Who We Are

Touché

"You're home early," I said happily as I let my father into the house, "I thought you were working late again tonight?"

My dad took off his jacket and hung it over a chair in the kitchen. He opened the fridge and looked inside before he replied. "They hired another guy," he said, "So everyone has to take a a few less hours."

I nodded my head and leaned against the counter in the kitchen. "I haven't even made dinner yet," I said, biting my lip, "Dean is upstairs and we were hanging out for a little bit."

My dad stood up and turned around to face with me a proud smile on his face. He reached his arms out for me and walked forward until I was wrapped tightly. "You're such a good girl, Kat," he murmured, pressing a kiss to the top of my head, "Thank you for that."

I shrugged my shoulders. "It's no big deal."

Dad nodded his head and looked around. "Why haven't the girls come running down the stairs, yet?" he questioned, looking up the stairs where everything had gone quiet.

I chuckled and ran my fingers through my blonde hair. "They're, uh," I muttered, "Lissy and Octavia are hiding from Gwen and Gianna is hunting them down. So they're a little preoccupied at the moment."

"What?" Dad asked, looking at me like I had lost my head, "You're letting Gwendolyn hunt your sisters?"

I shook my head quickly. "I'm letting Gigi hunt them down for Gwen," I corrected, a smile on my lips as I heard Gianna shout from upstairs.

Dad shook his head at her words and motioned towards the stairs. "I'll get the girls," he muttered, "Why don't you start dinner? I'm starving."

I nodded my head. "Sure thing," I murmured, "Just let me get Dean so he can help me out."

I moved up the stairs in front of my father and turned into my room where Dean laid, sprawled out on Gwen's bed as he looked through some magazine. I jabbed a thumb over my shoulder. "My dad's home," I said as he looked over the top of the magazine, "You should come help me make dinner."

Dean groaned unhappily and let his head fall back on Gwen's pillow, the magazine covering his face as he whined.

"Get your butt up," I demanded, reaching out to pull the magazine from him, "I want help."

Dean whined some more but eventually crawled out of the bed and made his way to the kitchen so that he could help by handing me things that I'd need to make dinner. He sat on the counter by the sink and the window, and jabbed my ear off as I made chicken and rice for my family.

He stopped talking and peaked out the window. "Uhm, Kat," he murmured, her eyebrows rising.

"What?" I asked as I stirred the rice in the pan.

He bit his lip for a half a second before he said, "Ronnie Radke is coming this way."

Because of shock, I dropped my metal spoon into the pan of rice and water. I growled under my breath when I realized so I grabbed another utensil to get it out. I set the hot metal on the counter quickly and moved over to the small window. My eyes grew wide when I realized that Dean was right. Ronnie was off of his porch and heading across the grass.

"What is he thinking?" I asked angrily, "My dad is home. Is he just going to walk right in and ask me questions? Is he an idiot?"

Dean shook his head. "Even if he was," he said, "He has all right. People that attractive have every right to skate by on looks alone."

I looked to Dean with my jaw dropped to the floor. "Dean," I scolded, "Stop talking about him like that. He's crazy."

Dean looked at me. "What's the big deal?" he asked, "What if he just needs some... sugar or something?"

I stopped short and looked at him, realizing that it wasn't him I told, but instead Nate and Emily. "I'll tell you later," I said quickly as Ronnie disappeared around the front of my house. "Right now I have to keep Ronnie Radke out of my house."

I moved out of the kitchen quickly and quietly, grateful that my dad was upstairs spending some quality time with the girls. Dean followed me slowly, confusion lacing his expression as I pulled the front door open and stepped outside, coming basically face to face with Ronnie.

My eyes grew wide. "What are you doing here?" I asked quickly. "My dad's car is right there in the driveway."

Ronnie looked over my shoulder lazily. "Oh yeah," he said with a shrug, "You're right."

