Chasers

Talking

"Good," I said, even though I felt anything but good. As far as I knew, I just killed a man. "Did he die?" I asked her just to make sure.

"He's been through worse. He'll be fine," She said, even though I could see she was hoping that she was right about that. For my sake, I hoped she was right as well. There was a bit of an awkward moment there.

I would have thought she would be mad, but she seemed unusually calm. Just then her Mom appeared, making me jump a little. "He's fine," she said. "He's still unconscious, but he'll be fully healed in a few days. You should go home, Andriy. I'll send you over to your house and you should come back tomorrow and we'll talk about teleportation, a power every wizard masters."

Just then, I was out in front of my house. I let myself in and the first thing my mother does is hug me. "Where the hell were you?" That's my mom, I thought. "The school called and apparently you weren't there."

"Mom," I said. "I think you should sit down for this."

"No. You don't tell me what to do. I'll sit down if I want to sit down," she said, defiantly. After a pause she said, "You're not on druugs, are you?"

"No, Mom,"I said, and because I knew that she'd check me into the nearest mental institute if I told her, I focused on the same emotion that I emitted when I attacked Kitty's dad and BAM, a fireball sat in my hand. I had more control this time, I think because no one had just attacked me with a fireball. But after that, I just passed out.

When I woke up, I was on my bed, with my mom staring down on me like I was "the cutest thing." As soon as I woke up she started talking, "I really hoped you wouldn't find out. It's why I made your father leave. He never died. I think you should go see him. But you have to promise me that, after you see him, you won't miss any more school. And no showing off your powers to other kids. Normal people aren't able to handle the truth, I almost lost my mind when your father showed me. But I loved him. But, when we were going to have you, I couldn't allow him to be able to teach you. I didn't want any harm to come to you, so he left."

I sat there in stunned silence unable to say anything. "Do you promise you'll try to stay in school if I let you see your father?" she asked. "He'll be able to teach you everything you need to know."

"As long as Kitty can come with me," I said, not knowing what I was thinking.

"Sure," she said. "Now get some sleep. I'm going to drive you to your friends house tomorrow, and we'll get permission from her mom to take her. Then we start the road trip, your father lives in Denver, Colorado. It'll be quite a drive." Then she left me alone, in the dark, a man and his thoughts.