've never been this happy before, my mom be damned. Okay?"

Mikey ducked his head. "You love me?"

I kissed his forehead. "Yes. And I promise you, I'll come back. I swear."

*Mikey's POV*

I wasn't looking forward to graduation. Gerard got it. He didn't talk about Frankie or graduation . . . or anything of importance, really. Safe subjects.

Mom and Dad didn't get it. All they wanted to talk about was graduation and the relatives who were coming and this and that. I came close to screaming at them so many times I lost count. I couldn't tell them why Frankie wasn't going to be at graduation. I didn't know how to let them know I was gay. They don't exactly cover that in school. How to Come Out 101.

I hadn't heard anything from Frankie since he left, even though he had promised to call when he got there. I was more than a little worried. My nails no longer existed.

"You love him, don't you?" Gerard asked the night before graduation. He was helping me practice getting a tie done.

I nodded slowly. "Yeah."

"I figured." he said, his fingers taking over for mine, which were shaking. "It was kind of obvious, even before the two of you kissed." He ruffled my hair and leaned in, brushing his lips against my forehead. Gerard didn't really like sentimental moments so it meant a lot that he was doing this.

I smiled at him. "Thanks, Gee."

*Gerard's POV*

My parents didn't understand what was wrong with Mikey. I know because Mom asked me a couple questions she meant to sound offhanded when I came out of our bedroom to get a drink.

It's got to be hard on him, not knowing how to tell his parents he's gay or bi. I don't know which he is. I don't really care. I'm just trying to imagine how confusing it must be to keep a secret like that inside because you don't really know the answer.

I'm really happy for him. I'm happy that he's in love and I don't care if it's a guy or a girl. As long as it's the same species, I'm totally fine with that.

It's just . . . it's got to be hard enough for your best friend to move away, but it's got to be even harder for your . . . is boyfriend the right word? And, of course, Mikey thinks it's all his fault for kissing him, although I'd bet money Frankie didn't push him away. And then they had sex that last night Frankie was here when they snuck out through the window and went down to the railroad tracks.

Mikey came back with that stupid glow in his cheeks and a smile and tears streaming down his face. It was awful. That kid hasn't slept in my bed since he was ten, but he had to that night. He was a nervous wreck. I hate seeing my brother like that. I hate knowing how much he hurts and that I can't help him.

He was sitting on his bed, legs swinging when I came back in, just staring out the window with his back to me. Then, in one swift motion, he stood up and yanked the cord so the blinds would cover it. I took in a sharp breath and he turned to stare at me. "It's not like anyone will be using them anytime soon." he said.

I really hate Frankie's mother.

* * *

Mikey got through graduation fine. Better than I did even, and I didn't have a broken heart to use as an excuse, just a notoriously short attention span. He smiled for the pictures, dealt with Mom's tears and ramblings about her 'little boy' being 'all grown up'.

'I hate this.' he mouthed at me. I had driven to the graduation ceremony myself and he climbed straight into the car with me, trying to pretend that last time he was in it he wasn't committing all sorts of debauchery with Frankie in the backseat.

"Want to help me kill myself?" he asked as we drove toward the house.

"Yeah, sure. Have a smoke. That'll kill you." It took him a minute to realize I was serious. I had always been really loud about my opinion that Mikey never start smoking, but I reached over an opened the glove box.

He lit it and start smoking as if he'd been doing it for years and wasn't an asthmatic. "How long you been doing that?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I haven't really. Frankie smokes and I steal them from him once in awhile." He stared at the window then and I knew he was trying not to cry.

"It-It'll work out, Mikey." I said, reaching over and squeezing his shoulder. "You'll see. This summer, sometime, we'll drive out there, 'kay? He's not just going to forget about you." I put on my turn signal and sigh. "You better put that cigarette out. We're almost home."

"I'm eighteen." he said.

"Mikey, just put the cigarette out. You'll give Aunt Edna a heart attack." He rolled his eyes, but threw the remaining part of his cigarette out the window. I reached over and pinched his cheek, earning a sarcastic smile. "Get used to it. At least the money's good."

He laughed, his first real laugh since Frankie left. "So that makes it worth it, huh?" I pulled into the driveway and he grabbed my arm before I got out. "Gee?"

I looked at him and smiled. "You're welcome."

It was about fifteen minutes later when some car came speeding up the road and pulled into the driveway. The door opened and Mikey screamed, dropping the glass he had been holding.

Frankie shut the door and put on that cocky grin he has. "I promised, didn't I?" he said, noting Mikey's shocked smile.

My parents exchanged looks but that was nothing compared to Mikey. He ran across the yard and threw himself at Frankie, and being six inches taller, knocked Frankie to the ground. They kissed. And not one of those little pecks on the lips, one of those kisses a military wife gives her husband after he just got back from a war.

Smiling, I turned to the porch to look at my parents. Well, Dad. It took me a second to locate Mom. She was leaning over the porch, trying to get a good picture of Frankie and Mikey. Dad gave a sort of smile that was a laugh being disguised.

Of course, a couple relatives didn't appear to be too happy, but it didn't matter. Mom and Dad were happy and so was Grandma and they were the ones who mattered most.

"We have an audience." I heard Frankie whisper to my brother and Mikey stood up, slightly embarrassed, pulling Frankie up by the hands.

"Boys!" Mom called from the porch. "Could you turn for the camera?"

The excitement had died down enough by that night and I had taken them both out for alcohol. "Frankie, how did you get here?" I asked.

Frankie laughed. "My dad said I could use his car to run down to the store, so I decided to come to one in New Jersey. Did one hundred the whole way." He leaned over and kissed Mikey softly on the lips, lacing their fingers together. "It was worth it."

I drove all night
Crept in your room
Woke you from your sleep
To make love to you