Nell

k n o w

She knows the routine for the first day of school. It’s usually a half day, used to reacquaint the students to the learning environment and familiarize them with their teachers.

Every teacher has their own way of introducing themselves and the class they teach.

The short, energetic maths teacher bounces when she walks, a sort of skip that communicates her enthusiasm. She has enough for the entire school. She briefs everyone on the rules and syllabus, and proceeds to explain how maths apply to daily life.

History is conducted in an entirely opposite manner. The teacher is the kind that people hear horror stories about. The ramrod straight posture and orderly appearance gives her a sort of presence, one that silences the room as she walks inside. She goes over what is expected of the class, the mechanics of the grading system, and the schedule they’ll be subjected to.

She knows that the teachers aren’t always realistic. When it pertains to schoolwork and the student’s academic well being, the teachers know what they’re doing.

Every student comes to find that they’re on their own socially.

There’s an unspoken set of politics that govern the social system, grouping certain people together and keeping others out. For the most part, the class is a polite sort, friendly to those they know well and not so well. While finding a few good friends is a main concern for most of the students, she focuses on schoolwork and leaving that place as soon as possible.

Sadly, that doesn’t offer her much of an opportunity for friendships. Some think that she’s mute. Some say that she thinks she’s better than everyone else. Some fear that she’s unstable, and will one day just snap and kill them all.

The theology teacher comes out cheerful and relaxed, knowing most of the students in the room. She goes on about how funny her kids are, so they’ll hear about them a lot. She talks about how participation is a big part of the class. And she touches on how she will under no circumstances tolerate cruelty, bullying, harassment. She’s gotten kids suspended for it before, she inform them, and she’ll do it again in a heartbeat.

For just a brief moment, her chest swells with gratitude, affection, and respect for this brave woman that stands in front of the horde of desks. Her hope is short lived, however.

She knows that she’ll be on the receiving end again. It’s not like they do it on purpose though, and she doesn’t fight it. They will ignore her for yet another year. It’s inevitable.

No one knows the girl who knows so much.

No one knows Nell.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?