Chasers

The Walk

I opened the door and there, sitting right in front of it was Kitty. I owed her a few words, but I didn't have any to offer, so I just stepped over her.

I made my way into the dining room/ kitchen area. My mom was sitting at the table, eating. I sat down next to her. "So, how did it go?" she asked, like she was waiting for me to spill all the details of the evening. I had barely understood most of it, I had my doubts that a full grown adult would believe in this sort of magic... the real kind.

"Good," I replied as I smiled like nothing was wrong. As I said this, I saw Kitty trying to leave out of the corner of my eye. "Won't you stay. I want to be able to bring you home so I can talk to you some more. You don't live far, do you?" I winked.

"Were you going to ask me?" my mother asked. "I'm fine with it if anyone wants to know, but I'd like it if you'd run these plans by me." I asked her as if the decision hadn't already been made. "Yes, you may," she replied.

A few minutes later, I was walking out the door. "I know you didn't drive here, so which direction should we start walking?" I asked, with her pointing in response. "So, I take it you're going to train me? No offense, but how experienced are you at this?"

"Hey! I got you out of there before you ended up trying to beat up those guys and getting your ass whooped," she exploded. "I've been using my powers nearly all my life. My parents were witches, I have no idea where your power comes from."

"Maybe my father," I said, in deep thought about him. "He died from cancer in the middle of my mom's pregnancy." After I said that there was silence until we got to her house.

"Do you want me to..." She made a gesture that I suppose meant teleport.

"No, I'll walk." Even I need time to reflect on everything that had happened.