Fear Is Just for Losers

Air Time

After Punk and Regal had made their way backstage again, I waited for Penny, my stomach rolling. I rubbed my bruise, realizing how sweaty my palms had become. It was disgusting and even though I hated the feeling, there was no discreet way to try and wipe it off with all the fans and cameras around. I swallowed hard, finding it difficult to believe that I had just realized how nervous I was out here. I don't think I'd ever been so nervous in my life. It was a wonder that my hands weren't shaking.
The only positive thing I could make of the experience was that it was probably going to be a simple task to fall asleep tonight.
Soon, Penny cued me and I stood to enter the ring again. Only this time, the lights dimmed and the crowd went crazy. People jumped up and down, holding their signs in the air. I looked to the ramp and saw Jeff Hardy hunched over on the titantron. He beat his head to the song that pumped out of the speakers. My mouth dropped.
Luckily Penny got my attention.
"This match is scheduled for one fall..." My eyes widened. Did I just forget his weight? "Weighing in at 225 pounds from Cameron, North Carolina... Jeff Hardy!"
As he walked down the ramp, he put his hands into the audience, allowing the fans to touch him and give him high- fives. Then, he climbed the stairs and got into the ring. My cheeks flushed red for the millionth time. He was even cuter up close.
Jeff raised an unimpressed eyebrow at me and continued onto the turnbuckle. My heart sunk. Had I given myself away already?
The song changed, making it sound like new years. A countdown. Then, a man made his way onto the titantron. The crowd began yelling their displeasure. "You suck!" As he walked down the ramp, his eyes remained focused on Jeff in the ring. He looked angry. He was definitely a good actor; I believed him.
I caught Penny's cue from my peripheral vision. "And making his way to the ring from Manhasset, New York, weighing 226 pounds... Chris Jericho!"
The people booed louder. I bit my lip. Tough crowd.
Then, I exited the ring and sat down. I barely had any time to recover some self control before Penny grabbed my attention again. Don't tell me Lillian wasn't ready. This was plenty of time. She gestured to herself and then to me. Her finger pointed watch. After that, the titantron. It took a minute to pull together everything that she wanted to say, but at last I figured it out. I mouthed the words to her, making sure I was correct.
"We're leaving?"
She nodded. "Wait." She mouthed back.
I guessed that she didn't want us standing up during a match. We'd probably move as Jeff and Chris made their way back up the ramp.
It wasn't that long of a match and soon Penny was leading me down backstage again. We passed Lillian on the way. She smiled politely as I waved to her.
Leeanna was waiting for me when we returned. She smiled brightly.
"Oh my gosh, Alexa! You did so well! It didn't sound like you've only been here for a day!"
My mouth dropped open. Really? "But I was so nervous! How could it have not shown?"
She wrapped her arm around mine and pulled me away from the crowd of crew members. Then she gave me a look. "Well, you did turn a little pink when Jeff came out and," She grinning a little. "I think he noticed."
I closed my eyes, embarrassment washing over me. "Oh no!"
"It's okay though. I'm just warning you."
Now how was I ever going to be able to look at him again? I silently cursed my fair skin.
"Alexa," a new voice spoke behind me.
I turned around to see who had called me.
Mr. McMahon was smiling.
"Oh hello, Vince." I grinned back, nervousness shooting through my veins again. Had I done alright announcing?
He gestured to follow him and I gave Leeanna a look, wondering if I should be scared. She ignored my look though, pushing me forward. The chairman led us silently down a few corridors and opened up the door to his office. When he was seated, he pointed to the chairs and front of his desk.
I didn't like how quiet we had become. Had I done a bad job and Leeanna was just trying to make me feel good?
"Alexa," he began, leaning forward in his chair.
Here it comes. My heart pounded. You're fired. Go home.
"I'd just like to say that I think you did a spectacular job today."
I blinked, shocked.
"If you're camera shy, you didn't show it."
Leeanna beamed at Mr. McMahon. "I really can't believe how well she did considering it's her first day!"
He nodded and crossed his arms. "I think you've already begun to prove your worth in this company."
My mouth dropped. This was unreal.
"Some of my guys have already expressed their approval of my newest employee and I'm not just talking the wrestlers themselves." He leaned back in his chair again. "But my tech crew as well. Things are looking up for you, Alexa. Also..."
