Status: Oh Hold

Be My Strength

Chapter 5

"Kels? Kelsey?" I heard a soft voice whispered in my ear but my eyes were too tired to open it up. The voice now turned into a soft touch on my temple. “Kelsey wake up, we’re arrived,” said Andy and I just mumbled in my sleep. I opened my eyes slowly and I could see Andy was rubbing my temple while he kept driving with his right hand.

"You sleep and snore like a fucking pig," he teased me as he pulled his hand from my head and back to the steering wheel.

"No! I am not!" I defended myself but I wasn't so sure if I snore or not. "I didn't snore, am I?" Andy didn't answer me but he just held himself tried not to burst into laughter. I crossed my arms over my chest annoyed by him.

"How long we’ve been driving?”

“About five hours.”

“What a long way drive. So, where are we now?"

"We’re in Shirakawa, in Gifu," he answered.

“Shirakawa?” I asked. “That famous Shirakawa-go?” I was too excited to hide my excitement and made him chuckled. The mountain was covered in red, orange, and green leaves since this was autumn season. I put my arms on the dashboard and moved my head closer to the front window. This place was amazingly beautiful!

"Yep Ogimachi Village to be exact. See that house over there? We're going there," Andy pointed to one of the traditional houses that looked all similar. "Beautiful, isn't it?" Said Andy.

I just nodded several times. The trees on the side of the road were already turned brown, red and yellow. Lot of falling leaves covered the grass and I could see a farm not so far from this place. Andy parked our car and we got out after picked up our backpacks. I still looked around, amazed with how pretty this place is.

"Come on Kels!" called him.

I turned around and followed him entering the house. The house was made from woods, it still traditional. When I came into the house, the fireplace suddenly made us warm. Also there was an old lady welcoming us.

"O-oh! Andrew it's been a very long time!"

The old lady hugged Andy warmly and she patted his back. She wasn't tall and a little chubby. Her cheeks rose pink when Andy hugged her back. I smiled when I saw them. The old lady saw me behind Andy's shoulder.

"And who is this pretty young lady?" she came toward me and held both of my hands.

"Kelsey. I'm Kelsey ma'am. Nice to meet you"

"Oh Kelsey dear you're so polite," she smiled at me. "I like her, Andrew," she looked back and winked at Andy.

"She isn't that polite, Reiko-san," said Andy and made me glared at him.

"Oh you silly, of course she is! Come, come! Have a sit!" The old lady put her arm around my arm and took me to the living room. I sat on a light brown couch and Andy sat next to me. "Do you want some tea? I'll grab some for you. Wait here a second." The old lady left to the back of the house where the kitchen located.

"Is she your Aunt?" I asked Andy.

"What? Who? Oh Reiko-san? No, no! Do I look Japanese to you?”

“Well obviously not!” I replied.

“I'm just close to her that's why I treat her as my own aunt. You can call her just Reiko. She loves to be called with that name. She said that nickname make her feel young."

I chuckled when Andy told the story about Reiko-san and I was sure I'm going to like her. A couple minutes later, Reiko-san came back to the living room with a tray on her hands with green tea and some snacks.

"Oh you don't have to, Reiko-san," I got up and help her with the tray.

"No no no! I love doing this. Come, eat some! Looks like you both need something to eat. Oh and don't call me Reiko-san, just call me Reiko."

Andy gave me an i-told-you look at me. He then quickly grabbed a ball like snack that I didn’t know what it is and he munched it while one of his hands held a cup and sipped the tea. My tummy made a sound and it was embarrassing. Andy laughed and I threw a cushion to him to make him stop.

Reiko-san offered me the snack and I said thank you to her. “Kurikinton,” she said. “It made from chestnuts and mashed Japanese sweet potatoes mixed with the syrup from the candied chestnuts,” she explained to me.

“Just try it, it taste great!” said Andy and I nodded taking a bite. I didn't eat anything since I came to Japan and it was all because of Andy's fault.

"Reiko-san," said Andy after he put the cup on the coffee table. "We plan to spend some nights in here, if it's okay with you?"

"Oh of course you can. I'm going to be so happy to have you both as my guests. You can use the bedroom that you always used, Andrew," said Reiko-san. "You want to put your bags in the room, dear?" Now she asked me.

"If you don't mind?" I said.

"I'll take you there," Reiko-san took my hand and we headed to the second floor.

I hadn't grabbed my backpack but Andy said I could go first and he would take our backpacks upstairs. The stairs were made from woods and it made screeching voice while we went upstairs. I saw some pictures hanging on the wall and I saw a picture of a pretty girl.

"Who is she? Is that your daughter?"

Reiko-san looked at me, and the picture and she nodded as we walked back to find the bedroom. "Yes, she's my beautiful daughter, but she isn't here. Well, here it goes!" Reiko-san opened the bedroom door and welcomed me to come inside. Andy came to the bedroom not so long after that. His face look confused and he frowned.

