Status: Completed! The sequel is up now.

Choke on Your Misery

Don't Listen to the World

Zack

I grabbed my guitar, figuring I needed something to keep my hands busy so I wouldn’t feel the urge to cut. That wouldn’t be good. I only played it for a few minutes before I heard a knock at my door.

"If you are male, stay the hell out of here," I called irritably. The door opened, and my grandma poked her head in.

"Does that mean I'm allowed in?" she questioned.

I sighed, setting my guitar down, "Yeah."

Grandma came into my room, shutting the door behind her. She sat down beside me on my bed. "Your father and grandfather are sorry; they didn't realize how sensitive the subject is to you," she told me.

I frowned, looking down. "They don't understand."

“No, they don’t, honey. You’re the first person in the family to be bisexual – or to come out about it, anyway.” She patted my hand reassuringly. “For some people, it’s just hard to grasp the concept. Your father and grandfather happen to be two of those people.”

“Which sucks,” I grumbled.

“They’ll come around. Tell me – do you really like this boy?” Grandma asked.

I blushed slightly, “Yeah.”

“He’s special to you?”

“Yes. Where are you going with this, grandma?” I questioned, looking up at her.

She chuckled, “If you like Alex as much as you say, then forget about what your father says, and anyone else. Just show him that Alex makes you happy; he’ll realize that soon enough. Even though he doesn’t show it, I know it matters to him that you’re happy. As long as you are, he won’t care if you’re gay or straight or bisexual.”

“You really think he’ll come around?” I asked doubtfully.

“I think he will. When you were having trouble last year, your parents were heartbroken over the fact that you were suffering and there wasn’t much they could do about it. Seeing you happy will make your father get over the whole bisexual issue,” she said, patting me on the shoulder. “And if he doesn’t... well, you can always live with me. I’ll let Alex come too.”

I laughed, “This is why I love you. Thanks, Grandma.”

Grandma smiled, “You’re welcome. Now, if you’re ready to go back downstairs, we’ve got a few birthday presents for you.”

“Let’s go, then.” I followed my grandma back downstairs. My mom was putting the dinner dishes into the sink. “Um, sorry for my little outburst...”

“No, we’re sorry for offending you. I should have realized I was taking it too far,” Grandpa sighed.

“It’s okay, Grandpa.”

“Enough chitchat; I promised Zack presents,” Grandma clapped her hands together, and we chuckled.

“Here; you can have this one first,” Grandpa picked up a gift bag and handed it to me as I sat down beside him at the table. I pulled out a piece of tissue paper before pulling out two CDs at the bottom of the bag.

“The new Blink-182 and New Found Glory albums? Sweet,” I grinned, looking up at my grandparents. “I was just wondering when I would save up the money to get these.”

“Your mother mentioned a few CDs that you would like, and said you didn’t have those two yet,” Grandma smiled.

My mom dried her hands off with a towel, walking over to us. “Your father and I have something for you, too. Why don’t you go into the living room and find out what it is?” she suggested, a smile tugging at the corner of her mouth.

“Um, okay...” I raised an eyebrow, slowly getting up. I walked into the living room, and my eyes widened. Lying on the couch in an opened case was a brand new bass guitar. “No way!”

I heard the four of them laugh, joining me in the living room. My dad patted me on the shoulder as I picked the guitar up. “Was this the one you mentioned that you wanted a few weeks back?” he asked.

I nodded, stunned that my parents had actually bought it for me. “Yeah, this is exactly it.”

“We know you boys plan on playing some more small shows, so we figured now was the perfect time to get this for you,” Mom smiled.

“Judging by the look in his eyes, I’ll assume that he likes it,” Grandma laughed.

“Definitely,” I nodded quickly, looking up and shooting a grin at my parents. “Thank you!”

“You're welcome." Mom kissed me on the cheek as I looked at the guitar, fingers itching to play it. “Go on upstairs and try it out, if you’d like. Your grandparents will stay down here and talk with us.”

“Awesome. Thanks again,” I said, picking up the case and running upstairs to try it out.

After playing it for a little while, I picked up my phone and dialed Alex’s number. I was dying to tell him about my new bass. He answered after the second ring.

“Hey, birthday boy!” Alex greeted.

I chuckled, “Hey baby. Guess what my parents got me for my birthday?”

“A rocket ship?” he asked, sounding hopeful.

“A little more realistic,” I said with a smile.

“A toy rocket ship.”

“You’re such a dork. They got me a new bass guitar! It’s fucking sweet,” I said, lying back on my bed.

“No way! That one we saw at the mall a few weeks ago?” Alex asked.

“That’s the one.”

“Lucky bitch. I want a new guitar... though I have three and you have three now, so I suppose we’re even,” Alex mused.

I smiled, “But mine are better.”

“Are not,” Alex protested.

“One of mine is pink; beat that,” I said, and Alex was silent for a moment.

“Mine’s... yeah, I don’t really have a comeback for that,” Alex sighed, and I laughed. “Anyway, I forgot to mention earlier; you’re coming over here on Saturday night so I can take you out for dinner. Or I’ll come next door and get you; whoever gets ready first.”

“Sounds good,” I said with a smile. “What time are we leaving?”

“Most likely around six, but don’t worry about what time you’ll be home. That’s part of what I talked to your mom about,” Alex said.

“What do you mean; you plan on us being out late?” I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

Alex chuckled, “Something like that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Listen to Your Heart - The Maine

I think I'm gonna do a chapter in Alex's POV next. I haven't done his POV in quite a while.

This one was just a filler/continuation from the last chapter, really. I meant to get it up last night but forgot.

Thanks to:
kew_atl
Party Ghoul

for the comments. :)