He turned to his laptop and pulled up the official WWE web page. His fingers scrambled across the keys until he entered the forums and found a recent entry. Mr. McMahon smiled and turned the screen so I could read.
"7:25 PM, by Batistafan1040, 'Does anyone else think Lillian Garcia's new replacement is smokin' hot?'"
Underneath were a number of similar positive replies:
"Yeah. Who's the new girl? Did the WWE hire a new diva? Finally!"
and
"I don't know who replaced Lillian tonight, but man was she was pretty good. I want to see more of that!"
I looked back to Mr. McMahon.
"Looks like you've already got some fans."
My cheeks flushed red and I couldn't hold back a smile. "Thank you so much!"
Then, the chairman leaned back and crosses his arms once more. "So, would you consider interviewing the guys for air time? At least until we can get you wrestling?"
I didn't even know what to say. This much success in almost a half an hour?! I cleared my throat and sat up straight.
"Whatever you want me to do, Vince, I'll do it."
He nodded, a grin creeping its way across his lips. "We'll start getting you air time in a week or so, that way Leeanna can prepare you." He looked to my new friend.
She nodded and gave me an encouraging smile.
"Well now that that's been taken care of, why don't you take Alexa out to watch the show for the rest of the evening. She's had quite a first day."
"Of course."
-------------------------------------------------------
My heart was racing as Leeanna guided me to the small employee section of the arena and we took our seats. She handed me a small headset and yelled at me.
"This is so you can hear JR and King!"
I nodded and pulled the headset over my ears. I couldn't help but want to jump up and down like many of the fans around me. There were so many people- all different shapes, sizes, backgrounds and ethnicities... and they were all here to see what WWE had to offer. I felt on top of the world to know that now, I was apart of it.
My success within the last day was beyond a miracle. I'd gone from no one to someone in hours. I'd been a runaway yesterday, and today, I was a WWE employee. I had already started making friends and I couldn't imagine what things would be like a month from now. How much better would things get? I'd be traveling the world and making something of myself. I silently thanked whatever higher power was watching over me.
"I've never seen an audience so hyped up before!" I heard JR call into my ear. I smiled wide. "It's already been quite an eventful night here in Raleigh, North Carolina, and it's not even over yet!"
I clapped my hands and laughed. What else was in store for us then?
Leeanna elbowed me and winked. She must have seen the smile on my face.
The whole night continued on in this same fashion. Wrestler after wrestler "making his way to the ring," and lots and lots of fighting and trash talking. It seemed like forever since I'd been in my hotel room. I didn't mind though- there was nowhere else I wanted to be. Soon, Leeanna called to me.
"Come on!" she said, pulling at my arm. "The shows almost over! The next match is the main event!"
Aww.
I wanted to stay and watch Triple H fight John Cena, but I followed obediently until we were backstage again. Many of the wrestlers we had seen fighting earlier were gathered around a large plasma television waiting for the bell to signal the start of the match.
"Where are we going?" I asked as she continued down the corridor.
She turned down another long hallway and opened the second door on the left.
"I've gotta give you your plane ticket."
Sweeeeet!
She picked up a long folded piece of paper and handed it to me. "Your flight is for 10:45 tomorrow." She quickly looked back at the clipboard left on the table. "We've already made arrangements for a cab to pick you up and get you to the airport."
Wow. First class service or what!?
"Where are we headed?" I interrupted.
"Tampa."
My eyes widened. "I've never been to Florida."
Her jaw dropped. "You haven't?!"
I shook my head.
"Oh my gosh Alexa, you've soooo been missing out!" Her eyes fluttered, recalling previous visits.
I smiled. "So, how will I know where to be and stuff?"
She took the folded paper out of my hands and opened it up to reveal a piece of paper with formally written instructions. "It's all here." She pointed. "Where your hotel is, how to check in, where to be and at what time. You don't need to worry about a thing."
Cool.
Then, she glanced down at her watch. "I think you can probably head out now; I'm sure you need the sleep. Just remember. 10:45. You gotta be ready."
I nodded. "I will be."
Leeanna smiled wide. "Okay. I'll see you in Tampa then."