"Ehm… Reiko-san? And where is my room?"

"You need another room? I don't have one, son. The other room is being use now. There is a tourist stayed in the other room, and they already booked it for a week. I thought you're going to share. Oh come on she's your girlfriend, no need to be shy," she smirked.

"No, Reiko-san. Andy and I are not…" I quickly gave her an explanation, but Andy cut me.

"Well it's okay. I can sleep in the couch in the living room. You can sleep here, Kels!"

He put my backpacks in the room and he walked downstairs to the living room, followed by Reiko-san. They left me in the bedroom alone. I sat at the edge of the bed and wondered. Lot of questions came into my mind but I was just going to avoid it for now and took a good night sleep first.

***


I put my clothes on after finished taking a bath, and then went downstairs to find Reiko-san. I found her at the kitchen, preparing things for breakfast.

"Oh morning, dear! Did you have a good sleep last night?" She asked me while she kept chopping spring onion.

I nodded and smiled. "Is there anything I can help you in the kitchen?" I asked as I walked to her right side.

"Oh sure you can. Here, help me make some tamagoyaki,” Reiko-san gave me a bowl full of eggs

I quickly grabbed the eggs, cracked it and then whisked it on a bowl. I’ve never make tamagoyaki before, but Reiko-san showed me how to do it first. I wasn’t really good at cooking but I was a fast learner. I cooked and divide it in equal so everyone got the same portion. When I was busy with the eggs, Andy walked by crossed the backyard to a hill in the back of the house. I didn’t realize I stared at him until Reiko-san cleared her throat.

“What’s in there?”

“A small temple,” she answered and I nodded.

"Can I ask you more about Andy?"

"Sure, anything," she answered as she walked around the kitchen grabbed this and that.

"How do you first meet? And you both are so close." No answer from Reiko-san so I turned around to see her and she was standing in front of the fridge with a sad face. She sighed and walked toward me.

"You make me remember about the thing that I don't want to remember, dear."

"Oh I'm s-sorry. You d-don't have to tell me. I'm sorry, I don't have manner. Really, sorry."

"No, no it's fine. I think you should know. Maybe you can help Andrew get through and move on," said Reiko-san as she patted my back.

"Help him?" I asked as I finished cooking the last egg and put it onto the plate.

"Well, Andrew first came here three years ago. He came with his band. I don't know how they end up here, in Shirakawa. Vacation maybe. They stay at my place for a while and they were all so nice. Andy even helped my only daughter practicing her English, and they started to get closer and closer."

My heart skipped a beat when Reiko-san just told me that Andy closed to her daughter. I tried not to show any emotion in front of her but I didn't know why I feel like this though.

"They spent lot of time together, helping people in the neighborhood and so on. In that time, Misa was already sick and I was so happy when I saw my daughter had her smile back. Unfortunately her smile didn't last long. She's gone a few months after Andy first came to our lives and he wasn't there on Misa’s side"

I gasped and hold my mouth with both of my hands. I couldn't believe Andy had a life like that. I thought he never had problem because he seemed like didn't care about anything. Reiko-san continued her story again.

"He was so down and I never see him again for a while. I'm so surprised when yesterday I saw Andrew come back here with you…" She stopped. "You're different dear, b-but you make me remember about Misa,” said Reiko-san and she held my hand.

Her tears ran down to her cheeks and now I felt bad asked her about her past. When I saw Reiko-san cry, I remembered about Andy. It must be hard come back to the place that he wanted to forget. And suddenly I remembered about my Dad. He was so sad when my Mom passed away and I became such a defended person when he said he's going to marry a new woman. I wipe my tears and I hugged Reiko-san. Right after that Andy opened the door and he saw us.

"Is there anything I miss in here?" He raised his eyebrows.

"I-it is... Uhm... Ah..." I stuttered, didn't know what to say to him.

"It's all because of the onion and the spices. Boys boys boys, never know anything about kitchen," Reiko-san wiped her tears and she smirked at him.

I nodded several times like crazy and hope he would believe us. Andy twitched his lips and mumbled but he didn't ask anything to us. So I guessed he didn't suspicious that we just talk about him a few minutes ago. Andy took a seat in the dinner table so I asked him for some meals.

"Do you want some egg or two?"

He gave me a big smirked and raised three of his fingers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello there everyone!!! I'm back and I'm truly sorry for keeping you all hanging like this. I've been insanely busy in the past year, with university stuff, making movies, and my final thesis. I'm still busy though, I'm going to shoot for a commercial tomorrow but I'll try my best to update this fanfic. I already write four more chapters, and I'll update it more often if I got more subs and readers.

Anyway it feels so good to be back in mibba. Hope to see you around!

Cheers and hugs,
Fasya!