Chasers

Feeding

I sighed, sinking down the wall of my cell. A new guard had taken shift, keeping his gaze trained on me whenever he wasn't checking the time.

I felt numb. My dad...I'd had a feeling he hadn't made it, but knowing was so much worse. What of mum? She was probably worried sick...she hadn't heard from me since I left.

My thoughts then wandered to Andriy. I suppose I should be mad at him, but I couldn't find the anger.

The guard checked his pocket watch again, this time a smile crossing his face.

"Up," he commanded, advancing on me.
"It's time."

I stood slowly, letting him lead me out the room. I thought about running...

"You cannot escape," he hissed, his eyes turning dark.
"You'll only get hurt, witch..."
I nodded, and followed behind him.

We passed an odd room, with a loud hum that sounded almost like a machine. He continued on, pulling me down some spiral stairs until we reached another level. The air had a strange smell to it, leaving a chill I couldn't shake off.

Then I saw why.

This was the feeding room.
Dozens of human feeders sat in small metal chairs, the vampires drinking from their arms. I was brought to a chair, chains securing my arms behind it and to the floor.

But humans are different than witches. If a witch gets bitten, they die...

Almost as if reading my mind, the vampire pulled out a bowl and a knife.

"Witch's blood will bring strength to the Queen," he said, smiling as he drew the blade across my skin. I winced, feeling the warm liquid run down my arm.
Was this...how I was going to die?