Chasers

Memories

I sighed as Andriy turned and started walking back towards his house. I slowly unlocked the door, taking off my shoes before locking it behind me. I went to the kitchen to find my mom and dad looking at me expectantly, silently demanding an explanation.

"I found one," I said simply, walking over to the table and sitting down. They looked at me uncertainly, and I nodded.

"He didn't know about magic, but he has the gift."

My dad arched his eyebrow when I said 'he', opening his mouth to speak. I didn't give him the chance. I rushed out of the kitchen, running upstairs to my room and closing the door. I leaned up against it, face burning furiously. I reached my hand up to my cheek cautiously. Why was I blushing?

I shook it off, getting a quick shower before climbing into my bed and staring at the ceiling. Unbidden thoughts of earlier today sprang to mind. What would have happened if one of the vampires had attacked Andriy? What if one of them had bitten him? Killed him?

I closed my eyes. No, this is why I didn't make friends...because every time I do, they manage to get hurt. I turned my head, eyes resting on a picture of me and one of my friends from a few years back. I didn't remember where we were at the time, but I do remember leaving in a frenzy. My parents had refused to tell me why. I had asked about the girl in the picture...Casey was her name. They didn't speak another word, but I soon found out.

As we were leaving, I saw a poster for a missing child. I saw Casey's picture plastered to the thin and ragged piece of paper.

I looked back to my ceiling, shocked to find tears rolling down my face. I always felt responsible for her, and out of fear of that happening again I just stayed away from people. I closed my eyes again, drifting into an uncomfortable sleep plagued by memories of the past.