Chasers

Colorado?

After my mom teleported Andriy away, she got a tired look on her face. I quickly walked over to her, hugging her softly and burying my face in her neck.

"How's he really doing?" I asked quietly. I had a feeling she was hiding something because Andriy was in the room.

She was shaking as she pulled away. "The burns were pretty bad, Kitty...he should be fine, but he can't be around too much heat..."

I nodded, my hand resting on her shoulder. She looked up at me, offering me a small smile before she Teleported back to the hospital.

I sighed, bringing the two untouched water glasses back to the kitchen. I then went upstairs for a shower before retreating to my room and falling asleep.

~

The next morning, I was awakened by a doorbell. I glanced at the clock as I crawled out of bed. 9:42. Guess I slept in a bit...but my mom had me excused from classes due to Dad's condition.

I groggily stumbled down the stairs, glancing through the peep-hole as I reached the door. I then hastily unlatched and opened the door, revealing Andriy and his mother.

"U-Uhm, hullo, c'mon in," I said, tired enough to unbury my Irish accent. I stood aside, closing the door behind them and walking into the sitting room.

"If you don't mind, I'll get me mum...it'll only take a moment," I said with a smile before I walked into the kitchen. I opened my mind, and not but a few seconds later, my mom appeared in the kitchen, a confused look on her face.

"Andriy's mum's here," I said, rubbing my cheek and fighting a yawn. She nodded, walking out to the living room and sparking up conversation with Mrs. Truss.

I grabbed some water before heading back, sinking into an arm chair opposite the couch. Realization hit me that I probably looked like a hot mess, and a quick glance in the mirror confirmed. I sighed...oh well. I took a quick sip of water when my mom shifted uncomfortably.

"I don't mean to be...harsh, but may I ask why you came?" she asked tentatively.

Mrs. Truss laughed softly. "Of course,  of course. Andriy and I were going on a little road trip to Colorado...Denver, to be precise, and we were wondering if Kitty would like to tag along? With your permission."

My mom probably got something from her mind, because her expression changed from confused to happy too quickly for my liking...

"Yes, that sounds like a great idea," my mom said, looking over at me. I smiled, though I was still confused about a spontaneous trip to Colorado...

"About how many days should I pack for?" I asked, standing to go to my room.

"Oh, Andriy, go with her and give her the details," his mom said, waving him off. I shrugged, walking back up the stairs...and tripping, again...until I made it to my room. I picked up a bag that seemed way to small for clothes, earning a look from Andriy, who leaned up against the door frame.

"It's pretty much a bottomless pit," I say over my shoulder as I shove t-shirts and skinny jeans into the bag.

I pause in my packing, plopping down on my bed, patting a spot next to me. Andriy slowly walked over to me, and I stare straight ahead until I feel the bed sink, protesting against his weight.

"So...Colorado?" I ask him. I pick myself up, turning to face him and crossing my legs.