Chasers

Rage and Ruin

I wanted to take the car instead of teleporting, mostly because I wanted to feel normal. But there was also this fear I had. Where would we end up?

In Kitty's bedroom, I explained everything. I hoped we wouldn't be there long, I didn't want to have to skip more than a few days of school and end up having to repeat the grade, but I also hoped I could spend as much time as I could with my father, maybe even convince him to move back to Scarvatown.

Hours went by and we went through state after state. We stopped in nearly every state for food, then ended up getting a hotel in St. Louis. I slept in a room with mom while Kitty got her own room, but we ended up staying up late to talk math.

"It'll take us about fourteen hours to get to Denver, tomorrow. We'll have to be on the road at seven and we'll grab a hotel in Denver at around nine and see Cole the next morning," she said, a tear dripping from her eye. I realize she must still love him. I wonder if he's ever visited her behind my back. To this day, I don't know. I never asked her.

I told my mother that I'd be right back. She replied with the usual, "Be in bed before we have to leave tomorrow, and when I say before I don't mean one minute before, I mean an hour, at least."

"Yes, mom," I told her as I walked out of the room, rolling my eyes.

Kitty followed me out. I thought she was going to her room, but she ended up coming along with me. "You have a really cool mom, her letting you stay up another minute, let alone all night."

Her being there unraveled me a bit. I was hoping to get some alone time, not be pried open. "What's your angle, right now?" I yelled a bit too loud, being I had almost killed her father just yesterday, and here she was, not having any hard feelings about it, or maybe she just hid it real well. "I don't need an interrogation on how it makes me feel to see my dead father!" I said, emphasizing the "dead."

Her face twisted with emotion and I could tell she was deciding on whether to go all out on me or just walk away. In the end, she ended up walking back to her room, but that didn't stop her from slamming the door. It was only then I realized that she only walked away to refrain her from throwing a fit the way I had when her dad threw a fireball at me. I made my way to the stairs and collapsed, crying, in a way I had never before.