Chasers

Training

"I don't know," Kitty's dad said. "Not many wizards have to be trained, not unless they have some true power under there. Most of the time they have those powers for as long as they can remember, but in these incidents they need some help coming out." His eyes lit up as though he had just thought of something. "Maybe because his dad was the wizard and is now dead, he was never taught how to use his powers. In that case, we just have to teach him."

I was a bit worried about this. What if something happens? This is magic, not some new technology, not some formula to help you find "x", this could actually hurt someone.

We teleported to an old corn field, hoping a farmer wouldn't come by. "Magic is caused by a sort of emotion, strong emotions, usually fear or anger. Can you think of something that would make you angry?" Kitty's father asked.

I couldn't think of anything, but then I thought of something that made me fear for my life. I concentrated on that feeling. Nothing. "I'm not getting anything," I said to him. I kept focusing on it though.

"You're almost there," her mother said. "I can feel it."

"The first time always takes time, but after that it should come easier," her father explained. "Should I give him a push?"

"No," Kitty's mom said. "Don't you..." Just then a burst of fire came by me. Instinct pushed me with both fear and anger. I somehow caught it, did a 360 degree turn and threw it back at him. He put up some kind of force field to block, but I just kept going, fireball after fireball, until he flew backwards.

Realizing what had happened, I fell to my knees. I'm sure I heard the screams of the people around me, but it was drowned out by the creeping blackness crawling into my view as I passed out.