I sighed in frustration and grabbed his arm. I yanked him across the yard and back towards his house so that the two of us were standing in between our houses. "What do you want?" I asked more slowly this time, "I've got dinner cooking."

Ronnie shoved his hands into the pockets of his tight-fitting jeans. It wasn't a nervous gesture, merely an honest one. He looked up and let his dark eyes meet my light ones. "How come you ran away like you did?" he questioned, his voice firm but wondering.

"I'm not being another Vanna Aaron," I said in reply.

Ronnie's eyebrows furrowed. "What are you talking about?"

"Vanna Aaron," I said simply, "I'm not like her."

Ronnie nodded. "I know that."

"You don't act like you know that."

Ronnie sighed. "Are you saying this because I kissed you?" he questioned, "Just because you kiss someone doesn't make you a slut."

I looked over my shoulder where I knew Dean was watching from the kitchen window. Even though I knew he couldn't hear a thing we were saying I said, "You need to be quiet."

Ronnie grinned slightly and ran his right palm over the fabric of his jeans. "You don't want anyone to know, do you?"

I frowned. "And you do?"

He shrugged. "I'm not opposed."

My frown deepened. "Well, I am," I said matter-a-factly, "So keep your mouth shut."

Ronnie nodded. "Wouldn't want to ruin your sterling reputation, Katerina."

"Oh, you're so funny," I said in reply to his sarcasm.

He smiled and said, "I know."

I looked between us. "What are we even doing right now?"

"Talking," he retorted, "Obviously."

I glared at him, wishing he's explode into a million pieces so I'd have something to explain to Dean other than why Ronnie wanted to speak with me. I turned around and started walking away from Ronnie, only to be pulled back by my wrist.

"Kat, okay. I'm sorry. Let me say what I want to say."

"Then say it," I growled, "I'm not playing games with you, Radke. I'm tired of you marching around like you own everything and everyone in the school. So say what you want to say or stay out of my face." I yanked my wrist away from him roughly and crossed my arms over my chest.

Ronnie's expression was angry for a split second before he controlled himself and forced the look off his face. "Go out with me," he spoke, saying each word individually.

I froze in place, staring at his face wondering if he meant this honestly or if it was some sick joke between him and his friends like in the movies. "Why?" I finally asked, my arms still folded over my chest like they would block any harm from coming to me.

"Because I want you to," Ronnie replied, looking down at me like I was the most unbelievable creature he'd ever seen.

"But why?" I asked again.

Ronnie chuckled and shrugged his shoulder. "Honestly," he said, "I have no idea." Upon seeing me frown, he continued, "But, I do know that I want you to go out with me."

I shook my head. "That's not good enough," I said, "You could just be facing a moment of insanity."

"I'm not," he promised.

I looked into his face. I shook my head. "No," I stated, "I don't believe you."

He didn't look the least disappointed just determined. He pushed his raven hair out of his face and narrowed his eyes. "Okay, let me prove it to you."

"Prove what, exactly?"

He rolled his eyes. "Are you always this dense?"

I glared. "You're insults aren't helping your cause."

"I guess you're right," he nodded, "But let me show you why I want you to go out with me."

"How are you going to do that?"

He smiled. "I don't know, yet."

I dropped the frown from my face and in return "placid" became my features. "This isn't socially acceptable," I told him, picturing the faces of the kids at school. Emily's face.

Ronnie chuckled darkly and leaned forward so that we were real close. "Fuck socially acceptable," he growled, "When have I ever been acceptable?"

"Touché."

Ronnie laughed and nodded his head. "Exactly."
♠ ♠ ♠
This one isn't too short, I don't think.
But guys, I'm not going the best.
Yesterday I learned that my mom is having my dog put down soon.
I've spent all night awake with him so he's not alone.
I'm writing and he's watching me. He's such a good boy.

Unedited, by the way. I'm too tired to try.
Thanks for the recommendations.
Happy Birthday, Derek Jones. (: