Chasers

The Queen

I sat against the wall of the cell, closing my eyes as my head pounded. Of course the Queen would take her sweet time...

The guard banged his axe against the wall for the fifth time, causing me to growl and stand.

"Fine, fine, I'm standing," I spat, glaring at the vampire, who of course showed no reaction. My magic doesn't work in the cell...

"Her Majesty is ready for you," my guard said, turning abruptly on his heel and opening the door. I blinked, calming myself before I gave them another reason to hit me...I still had blood on my forehead from earlier. I followed the vampire, practically running to keep his pace. There were so many turns and tunnels...I was surprised vampires didn't get lost. He stopped abruptly, almost making me run into him while he tapped on the wall four times.

I watched mutely as the apparently solid stone wall opened, revealing the Queen's chamber. I followed the guard's cue, walking where he walked and stopping just behind him. The door closed with an ominous thud, enveloping the room in almost total darkness.

"Leave us."

I jumped, whirling around to come almost face-to-face with the Queen. I was vaguely aware of the other vampire leaving, instead focusing on remaining perfectly still while the Queen stared at me.

"Kitty," the Queen started, circling like a predator, "what information, exactly, do you have for me? My children are very...anxious..."

"I know who has your medallion," I replied, my voice surprisingly steady. The Queen was in front of me now, closing in until she was not a foot away. She reached out slowly, catching a bit of my blood on her finger and tasting it. Her eyes closed, as if she were savoring the flavor, before she started circling again.

"This...Mr. Truss?" she asked, to which I merely nodded. I guess vampires could see your memories with just a taste of blood.

"Oh, I am sorry about your father, dear," she purred, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"What do you mean...your Majesty?" I asked softly, feeling my muscles tense under her touch.

"Well surely you know he didn't survive that last attack, no?" she asked, a hint of impatience.

"Well anyway," she continued, swatting away the matter as one would an annoying fly.
"Thank you for this insight. I obviously have no choice but to call war on this human to reclaim my medallion. You'll be returned to your cell until we...figure out what to do with you."

Which means I won't last the night.