Chasers

Bloodlust

We were back in the medallion room. It was a plain white, with one wooden wall. Seemingly, there was no way out, but my father walked over to the wooden wall and knocked, in a rhythmic pattern that didn't even sound musical; I guess that was so no one would ever figure it out. I made sure I memorized it, going over and over it in my head, somehow knowing that I would use it in some way.

The wall opened up and, as cliché as it sounds, the wall was really the backside of a bookcase. The bookcase slid open to reveal a kitchen, an exact twin of mine at home. "When you were away, I came over," he said, sounding sad. "I made this house, a twin of yours, so that I wouldn't forget. I really loved your mother, and I love you."

"I believe you," I said, looking at the books, pretending to be interested, so that I wouldn't have to look him in the eyes. I knew that one slight tell could give my scheme away.

"Sit down," he said. "I want to tell you my plan." He walked over to a desk and pulled out a chair from underneath it. I sat in it and he pushed me in. On the desk was a book. The title of the book read, "Vampirism." "A friend gave me this book. Not all wizards just grew up knowing about Vampires, especially back in my day..."

The whole time he talked, I pictured his head exploding, the artery in his temple spewing blood. I was drunk with bloodlust. He weaved a fanatical story about how his parents were killed by these beings and he talked about his plan to take revenge. He has their medallion, now he's going to hit them while they're down.

"I'm going to attack their breeding chamber; Thousands of Vampire children will be dead, all by my hand." His lips curled into a smile and that act of cockiness gave me this burst of pressure, as if my life would be incomplete unless I got to hit him.

For a brief second, I paused to think about Kitty, and suddenly, everything in me was calm. I didn't want to hit the man that stood before, yet I knew I didn't want him to get away with the genocide of the entire Vampire species. What was I going to do, and how would I do it?