Chasers

The Medallion

I stayed silent the whole elevator ride. It got crowded real fast. I was stuck in the corner, with Kitty in the other, and when our floor came up we had to shove past everyone.

We didn't speak as we searched for the door with our number on it. When we found it, I focused on my emotion, ready to work my magic... literally.

Kitty opened the door and I was the first one in, but surprisingly enough there was no one there, except my mom, lying on the bed, dried blood caking her upper lip.

An instinct told me to look back near the doorway, and there standing on the counter, was the old guy. THE old guy.

He moved, lightning fast, and shoved my face in the ground, putting some sort of shield up between us and Kitty, which made Kitty back off, instantly. "Is this how you treat a stranger for saving your lives?" he asked. "And I'm not even a stranger, I'm your father."

This didn't come as a shock to me. I had already figured it out. He seemed to realize this and got off me, releasing the shield. Kitty just stood there.

I was feeling bitter, not sure of my real emotions. I almost wanted to hit him, but mostly because I would've hit anything right then, he was just the closest thing to me, and I almost did hit him, but I had more self-restraint than that.

"You know why I left, but you need to know something. Those vampires aren't after her," he said, pointing at Kitty. "They think you have it, the medallion."

Seconds later, we were in a dimly lit cavern-like basement. It reminded me of Batman. But there, in front of us, was the medallion. It was golden. I was tempted to sell it to the highest bidder.

"It's brilliant, isn't it?" he whispered in my ear. "Those vampires needed to die. They're menaces to this world."

I would've hit him, right there for being insane, if he hadn't broken down, then and there.

He was blubbering on about Mom. I had to check on her. I teleported to the hospital. A stake was driven through my Mom's head, vampire on top of her, unaware of my presence.