Chasers

Art

I sighed in relief as the bell ran for second period. Thank God...physics is impossible at 9 in the morning...

I had just put my book in my bag before I realized someone was standing close to my desk. I quickly stood, placing my bag on my chair and turning to face the guy who had walked up.

"Hi...I'm Andriy," he said with a smile.

I smiled back. "Hey...Kitty," I replied, offering to shake his hand. As he took it, I couldn't help but feel something...strange...

I tilted my head a bit. Magic? Maybe...but I'll find out later.

"What class do you have next?" I found myself asking. "I've got no idea where anything is..."

"Oh, I've got Art," he said, looking at his schedule.

"Mrs...Rayne?" I asked tentatively, glancing at my own schedule. This was received with a nod and a smile, so I picked up my bag and let him lead the way.

We finally made it, just before the tardy bell...the classroom was on the other side of the building.

The teacher stood and cleared her throat, looking over the students with soft, kind eyes. She introduced herself and recorded the people before assigning seats. She had us organized by grade.

"Helen...Andriy...Kitty..." she listed, pointing to the seats. I quickly set down my bag and sank into my seat, glad to be sitting by someone I knew. I opened my bag, pulling out my sketchpad and opening to a new page. The teacher gave us no assignments except to draw. I rested my head on my hand and started sketching blindly. When I came back to my senses, I realized I had started drawing a dragon...not just any dragon, though.

Shikaru. I had him as a pet a few years back, before I moved here. He had been an amazing dragon...but he had to leave because of the people. The memories brought a smile to my face.

I added some details and shading before putting his name and the date at the bottom. I glanced up and met Andriy's eyes. I tilted my head again, offering a small smile. What seemed so different? Could it really be magic?